Sony A95K QD-OLED TV Owners & Discussion thread

youngsyp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sony XR-55A95K & XR65A95K

Next generation picture and sound with Cognitive Intelligence
Take vision and sound to the next level with Cognitive Processor XR™. Our revolutionary processor on Sony BRAVIA XR™ TVs reproduces content the way humans see and hear for an incredibly lifelike experience. It understands how the human eye focuses, cross analysing images to give real life depth, extraordinary contrast and beautifully vivid colours.

Our widest palette of colours, natural and bright
The new OLED(QD-OLED) panel enables our widest palette of colours, thanks to Cognitive Processor XR™. This unique processor reproduces the natural shades and hues that humans find beautiful, filling the screen with consistently vivid colours and realistic textures at all brightness levels.

Enjoy real life depth with pure blacks and brighter colours
Pairing our XR OLED Contrast Pro and OLED(QD-OLED) panel, this TV delivers up to 200% as much colour brightness as conventional OLED TVs, bringing scenes alive with pure blacks and our brightest colours. Powered by Cognitive Processor XR™, it enhances pictures in the same way as your eyes focus so you won't miss a single detail in dazzling light or deep shadow.

Musician in a concert playing the violin with sound waves

Screen is the speaker, pictures and sound in harmony
Acoustic Surface Audio+™ uses special actuators to turn the screen into a multi-channel speaker. You'll hear sound that precisely matches what’s on screen with pictures and sound in total harmony for a truly immersive experience.

Discover new ways to enjoy TV with BRAVIA CAM
You're always in the best seat in the house with BRAVIA CAM. It recognises where you're sitting and optimises the picture and sound accordingly. There's also gesture controls, video chat and many other fun, new experiences waiting to be explored.

Hands-free help from Google
With hands-free voice control built into Google TV, you can set aside your remote and simply use your voice to control your TV. Ask Google to find a specific title, search by genre, and get personalised recommendations on what to watch by saying, "Ok Google, what should I watch?". Even get answers on screen, control smart home devices, and more.

Dual Style - made to fit your lifestyle
This TV has been designed to work in two different styles. The Front position style with One Slate design offers the most immersive experience possible, while the Back position style sets the TV close to the wall for optimum room harmony.

Graphic showng Front position style for immersive viewing

Front position style
Graphic showng Back position style for room harmony

Back position style

XR Picture

Split screen close up of fruit including berries and peaches showing colour enhancement with XR Triluminos Pro+

Our widest spectrum of colours, beautiful for the human eye
This new OLED(QD-OLED) TV with millions of individual, self-illuminating pixels delivers more colours than ever before for an entirely new viewing experience. Combined with Cognitive Processor XR™, the saturation, hue and brightness of every colour is presented in exquisite detail, revealing subtle shades and differences that you can usually only see in real life.

Brightest colours and pure blacks for real-life depth
XR OLED Contrast Pro powers our OLED(QD-OLED) panel so you can enjoy true contrast with the brightest colours. With a temperature sensor and heat diffusion sheet for dissipating heat, this OLED TV utilises our Cognitive Processor XR™ to detect screen temperature and precisely control light, delivering up to 200% as much colour brightness as conventional OLED TVs.
Close up of the feathers in a bird

Recreating lost texture, all your content upscaled to 4K
With XR 4K Upscaling, you'll enjoy entertainment close to 4K quality, whatever the content or source. Our Cognitive Processor XR™ accesses a vast amount of data, intelligently recreating lost textures and detail for real world pictures.

Intelligent motion processing for smooth, fast-moving action
Powered by our Cognitive Processor XR™, XR OLED Motion combats blur by detecting and cross analysing key visual elements on successive frames. It creates and inserts extra frames between the original ones so you can enjoy smooth and clear action, even in fast-moving sequences.
Image of woman on skateboard at skate park

Split screen image of wall mounted TVs with screenshot of blue crater in orange rock showing true colours from all sides

Beautiful colours from every possible angle
Watching TV from the sides has never been so satisfying. Our next generation self-illuminating OLED(QD-OLED) panel on the A95K keeps constant luminance. Colours stay consistent and true across all viewing angles.

Less glare and reflection, immersive viewing
Glare and reflection makes it hard to see images clearly, especially in dark scenes where depth and detail are often hidden. With extremely low reflectivity of outdoor light, our OLED(QD-OLED) panel reduces this effect for incredible brightness, colour and contrast in almost any lighting conditions. Dive into the scene and enjoy immersive viewing without distraction.
Comparison of screens showing hilltop town at night with and without low reflectivity

XR Sound

Image of soundwaves from TV with Acoustic Surface Audio+

Screen is the speaker, powerful sound matches pictures
Sound comes directly from the screen with Acoustic Surface Audio+™. Large actuators vibrate, uniquely turning the entire screen into a speaker to create powerful acoustics that move with the picture so you hear a more realistic soundtrack with exceptionally clear and natural dialogue. Left and right subwoofers boost bass for truly immersive cinematic sound at home.

More powerful, more realistic soundtracks
The two large actuators on the A95K, designed with a perfectly round shape, deliver more powerful and realistic sound to everything you watch. By vibrating the screen, the actuators create clearly defined mid and high frequencies for a truly engaging audio experience that matches what's on screen.
Close up of actuator vibrating screen to create sound

Best with Sony audio

Paired with Sony audio equipment, our latest BRAVIA XR TVs go even further, bringing you an unmatched audio-visual experience with outstanding XR picture and sound quality.
Image of couple in living room watching BRAVIA TV with Acoustic Center Sync

Acoustic Center Sync
When you connect a BRAVIA XR TV to a Sony soundbar, the soundbar reinforces the centre speaker channel for clearer and fuller vocals. This enables sound to precisely match on-screen action for a truly immersive experience.
Image of man in living room watching BRAVIA TV with 360 Spatial Sound

Ready for 360 Spatial Sound Personalizer
Tailor your Dolby Atmos® experience by combining our SRS-NS7 wearable speaker with BRAVIA XR™ for spatial surround sound. With selected Sony headphones, you can also enjoy the simulated surround of 360 Spatial Sound using Wireless Transmitter WLA-NS7 (sold separately).17

Voice Zoom™ 2 enhances voices for clearer dialogue
Hear TV dialogue more clearly without turning up the volume. Even if speech is difficult to hear, Voice Zoom 2 detects the type of voice, analyses it and enhances its clarity.

BRAVIA CAM

The optimal viewing experience, wherever you are

Connect your BRAVIA XR TV with the supplied BRAVIA CAM and enjoy TV like never before. BRAVIA CAM recognises where you are in the room and how far you are from the TV, then adjusts sound and picture settings so they're just right. This means audio - including dialogue - is clearer and more immersive with picture brightness tailored to your viewing environment.

Every picture, optimised to your position in the room
Detecting the distance between you and your TV, BRAVIA CAM adjusts TV brightness so you’ll always enjoy perfect picture quality, no matter where you are in the room. A light and colour sensor in the TV optimises pictures to light conditions for the best possible viewing experience.

The ideal sound experience from anywhere
BRAVIA CAM follows you and your position, even if you are watching from the sides, then adjusts left and right sound balance for optimum acoustics. Wherever you are in the room, you'll enjoy the same sound quality as if you're sitting right in front of the TV.

Hear voices clearly, no matter where you are
By detecting your viewing distance, BRAVIA CAM is able to adjust voice zoom automatically so you can hear dialogue clearly. The volume of TV dialogue increases when you move away from the TV and decreases when you get closer.

Discover new ways to enjoy TV with BRAVIA CAM
Explore an array of fun new TV experiences with BRAVIA CAM including gesture controls, video chat and many more.

Graphic showing a child watching TV from close up and a child watching another TV from further back

Proximity Alert
Proximity Alert allows you to set a recommended viewing distance for your child and alerts you if they get too close to the TV.
Graphic showing a person controlling TV by gesture control

Gesture Control
Gesture Control enables you to change channels, adjust volume and more using simple gestures, no remote required.
Image of person watching BRAVIA TV with another image of person walking away from BRAVIA TV showing how screen darkens with Auto Power Saving Mode

Auto Power Saving Mode
Auto Power Saving Mode optimises your power consumption by darkening the screen automatically when you are not in front of the TV.

