Quantcast

Sony AF9 OLED Owners and discussion Thread

kidulysses77

Too much hassle though as the receiver is pretty much fixed in position in a recess. Also the iPhone hi res stream thing seemed really handy along with the potential to use Tidal on the TV. Convenience is everything!

I’ve got another stereo system consisting of a Naim Supernait 2, Chord 2Qute DAC and an Airport Express Gen 1.

Whole system is OOA atm but again - I cant stream hi res anyway - the AE is the limiting factor as it only handles up to 16 Bit/44.1khz.

I’ll get hi res music in my living room eventually!

Sorry I realise this is way off topic and not about the AF9 now. 😊

Last edited:

kidulysses77

Ok this is really annoying now. Almost none of the new TV shows on Apple TV are working properly with Dolby Vision. Really taking the shine off of Apple TV Plus for me. Bit gutted.

Geesus

@dave1956a @Geesus
Thank you a lot. I will try this one. Is it also possible to calibrate HDR and Dolby Vision with this software/pattern generator?
HDR is tied in to your SDR calibration, so once you have done SDR successfully your HDR will be accurate too. One of the best things Sony has done for calibration. I don't believe you can do Dolby Vision without a proper pattern generator (but this might have changed recently I don't know) however you can simply use the colour profile that your SDR calibration gives you and apply it to Dolby Vision settings. I have no idea how accurate it is but DV material looks stunning doing it that way.

Geesus

Good to know. :) What are the settings you use on the AF9, for example RGB full or limited?
Isn't there an auto setting? Either way, when you boot up the pattern generator (Pi) if you can see the pattern window you know you have it set right. If you have a blank screen, you have to change it.

sonicblue83

Novice Member
@Geesus
I installed PGenerator on my Pi. So far everything installed fine. But I have two issues now:
1. If I connect the Pi just to the TV it boots up, but after the screen gets black. Is that normal?
2. How can I connect the PGenerator with CALman Home for Sony? If I choose select Pattern Generator, there is no option for the Pi. Which one did you choose and how did you connect the Pi to the Computer (USB?)?

I hope you can help me :)

dave1956a

@Geesus
I installed PGenerator on my Pi. So far everything installed fine. But I have two issues now:
1. If I connect the Pi just to the TV it boots up, but after the screen gets black. Is that normal?
2. How can I connect the PGenerator with CALman Home for Sony? If I choose select Pattern Generator, there is no option for the Pi. Which one did you choose and how did you connect the Pi to the Computer (USB?)?

Select the SpectraCal "Unified Pattern Generator Control Interface" under the "Source" tab in calman

Both the Pi and calman need to be on the same network, ethernet or wifi or one of each

Dont forget you need the calman app for the Sony tv as well as calman software

Geesus

@Geesus

If the screen is black when you boot up the Pi, you have your black level set up wrong on the TV. It boots up to a windowed grey pattern when it is set correctly, so you need to change it on your TV.

Geesus

For what it is worth, had to do my first hard reboot of my AF9 today. Upon turning the TV on, I was presented with a black screen, with the 'HUD' of the TV displaying the input channel, but none of the buttons would work, and there was no image from the connected source.

Had to unplug the TV and replug after 30 seconds and all is good again. Very odd bug. I swear the picture looks cleaner somehow, in terms of bands too. Strange.

Badger1980

Novice Member
Hi every1, just wait for my new AF9 to arrive and I wonder if anybody can give me a heads up how to set it up, i will hook it up with SkyQ
Thanks in advance

CMBmovies

Looks like our sets will be upgraded to android 9 shortly :)
that sounds cool. Any more news on it? I noticed there was a European firmware update the things AF8 and many other models Lately but nothing for our AF9s.

CMBmovies

Just what I’ve been reading on the site across the water ,stating it should start rolling out this month
Good stuff. I wonder if everyone who installed the AG9 firmware will be able to put the new AF9 firmware on.

tigermad

I never understand what the atmos support in a tvs inbuilt speakers does. Surely it can't give them the atmos channels? They are normally for ceiling mounted speakers or at least higher up.

CMBmovies

I never understand what the atmos support in a tvs inbuilt speakers does. Surely it can't give them the atmos channels? They are normally for ceiling mounted speakers or at least higher up.
That’s exactly what it does. :) It’s the same way you get virtual surround currently or atmos in 2ch headphones. It uses phase shifting to mimic the way you hear things to create the illusion of surround. We only have two ears after all and can hear things around and above us.

The AF9 does really good 5.1 surround as it is IMHO. So there no reason why it couldn’t have a height channel for atmos also.

Last edited:

Built To Chill

I also wonder if this could be a way to get iTunes Dolby Vision/Atmos content on to the AF9 without an Apple TV.

While the Apple TV plus app on Roku and Fire TV does not give DV and Atmos, and so might well neither when it comes to Sony TVs, I remember reading that AirPlay 2 does support both.