Sony AF9 OLED TV Owners and discussion Thread

Oh that's a bummer....back to remote I guess.
Do we have to press info and 5 button at the same time or in quick succession?
In quick succession, works when it's off. So last button pressed would be the power button

I am pretty sure that Sky just block casting and airplaying from the Sky Go app so maybe they have now done the same with the Now TV? I refuse to subscribe to Now TV until they at least provide 1080p streams. The quality is very poor at 720p and has been for years now. Not acceptable.

I agree about the 720p quality which is a joke. However the AF9 does really good job upscaling and smooth graduation, plus sharp picture. Looks better than allot of 1080p content on Netflix.

Also under £60 for 6months Movies and Boxsets - excellent price.

Casting is not blocked and NowTV is even promoting the cast feature.

In quick succession, works when it's off. So last button pressed would be the power button
info-->5--->volume - and power. OK I'll try again lol.

The uptime figure given within the menu system is referring to the length of time your AF9 has been connected to the internet/network/WiFi. It is nothing to do with the panel usage hours. As mentioned, the panel hours is shown in the service menu.

I agree about the 720p quality which is a joke. However the AF9 does really good job upscaling and smooth graduation, plus sharp picture. Looks better than allot of 1080p content on Netflix.

Also under £60 for 6months Movies and Boxsets - excellent price.

Casting is not blocked and NowTV is even promoting the cast feature.

Have to strongly disagree with the assessment of Netflix 1080 content. Go and watch ‘A Cure For Wellness’ or ‘The Hobbit’ for example and tell me its worse than Sky Now TV 720p.

Have to strongly disagree with the assessment of Netflix 1080 content. Go and watch ‘A Cure For Wellness’ or ‘The Hobbit’ for example and tell me its worse than Sky Now TV 720p.

I don’t disagree with you on those titles.
Some of the 1080 content is very compressed. Mostly Netflix 1080 does look better than the 720 on NowTV.

The uptime figure given within the menu system is referring to the length of time your AF9 has been connected to the internet/network/WiFi. It is nothing to do with the panel usage hours. As mentioned, the panel hours is shown in the service menu.
Thanks for that info. Sadly I still haven't managed to get into service menu with the combination of remotes keys posted here.
Will that uptime not equate to usage since the TV won't be connected to net if switched off?

A post I made much earlier in the thread that may possibly help you...

Service menu access...WARNING, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, CHANGING SETTINGS IN THE SERVICE MENU IS RISKY AND CAN PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR TV. I AND AV FORUMS TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PROBLEMS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR TV IF YOU CHOOSE TO FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AND ENTER THE SERVICE MENU!!!

To access the service menu...

Put the TV in standby.
Press keys on the remote control once each, one after another in the following sequence...
i+
Vol +
Power

When the TV powers on you will see the hidden service menu.

In the menu the uptime/usage of the TV is shown under diagnostics information. At the bottom left there are three numbers. The rightmost number is the panel uptime/usage.

Hope this helps.

thankyou...that is exactly the combination I have been trying but no joy?all it does on pressing power last shows me the apps page?

Service menu access...WARNING, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, CHANGING SETTINGS IN THE SERVICE MENU IS RISKY AND CAN PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR TV. I AND AV FORUMS TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PROBLEMS OR DAMAGE TO YOUR TV IF YOU CHOOSE TO FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AND ENTER THE SERVICE MENU!!!

Put the TV in standby.
Press keys on the remote control once each, one after another in the following sequence...
i+
Vol +
Power

In the menu the uptime/usage of the TV is shown under diagnostics information. At the bottom left there are three numbers. The rightmost number is the panel uptime/usage.

Hope this helps.
Do you press i and 5 together then volume and power together?

No you just press them quickly one after another, a single press of each button and letting go of each after you press them.

Mine now has 2053 hours on it and has already popped up automatically a few weeks ago telling me to do the first major panel refresh. looks even better after the refresh than it did before too!

Put the TV in standby.
i+
Vol +
Power

Hope this helps.

Can you please elaborate on whereabouts the hour counter is exactly i.e. which menu is it in? Ta

Based on a recent video from HDTV on the AG9 picture settings I am now using:
Cinema for daytime viewing at its default gamma of 0.
Custom for night viewing at its default gamma of -2.

Previously i had this the other way round.

My Motion settles are:
Clear low.
Smoothness 2.
Film mode off

On Clarity i use defaults apart from Random noise reduction. I set it to high. I watch only streaming and sit 7feet from 65inch so noise is a bit too much in content, hence i use this feature.

Live colour on low in Cinema mode which is default and off in Custom which is default for that mode.

Brightness 35 for Cinema = daytime and 20-25 for Custom = night.

Adv contrast enhancer ACE and Peak luminance to Medium in Cinema = daytime. This is default. Might increase luminance to high in bright sunshine as have a big window.

ACE off and Peak luminance Medium in Custom = night viewing.

My Motion settles are:
Clear low.
Smoothness 2.
Film mode off

On Clarity i use defaults apart from Random noise reduction. I set it to high. I watch only streaming and sit 7feet from 65inch so noise is a bit too much in content, hence i use this feature.

Live colour on low in Cinema mode which is default and off in Custom which is default for that mode.

Adv contrast enhancer ACE and Peak luminance to Medium in Cinema = daytime. This is default. Might increase luminance to high in bright sunshine as have a big window.

So i take it this panel does not have the Macroblocking.. glad for you.

My Motion settles are:
Clear low.
Smoothness 2.
Film mode off

Are the AG9 / AF9 that directly comparable setup wise?

I don’t know but the key point which is similar to both AF9/AG9 is that [Cinema mode is designed for Daytime viewing] and [Custom for Dark room and is more accurate].

So for example Cinema defaults compromises accuracy a bit to favour an easier viewing experience in daytime by have ACE to on and Live colour low. These are off in Custom = dark room , more accurate.

I remember you posting a while ago you use one mode and set brightness to full with light sensor on. If that works well in your light conditions that is great, but I would opt for Custom pic mode to do it in.

What's the 'film mode' setting for anyway? I've seen quite a few suggestions it should be switched off rather than left on auto , what's the reasoning behind that? Cheers

Still not figured out what the clearness setting in Motionflow does when set to low. Vincent Teogh claims it is a BFI setting but the brightness doesn't change on low.

Still not figured out what the clearness setting in Motionflow does when set to low. Vincent Teogh claims it is a BFI setting but the brightness doesn't change on low.

Low is basically BFI off , it's a bit of a misleading value really. Basically just set it to low and leave it , high is unusable

Low is basically BFI off , it's a bit of a misleading value really. Basically just set it to low and leave it , high is unusable

Yeah but I'd really like to know what it is doing. I think I prefer the picture with MotionFlow off completely anyway if I am being honest, but I wish Sony would be a bit more forthcoming about what each picture setting does.

Can anyone figure out why you can’t see any reference to 5.1 or Dolby Audio when using in built Netflix App on the AF9.

pressing Info button during Netflix content playback only shows ‘stereo’. Also in Netflix Audio it is language selection and does not show 5.1, which I think it used to from memory on a different tv.

Can anyone figure out why you can’t see any reference to 5.1 or Dolby Audio when using in built Netflix App on the AF9.

pressing Info button during Netflix content playback only shows ‘stereo’. Also in Netflix Audio it is language selection and does not show 5.1, which I think it used to from memory on a different tv.
If you are not getting 5.1 output ,make sure eARC is turned off and try again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom