1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony advice for a new user

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by norfy, Aug 13, 2003.

1. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, this is my first post, coz I'm new here...

im gonna buy my first camcorder very soon and have decided to go for a MiniDV with dv in/out because I want transfer footage to my pc, edit it and send it back to the cam to then transfer onto video. in time i will burn onto dvd. Thanks to all your posts that I have read on here i have made the following decisions:

canon = too noisey
    jvc beats panasonic
    but sony beats em all

any objections so far ??

not wanting to blow loads of cash I still want the best I can get so want to know why I should buy one over the other. I like the look of the SONY TRV19/22/33 because of DV in/out and the size. Obviously there are price differences between them because of the extras, but are they worth it ?

example : the 22 and 33 have memorystick slot, as I would have to buy a memorystick reader is it worth it. Can I still transfer still images down onto my pc using the TRV19 without using the memorystick, is it just there for portable storage ?

The 22 and 33 have analogue inputs, what would I use these for ? They also have something called MPEG EX ?? what is this used for and is it worth the extra money ? Also they both have a colour viewfinder compared to the 19's b/w one. Any better ?

Question: how does USB streaming compare to firewire connection, why do they have both, I understand about using firewire to transfer back to the cam but why use the USB connection to download, when firewire is quicker, what does it do ?

Question: how have users found the touch screen panel, is it easy and will my wife be able to use it ? ;-)

so basically what I'm asking is... is it worth paying for extras that I might not use straight away and will also have to buy extra components for ie memorystick

also do the sonys come with pc software for me to download, edit and transfer back my footage ?

... oh yeah also forgot, add to that I've got to buy myself a pci firewire card for my pc and the money just keeps going up and up !

I really appreciate your help in this, all I need to decide after this is where to buy it from, whats this thing about jessops price match ?

cheers

2. CKB

CKB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Reading through the forum, as you did, I believe this is to allow you to connect to your VCR and so provides a gateway to convert old tapes to DVD

Get yourself to www.dabs.com - I picked one up for £17 inc p&p off the mainland

They vow to match any price provided you can prove you can get it cheaper elsewhere at a non sale price. Check out their website for full details. They couldn't however match www.empiredirect.co.uk who have a 9 month 0% interest offer at the mo. :clap:

I started off getting a JVC, but thanks to these forums I'm awaiting delivery of a Sony TRV33 :smashin:

3. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers CKB

I've found that http://www.pixmania.co.uk are doing the TRV33 for £595, not sure if anybody has dealt with them.

I'm putting together a wish list on dabs for things like pci firewire card, memorystick reader (on this note, is it better to get a reader/writer for memory stick) and a usb hub to plug EVERYTHING in to :eek:

Any idea about the use of USB Streaming, whats it used for in comparison to the firewire?

I was slowly convincing myself to go for the TRV19, but the more I think about it I might go all out and get the TRV33 :confused:

The jury is still out..... watch this space

4. Sparkypups

Sparkypups

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I'm in the same boat as you and fortunately rowing the same way! Another reason why you might need analogue footage would be if you was to use a bullet cam.

A bullet cam is a camera device about the size of a mars bar, much better for taking those dramatic 'drivers eye' type of pictures.

Sparky

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Memory Stick works by USB so no reader required

33 is Megapixel 1152x768

33 also supports Anamorphic Widescreen :clap: :clap:

6. CKB

CKB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Martin gets very excitable about the TRV33, pretty much convinced me to buy it on his own !

Of course if it's a turkey I know who to come see :devil:

7. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Martin :-
    So I can read the contents of the memorystick whilst its in the camcorder and download that to my pc... yeah ?

Ana..whoer whatter ?? Wide screen, oh, better buy one of them tellys then ...

CKB :-
    lol, ok so now I'm really swinging towards the TRV33, how do I convince my wife ?? ;) Ah who cares, I earn the pennies in the house all she does is look after the baby !!! (maybe I wont take that approach though)

8. Sparkypups

Sparkypups

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok so I am trying to decide between dcr103 / dcrpc8 / trv33, but not quite up to speed with their relative merits.

I know i want dv in/out and av in as well as mic in. It is to be used mainly for recording my blats round tracks and the like hence the bullet cam from my earlier post.

Not too fussed about taking stills, i have a normal digi cam for that, so the memory stick although nice is not a must have.

Any advice of these cams particular merits and cons for what I intend using for please.

Sparky

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    103 looks nice as well

8 is old model isn't it?

Some of these new Sony cameras are rather good.

I like the TRV33 because it was the cheapest proper 16x9 support Sony DV camera.

There is a 2MP 16x9 one as well

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes - for low resolution (640x480) see here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3142110500&category=221&rd=1

Yes you need one - get a digital one too because you will need CBeebies when baby hits one!

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    USB streaming is for useing the cam as a webcam & as MI said to transfer memory stick images to PC. It can NOT be used for transfering high quality footage to/from the PC. Not even USB2.0 can do this.

The reviews I have read all say it is awkward, good easy idea just too small, so the wife should find it a doddle as most reviews are by fat fingered men. :D :devil:

Well it's cheaper than replaceing the cam at a later date.

I believe that some of the latest Sony cams do come with some basic software, but some people have said it is not very good. If you have Win XP then you have Movie Maker. Download the free upgrade to MM2. That is a very good package for a freebie. :smashin:

As mention previously that can cost less than £20 and if as I mentioned, if you have XP then you already have the software.

Has worked for me on several occassions. If the worst happens & it does go belly up then you can go back to a shop and get it replaced/repaired.

Mark.

12. norfy

norfy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks alot guys, it looks as though you've talked me into getting the TRV33...

and Martin...

... if I didn't have a daughter I'd probably buy that as well.

Thanks for all your helpfull advice, I'm sure to be back once I've got it to find out how to get the most out of it.

Keep up the good work :smashin:

Mark