Enjoy video chat with friends and family on the big screen
Catch up with your friends and family on the big screen. Enjoy more fun when you pair your TV with BRAVIA CAM.

Easy to connect, easy to close
Attaching and detaching the supplied BRAVIA CAM to your BRAVIA TV is quick and easy. Use the camera cover switch on top of BRAVIA CAM to close the camera cover if you want more privacy at any time.

Smart TV Features

What you want to watch, all in one place

Easily access all your favourite content and services hands-free. See 700,000+ movies and TV episodes, all in one place. Google TV brings your favourite content from across your apps and subscriptions and organises them just for you.

Easily control your smart home
Use your voice to control smart home devices throughout your home. Adjust room temperature, lighting, and more - just ask Google.

Supersize your smartphone favourites
Quickly and easily enjoy your favourite videos, photos, games and more from your iOS or Android devices on the big screen.

Simple and premium remote, easy to use even in darkness
We've completely redesigned our remote for effortless control of your TV, day or night. Our new premium remote is easy to use, with simplified buttons and a backlight so you can see everything clearly, even in the dark. Designed compact in aluminium, this remote has a beautifully refined look and is comfortable to hold in the hand too.

Easily find your lost remote with your voice
Never lose your remote behind sofa cushions again. With the Finder function, you simply need to say ''OK Google, find my remote'' or press the button on the side of your TV to activate your missing remote. The remote will ring and flash, enabling you to quickly locate it.

Easy to wipe, always stays clean
Designed with a flush surface featuring lower buttons and a special polyurethane coating, our remote is easy to wipe and keep clean. All buttons are specially coated with antibacterial material.

Control all your devices with one smart remote
All your connected devices can be controlled with our smart remote. One button access to video on demand services brings shows and movies into your room in seconds.

Design

Dual Style - made to fit your lifestyle

This TV has been designed to work in two different styles. The Front position style with One Slate design focuses you on the screen for the most immersive experience possible without distractions. The Back position style allows you to set the TV very close to the wall so it harmonises perfectly with your room.

Close-up image of Metal Flush Surface design

Metal Flush Surface for immersive viewing
The premium metal bezel is extremely narrow so your eyes naturally focus on the picture, not what's around it.
Rear image of TV showing cable management

Clutter-free, all-round beauty
Cable holders keep wires neatly hidden so your television stays free of clutter and looks good from the front, the sides and the back.

Even more studio quality entertainment, as the creator intended
With a range of technologies that preserve the creators intent including an enhanced array of Creator Calibrated Modes, IMAX Enhanced and Dolby Vision®, this TV reproduces all the drama and excitement of the director’s imagination. And as it’s Calman Ready, creators can even professionally calibrate it for use in production edits.

Watch Netflix in studio quality, automatically optimised
Enjoy Netflix content in spectacular studio quality, just as the creator intended. Developed specifically for Netflix content, Netflix Adaptive Calibrated Mode works together with the ambient light optimisation feature of BRAVIA XR TV to immerse you in your favourite shows by optimising the picture brightness based on your room lighting conditions.

Optimising pictures for all your favourites
Enjoy more content as the creator intended. With BRAVIA CORE Calibrated mode, all movie including IMAX Enhanced™ titles will automatically adjust to the optimal picture settings to create a truly exceptional at-home movie viewing experience.

Last edited:
I have just ordered mine from Crampton and Moore along with calibration.

Just have to wait now and hope that my trusty 10 year old W905A lasts a little longer!

I have just ordered mine from Crampton and Moore along with calibration.

Just have to wait now and hope that my trusty 10 year old W905A lasts a little longer!

The cashback offer should go some ways to pay for the calibration.

I'll be calibrating mine myself as usual. I will need to employ Jules' services again to profile my meter against the new display though. That's at least a few hundred hours down the line.

Paul

Great price!

I believe it's that cheap as they only need to calibrate SDR on the Sony's. The processor will then use that as the baseline for HDR10(+)/ HLG and DoVi format content, and those should then be calibrated by proxy.

Paul

They are doing it for £99. 👍

Do you know what would happen if the the TV goes through a factory reset ? Would you have to pay for the calibration all over again ? The price looks very good and it’s tempting but I’m also waiting to see how the Panasonic lz2000 stacks up against the A95K

Same here A95K or LZ2000 👍👍

Are all four HDMI ports 120hz on this new sony A95K ?

I've pulled the trigger on this, couldn't help myself. 😅

With voucher code, Sony's cashback and topcashback have scored the 55" for £1908 so happy days.

With voucher code, Sony's cashback and topcashback have scored the 55" for £1908 so happy days.

Hope you’re happy with your purchase , do let us know how it goes . All the best .

May I ask what retailer & vouchercodes / topcashback? This would really justify my spending on the 65" to myself. 😂 Thanks.

Still no official Sony release date for this model in the UK or US as far as I can ascertain.

I am deciding between the G2, LZ1500 and A95k. If the A95k has the constant dimming in game mode like all the other Sony OLED’s then it’s out of the running.

Still no official Sony release date for this model in the UK or US as far as I can ascertain.

I am deciding between the G2, LZ1500 and A95k. If the A95k has the constant dimming in game mode like all the other Sony OLED’s then it’s out of the running.

Seems that auto dimming on the A95K is generally quite relaxed . Don’t see why Sony would decide not to relax it for gaming too .

I want to have the same line of thinking as you but idk if I can have a tv without the XR processor as I’m still being wowed by my X95J.

I’m torn between this and the 75z9j for a bright lounge, can’t decide but the bigger size is appealing.

Hi all!

Just chiming in to say I’ll be a 65” A95K owner as soon as my pre-order ships. According to to the Sony online store they start shipping from 13th July, so hoping we all start seeing movement from the various retailers around then.

Look forward to learning this TV with you all! 👍🏻

Hi all!

Just chiming in to say I’ll be a 65” A95K owner as soon as my pre-order ships. According to to the Sony online store they start shipping from 13th July, so hoping we all start seeing movement from the various retailers around then.

Look forward to learning this TV with you all! 👍🏻

Congratulations on your pre order ! Hopefully you get your tv when you expect it and it exceeds your expectations . All the best !

I’m torn between this and the 75z9j for a bright lounge, can’t decide but the bigger size is appealing.

The conventional advice is to always go for the bigger size.

I’m quite happy with my X95J and the Z9J is only better .

Unless you need quicker response times for gaming or you’re extremely sensitive to blooming , not sure the QD OLED makes sense in your use case . Yes it might have slightly better uniformity , better blacks and higher range of colours but with the Z9J you’re getting the size you need , no worries about first gen tech and no burn in risk .

Unless your willing to wait 1-3 years for bigger QD OLED , I’d go with the Z9J if I was you . Just my two cents though , all the best ! I’m sure you’d be happy with either tv

Edit : also something to note - QD OLED at the moment lacks a polariser . This means with intense light hitting the tv , you won’t get pure blacks . For me I personally before slightly elevated blacks in a bright room if it decreases reflections but I think that’s a niche preference . Most people are paying for an oled and expect perfect blacks in every scenario

Last edited:
Pre-ordered back in May, back in June they told me it was delayed to 13th July. I chased Sony yesterday and they confirmed that shipping will start “from 13th July” and that the courier will be in touch then. Which may mean I’ll hear from them next week, but also maybe not? Who knows.

Pre-ordered back in May, back in June they told me it was delayed to 13th July. I chased Sony yesterday and they confirmed that shipping will start “from 13th July” and that the courier will be in touch then. Which may mean I’ll hear from them next week, but also maybe not? Who knows.
It's a little farcical, as these launches often tend to be. You'd think that with the size of these organisations, they'd be able to manage a launch better.

I'm still hopeful for next week. Amazon had shown deliveries starting from 4th July but, when that day came, they went out of stock immediately. Richer Sounds are showing from W/E 9th July, which seems like a weird approach. That would suggest any date between 4th and 8th July for things to start happening. I've seen others state from 16th July, which is a Saturday again, so another weird date to pick.

You'd hope Sony.co.uk's date is reliable but, that would assume they're actually Sony and not someone Sony use to distribute. With that in mind, I've experienced other manufacturers shipping Panasonic products before Panasonic.co.uk for example.

In case anyone's interested, if you plan on using Bravia Core and want a wired connection, these have just been discounted:
Amazon product ASIN B00BBD7NFU
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom