Sony Advice

M

m4tthall

I am about to purchase one of the Sony 40" LCD televisions. I have spent ages deliberating between various models and popped into numerous shops. I have the option of the following:

• KDL40D3000

• KDL40X2000U

• 40W2000

I have read numerous reviews, forum posts etc on these sets but haven't managed to determine what would be best to go for. I popped in the Sony shop again today and spoke with one of the sales reps who dismissed the KDL40D3000 and suggested the 40W2000, saying that the extra expense of the KDL40X2000U may not be justified.

I had originally opted for the KDL40X2000U, but then saw posts saying that the newer version KDL40D3000 would be the best bet. Then I read some posts saying that the 40W2000 was better for SD. I love the design of the KDL40X2000U, but would not want to use that as a reason to justify the extra expense.

I haven't jumped up to SKY DH yet, so SD is still being used a lot for the near term and a high priority is for the quality to be good on the set. But I obviously want something that is going to last and has a great picture - don't we all.

Can anyone help me with this decision? It seems like I have been stuck on this for months and it is driving me up the wall.

In addition, I would be looking to improve the sound experience and seen some great offers that include the DAVDZ630. Is this unit any good?

Thanks for any help, you really would be assisting a most frustrated person!!

I see SD....So the all round performer the 40D3000!!!Who said 40W2000 has better SD than D3000?Of course NO!!!!SD on this is UNWATCHABLE(When I saw it).The 40X2000 is an excellent tv.So personally I would narrow down to:
40D3000
40X2000

Excellent.But if you buy the 40D3000 you will save the xtra money for the DZ630!!!!

I see SD....So the all round performer the 40D3000!!!Who said 40W2000 has better SD than D3000?Of course NO!!!!SD on this is UNWATCHABLE(When I saw it).The 40X2000 is an excellent tv.So personally I would narrow down to:
40D3000
40X2000

Excellent.But if you buy the 40D3000 you will save the xtra money for the DZ630!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply. I was quite confident about getting the 40X2000 initially and after seeing it, well it is some looker too. However, I then saw some great comments about the 40D3000 and was going down that route until the people in the Sony shop were very dismissive of it, which I was very surprised about and put me right off.

I saw a post somewhere (need to find it again) saying that the 40W2000 worked well with SD and with the people in the Sony shop suggested that was the one to go for. Even more surprising when I thought they would direct me towards the most expensive.

Hence the confusion!

What would I be losing if I went for the 40D3000 over the 40X2000?

Thanks for the quick reply. I was quite confident about getting the 40X2000 initially and after seeing it, well it is some looker too. However, I then saw some great comments about the 40D3000 and was going down that route until the people in the Sony shop were very dismissive of it, which I was very surprised about and put me right off.

I saw a post somewhere (need to find it again) saying that the 40W2000 worked well with SD and with the people in the Sony shop suggested that was the one to go for. Even more surprising when I thought they would direct me towards the most expensive.

Hence the confusion!

What would I be losing if I went for the 40D3000 over the 40X2000?
You'll gain more then you'll lose.

I bought the W2000 yesterday and on Sky SD after numerous setting changes the picture is not as good as I thought it would be, but I am comparing it to my Sony 32 CRT which is a superb picture.

Good price though £969

Wait to see what the X3000 is like?

I bought the W2000 yesterday and on Sky SD after numerous setting changes the picture is not as good as I thought it would be, but I am comparing it to my Sony 32 CRT which is a superb picture.

Good price though £969

Wait to see what the X3000 is like?

Agree with X3000.Can you give the money for the X3000?

I am about to purchase one of the Sony 40" LCD televisions. I have spent ages deliberating between various models and popped into numerous shops. I have the option of the following:

• KDL40D3000

• KDL40X2000U

• 40W2000

I have read numerous reviews, forum posts etc on these sets but haven't managed to determine what would be best to go for. I popped in the Sony shop again today and spoke with one of the sales reps who dismissed the KDL40D3000 and suggested the 40W2000, saying that the extra expense of the KDL40X2000U may not be justified.

