Sony AF9 OLED Owners and discussion Thread

Built To Chill

Hi guys - I'm just looking for some advice... I've had my AF9 for 6 months or so and love it, up until today it's been faultless. Problem is I came home tonight and started to watch TV and noticed something was off, I switched to an unused input as that displays the fairly uniform grey and this is what it looks like...

View attachment 1216855

It's not moved from the wall mount since I bought it, and I've not been watching anything with that sort of image that could have caused screen burn. The banding remains whatever is displayed so I'm pretty sure its the physical screen.

It definitely wasn't like that yesterday, that band on the right hand side cuts right down the middle of the menus and I happened to check the input settings so would have noticed it straight away. Any ideas?
Hi, my (55) AF9 developed a band like that after that sort of time. I did a manual pixel refresh, which didn’t sort it, but some 6 months later or so it has settled down again. And now it’s unnoticeable.

So I’ve experienced the so called “aging” effect of OLED. While my panel is far from perfect in grey screens it has returned to nothing being visible on real content.

I really don’t want to perturb you though from a warranty swap if that’s the way you’d prefer to go.

kidulysses77

I get this occasionally and I’d bet most people do with this set. Some subtle sharp vertical bands. It comes and goes.

Think it’s something to do with the overnight refresh or whatever the panel does. It’s usually never noticeable in content but sometimes it’ll be noticeable on a blank menu screen or a 5-10% grey. Sometimes it’s quite apparent on this type of screen. Most of the time it isn’t. Hardly ever notice it on actual content. Bit annoying but because it isn’t ‘permanent’ as such I don’t let it trouble me too much.

deon444

Distinguished Member
My set got banding once in a while after a comp cycle. Would be close to perfect then after a comp cycle vertical banding would show. Be there for a couple of days then would go away again.

Annoying when it happens but got used to it.

Dennizio

Hi guys - I'm just looking for some advice... I've had my AF9 for 6 months or so and love it, up until today it's been faultless. Problem is I came home tonight and started to watch TV and noticed something was off, I switched to an unused input as that displays the fairly uniform grey and this is what it looks like...

View attachment 1216855

It's not moved from the wall mount since I bought it, and I've not been watching anything with that sort of image that could have caused screen burn. The banding remains whatever is displayed so I'm pretty sure its the physical screen.

It definitely wasn't like that yesterday, that band on the right hand side cuts right down the middle of the menus and I happened to check the input settings so would have noticed it straight away. Any ideas?
If your af9 stays this way after the next 'auto compensation cycle' you can try the manual panel update to see if it can help, but only use this function if it doesn't go away in a day or two.

My af9 also sometimes has very subtle banding one day, but then gone next day, happened more on the first six months than now, had it almost for a year now.

Camberwell

Just a quick thought/question regarding the announcement that some not so old Samsung tv's (2016 was it?) no longer have Netflix - how likely is that sort of thing likely to be with our Sony's? Our last Panasonic plasma lasted for 10 yrs, and we only updated to an AF9 because the ARC port flaked out so I couldn't use my surround set up. I was hoping that this tv would last similarly long. My worry now is that, as with Android phones, if you end up on an older version of Android, apps may no longer be supported, and I'm not holding my breath that the AF9 will get a newer version past Oreo whereas Android 10 is already here....anyone else thinking this way?

Geesus

Just a quick thought/question regarding the announcement that some not so old Samsung tv's (2016 was it?) no longer have Netflix - how likely is that sort of thing likely to be with our Sony's? Our last Panasonic plasma lasted for 10 yrs, and we only updated to an AF9 because the ARC port flaked out so I couldn't use my surround set up. I was hoping that this tv would last similarly long. My worry now is that, as with Android phones, if you end up on an older version of Android, apps may no longer be supported, and I'm not holding my breath that the AF9 will get a newer version past Oreo whereas Android 10 is already here....anyone else thinking this way?
If the worst comes to the worst you only have to buy a cheap media player or an Apple TV etc to keep using your set. Certainly cheaper than upgrading the TV if you don't want to.

Unrelated, but I'm finding my AF9 is showing a lot more banding in 'grey' media now - playing Death Stranding right now, and you can see a ton of remnants of past content on there. That first manual compensation cycle must be nearing.

GS765

If the worst comes to the worst you only have to buy a cheap media player or an Apple TV etc to keep using your set. Certainly cheaper than upgrading the TV if you don't want to.

Unrelated, but I'm finding my AF9 is showing a lot more banding in 'grey' media now - playing Death Stranding right now, and you can see a ton of remnants of past content on there. That first manual compensation cycle must be nearing.
How long have you had your set for? After how many hours do you get the panel refresh notification?

kidulysses77

Some details of the Apple TV app on Tech Hive that may be of interest:

“The Apple TV+ experience on these devices (Sony, LG, Samsung etc) does have some notable limitations: While Apple is supporting 4K HDR on all platforms, it’s only offering Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on its own hardware.”

If this is true it means the Apple TV device itself will always be the preferred way to view content from Apple. No point holding out for the TV app in that case.

CMBmovies

“The Apple TV+ experience on these devices (Sony, LG, Samsung etc) does have some notable limitations: While Apple is supporting 4K HDR on all platforms, it’s only offering Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision on its own hardware.”

If this is true it means the Apple TV device itself will always be the preferred way to view content from Apple. No point holding out for the TV app in that case.
Interesting to know. I’ve watched all four episodes of the morning show so far and it does look spectacular. Looking forward to sitting down with for all mankind soon.

Dennizio

I have decided to get my af9 calibrated at the beginning of 2020, anyone have experience with if you think your set looks pretty phenomenal already out of the box(did a few tweaks myself though) but looking forward to how much more it can be improved.

Cheers

Geesus

I have decided to get my af9 calibrated at the beginning of 2020, anyone have experience with if you think your set looks pretty phenomenal already out of the box(did a few tweaks myself though) but looking forward to how much more it can be improved.

Cheers
I haven't had mine done professionally, but purchased a colorimeter and the Autocal software and did it myself. Even using a relatively budget meter, the results are ridiculously good. So yes, it is definitely worth it. The biggest difference I found was how accurate colours were compared to out of the box, in particular skin tones, but also there was an improvement in shadow detail etc. No real point having a TV as good as this and *not* having it done IMO.

Dennizio

I haven't had mine done professionally, but purchased a colorimeter and the Autocal software and did it myself. Even using a relatively budget meter, the results are ridiculously good. So yes, it is definitely worth it. The biggest difference I found was how accurate colours were compared to out of the box, in particular skin tones, but also there was an improvement in shadow detail etc. No real point having a TV as good as this and *not* having it done IMO.
Thanks for the Lovely response mate, exactly what i needed to hear, i had the same thought, I think my af9 is a bit too warm (skin tones) but i cant know before seeing how it is after calibration.

kidulysses77

Just watched the fourh the episode of See on Apple TV Plus. It’s not for every one this series and it’s had some criticisms but it’s probably the best picture quality I’ve seen in my AF9 since I got it. So cinematic and beautifully shot. Textures, low light detail, colour grading, nuanced contrast, basically flawless. Also filmed with DV in mind I think. Lots of shots of scenes in shadowy glades with beautiful sunlit backdrops. It’s really something else.

Last edited:

Jokerr

Thank you and interesting to know this. So only HDR 10 is supported on LG/SONY operating systems for the Apple TV+ App?

GS765

Anyone nitice how HDR in standard mode is quite a bit brighter than Custom? Both with maxed out brightness. Why is this?

maxout

Standard Member
Anyone nitice how HDR in standard mode is quite a bit brighter than Custom? Both with maxed out brightness. Why is this?
Have you adjusted the standard mode to match the custom mode settings? If so you shouldn't notice a difference.At least on my set I don't.

Bat-man

Maybe because the various modes are not just the same basic one with different brightness and contrast from the same baseline.
As far as I know the modes have different peak brightness, different gamma tracking and different clipping points etc.
I maybe wrong though.

CMBmovies

For anyone able to watch The Mandalorian it looks spectacular on the AF9. Lots of shadow details, low light scenes look amazing, great surround - and this was only in 1080p with a fairly low bitrate. Can’t wait to try it in 4K HDR.

Last edited:

manonabox

Hi Geesus, just out of curiosity what make of colorimeter did you use to calibrate using the Autocal software and was it easy/difficult to get the good results? Thinking of having a go myself.

EasterEEL1

Standard mode sucks.. honestly...any of you using this mode? Oversaturated, too bright....
I am with SKy TV, settings below which work well for me. My room is well lit in the daytime and the light sensor gets the TV bright enough during daytime and PQ is good at night with these settings. The main issue I have with the AF9 is getting skin tone right which takes a bit of effort. and Warm works better for me that Expert 1/2. I use Cinema for films.

AF9.jpg

CMBmovies

Hi Geesus, just out of curiosity what make of colorimeter did you use to calibrate using the Autocal software and was it easy/difficult to get the good results? Thinking of having a go myself.
I’d be curious if the cost of equipment / software to do it yourself is more / less then paying someone to do calibrate it.

Geesus

X-Rite i1 Display Pro. Very easy. Once you have everything set up that is. You have to have a pattern generator too, for that you can use a laptop although I built a standalone Raspberry Pi machine to do it for me.

I’d be curious if the cost of equipment / software to do it yourself is more / less then paying someone to do calibrate it.
That is very true - and you will get a better result at the end of it if you employ a pro with pro-grade equipment, who will likely do every step by hand. It doesn't come cheap doing it yourself, however I like having the option to do it again, as the TV ages, or my viewing conditions change etc and also I can calibrate other people's sets and have done for a couple of family members thus far.

The costs for me were pretty much

X-Rite £170
CalMAN Home For Sony £112
Raspberry Pi £30

You could probably get a pro for that total.

However you go about it - calibrating is essential for a TV with this much potential.

monkeh

Standard Member
Does anyone have a problem with the ITV Hub app, i cannot get it to play anny content, it just eventually displays the "Whoops, whats going on here" error message. All other smart TV's are Samsung and are connected to the same wireless network and stream without a problem, so it seems to be something on this TV.

I have reset the app and rebooted the TV, but still cannot get any program to stream, yet menus are all updated.

Jokerr

For anyone able to watch The Mandalorian it looks spectacular on the AF9. Lots of shadow details, low light scenes look amazing, great surround - and this was only in 1080p with a fairly low bitrate. Can’t wait to try it in 4K HDR.
How are you able to watch it in uk? I thought it is only available on Disney +, which is not available here yet.