I had originally opted for the KDL40X2000U, but then saw posts saying that the newer version KDL40D3000 would be the best bet. Then I read some posts saying that the 40W2000 was better for SD. I love the design of the KDL40X2000U, but would not want to use that as a reason to justify the extra expense.

I haven't jumped up to SKY DH yet, so SD is still being used a lot for the near term and a high priority is for the quality to be good on the set. But I obviously want something that is going to last and has a great picture - don't we all.

Can anyone help me with this decision? It seems like I have been stuck on this for months and it is driving me up the wall.

In addition, I would be looking to improve the sound experience and seen some great offers that include the DAVDZ630. Is this unit any good?

Thanks for any help, you really would be assisting a most frustrated person!!
If you're going to be watching mainly SD, then the D3000 would probably be a good choice.

As for the W2000s, don't dismiss it. I'm not sure how ChrisGeo has seen one showing SD that's unwatchable (default store setup?) - personally as far as LCDs go, I think my own KDL-40W2000 showing SD looks pretty good (and I'm not easily pleased).

I saw two different W2000 on different shops.The first was a 46W2000 on SC.Horrible in my opinion.But be careful.It was horrible on analogue channels.On DVD it will be better I think.So generaly its wrong to speak for SD.Little the 1080p,much the analogue and much much the crappy greek analogue channels make the worst compination!!!(we have only 3 digital channels!!!!!!).So it maybe and must be better on UK's freeview tv.Also on blu ray it was stunning!!!

Yeah, I've never used Analogue TV broadcasts on it myself. I think in the UK, just about everyone is using Digital.

I suppose that!!!We are the last and the worst among all the european countries that have been ages back with the technology!!!Imagine...Whats the highest ADSL speed in UK?Here is 24mps the latest....

Ah, great that I am getting some replies, but I am not sure if I have got any further with the choice :confused:

Gain? I thought the X series was top of the range? What would I gain then?

Thanks

I really am down to the X and D models now, but completely stuck. Anyone, please, any assistance would be most grateful!

m4tthall,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself. I had decided to go for the D3000 because of the 100Hz with motionflow which will make SD viewing better. However, I am now torn by whether to wait for the x3000/x3500 as this new model will add 100HZ with motionflow to the X series. However, the D3000 is being dropped form the range and so prices are very low as they want to get rid of them before the new range is released.

So I will either get the D3000 on a bargain price or wait for the x3000/x3500 and save up a bit more cash over the next couple of months. I personally wouldn't go for the x2000

Jeff

Thanks for the advice. I am not concerned whether the HD is the best you can get. I obviously want it to be good quality, but won't be quite a picky as some of the members in here that are more into this stuff than I am. I am also more concerned with the SD quality at present.

So, although I loved the styling of the X200, I have decided to go for the D3000, as it probably meets my requirements more. Also, at the current price I think it is a bargain and means I can spend a little more money elsewhere, such as a PS3 perhaps and a better quality speakers. Although now I am struggling with that choice!!

Thanks again.

m4tthall,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself. I had decided to go for the D3000 because of the 100Hz with motionflow which will make SD viewing better. However, I am now torn by whether to wait for the x3000/x3500 as this new model will add 100HZ with motionflow to the X series. However, the D3000 is being dropped form the range and so prices are very low as they want to get rid of them before the new range is released.

So I will either get the D3000 on a bargain price or wait for the x3000/x3500 and save up a bit more cash over the next couple of months. I personally wouldn't go for the x2000

Jeff

Decided on the D3000 with HTSF1100 in the end. I will let you know what I think when I get it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for the advice. I am not concerned whether the HD is the best you can get. I obviously want it to be good quality, but won't be quite a picky as some of the members in here that are more into this stuff than I am. I am also more concerned with the SD quality at present.

So, although I loved the styling of the X200, I have decided to go for the D3000, as it probably meets my requirements more. Also, at the current price I think it is a bargain and means I can spend a little more money elsewhere, such as a PS3 perhaps and a better quality speakers. Although now I am struggling with that choice!!

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom