Sony A95K QD-OLED TV Owners & Discussion thread

read the article ... difference of cicle compensation on lg an sony tv
I read what I needed to with the test approach. It's not a real world test and thus is invalid, IMHO. Comp cycle is irrelevant too, given the validity of the tests themselves.

Paul

Thanks! What about DV content? is it correct to put it in Low? What are your settings? :)
No, for any HDR based content Peak Luminance should be High. As with any TV, leave any setting ('enhancements' aside) that affects brightness or black level at their default, for HDR based content.

Paul

what do you think?

This is not real world test,but its really strange that burn in developed after only 2 months.
I have 7500 hours on G1 and panel is perfect and i played World of Warcraft for months many hours per day.

No, for any HDR based content Peak Luminance should be High. As with any TV, leave any setting ('enhancements' aside) that affects brightness or black level at their default, for HDR based content.

Paul

I tested Last of Us which is DV on HBO Max , and I only got the choice between DV bright, DV dark and Vivid. No custom mode available, wut? But the settings you mentioned were at that, so I guess I don't have to do anything ,and the "custom" setting is mostly for external sources?

I tested Last of Us which is DV on HBO Max , and I only got the choice between DV bright, DV dark and Vivid. No custom mode available, wut? But the settings you mentioned were at that, so I guess I don't have to do anything ,and the "custom" setting is mostly for external sources?
That's normal for DV content, only those three modes are available regardless of the nature of the source (internal/external). They still offer most picture controls.
Custom mode(s) will be available for SDR, HDR10 and HLG content, again regardless of the source type.
What Paul said still stands, though: Peak Luminance should be left at Max for any high dynamic range content: HDR10, HLG and DV.
HDR Tone Mapping is best set to Gradation Preferred for HDR10, HLG and possibly DV Bright (if you'll use the latter, I do not) and Off for DV Dark.

Had my A95k professionally calibrated yesterday. Looks absolutely stunning now it's not pushing blue. Wasn't a million miles away out of the box though and the -5 blue gain I'd been using on the 2 pt adjustment was certainly helping already.

Of note, measured at 944 nits peak brightness on 10% window post calibration.

Confirmed that correct tone mapping is as per OOTB, with HDR set to gradation preferred & Dolby Vision to Off.

Had my A95k professionally calibrated yesterday. Looks absolutely stunning now it's not pushing blue. Wasn't a million miles away out of the box though and the -5 blue gain I'd been using on the 2 pt adjustment was certainly helping already.

Of note, measured at 944 nits peak brightness on 10% window post calibration.

Confirmed that correct tone mapping is as per OOTB, with HDR set to gradation preferred & Dolby Vision to Off.
Fab! Nice!
I'm hoping to get mine calibrated too soon.
Was that OFF for Dolby Vision DARK??

Fab! Nice!
I'm hoping to get mine calibrated too soon.
Was that OFF for Dolby Vision DARK??

Yep, Off for DV dark. We didn't bother with any bright room HDR / DV settings as I'd never use them.

It's skin tones that see the most post calibration benefit on mine. I'd thought my previous Panasonic was very good OOTB but now know that was pushing red. I'd thought the Sony was massively pushing blue but it wasn't actually quite as off as I'd thought due to this.

I think given this set is pretty good OOTB, if you are already using the more accurate modes it may not be enough difference for a lot of people for £250ish. Knocking blue gain to -7 was most of the way there on mine, everything else was pretty minor fine tuning.

Ironically it's the non-avforumers with their sets in standard mode that would see most benefit from paying for a calibration, and these are the least likely to do so!

Yep, Off for DV dark. We didn't bother with any bright room HDR / DV settings as I'd never use them.

It's skin tones that see the most post calibration benefit on mine. I'd thought my previous Panasonic was very good OOTB but now know that was pushing red. I'd thought the Sony was massively pushing blue but it wasn't actually quite as off as I'd thought due to this.

I think given this set is pretty good OOTB, if you are already using the more accurate modes it may not be enough difference for a lot of people for £250ish. Knocking blue gain to -7 was most of the way there on mine, everything else was pretty minor fine tuning.

Ironically it's the non-avforumers with their sets in standard mode that would see most benefit from paying for a calibration, and these are the least likely to do so!
Thanks mate. Yes, I have the recommended OOTB settings and I'm very happy with them so far... BUT If Jules can ring some more quality out of the TV that'll be great too. Cheers!

One more post calibration observation for anyone interested

I still have the "glowing blacks" on Dolby Vision that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Only visible to me in a pitch black room and no bright content on screen. Dropping black level by 1 removes it but results in black crush. Interestingly, on the Apple TV, the entire screen will have this glowing / dithering, but on the internal apps, the black bars actually stay black. Forcing the ATV to HDR10 removes the issue.

I'd be a bit miffed if I had a DV player, but I only have an HDR10 player so given it's only really discs I watch with all the lights off, it's not a big deal. I might force the ATV to HDR10 but not sure it's worth the bother switching to be honest. With any ambient light in the room the lack of filter means the panel black level raises enough to make it invisible as an issue anyway.

I still have the "glowing blacks" on Dolby Vision that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Only visible to me in a pitch black room and no bright content on screen. Dropping black level by 1 removes it but results in black crush. Interestingly, on the Apple TV, the entire screen will have this glowing / dithering, but on the internal apps, the black bars actually stay black. Forcing the ATV to HDR10 removes the issue.
A better option than messing with Black Level is to lower the RGB cuts/biases under 2pt controls by 4. This gets rid of the glow, does not cause black crush and the impact to whitepoint is minimal (measured with an i1D3).
If the set underwent calibration, it'd have to be redone of course. But still, the above method is a quick way to get rid of that glow for DV, unless one has the means and inclination to calibrate in DV mode (I do not).

Having recently watched 4k UHD DV transfers of a couple of older films - The Magnificent Seven (the 1960 original) and The Mask of Zorro - I must say the A95K does show its QD- over W- OLED advantages, in direct comparisons with a Panasonic GZ.
These are overall bright (some would say, properly lit) and colorful (the former more so than the latter) titles, so the differences between the two technologies are more readily apparent.

Having recently watched 4k UHD DV transfers of a couple of older films - The Magnificent Seven (the 1960 original) and The Mask of Zorro - I must say the A95K does show its QD- over W- OLED advantages, in direct comparisons with a Panasonic GZ.
These are overall bright (some would say, properly lit) and colorful (the former more so than the latter) titles, so the differences between the two technologies are more readily apparent.
I haven’t done a back to back comparison between the A95 and my Panny FZ952, but I will say the addition of Dolby Vision on the former is a major plus point. I took advantage of Sky’s offer for 6 months free Apple TV and the picture is extraordinary on that.

I have a problem that I'm sure I didn't have until recently A95k with games that use vrr like the last of us part 1 or legacy hiwgarts in hog frame rate mode sometimes when launching these games I see colored horizontal lines, appearing and disappearing on the screen screen, when this disturbance occurs sometimes the video signal disappears and then returns and when it returns it stops making the disturbance... or by disabling and re-enabling the vrr from the console the disturbance disappears... can someone help me!?

I have a problem that I'm sure I didn't have until recently A95k with games that use vrr like the last of us part 1 or legacy hiwgarts in hog frame rate mode sometimes when launching these games I see colored horizontal lines, appearing and disappearing on the screen screen, when this disturbance occurs sometimes the video signal disappears and then returns and when it returns it stops making the disturbance... or by disabling and re-enabling the vrr from the console the disturbance disappears... can someone help me!?
Does the problem appear on the other HDMI 2.1 port?
Have you updated your PS to the latest firmware, as they have released 2 firmware updates over the last week.

Does the problem appear on the other HDMI 2.1 port?
Have you updated your PS to the latest firmware, as they have released 2 firmware updates over the last week.
yes apper on both hdmi port ad have update the ps5 firmware

Is it possible to go back to the previous firmware!? with the last known a lot of hdmi handshake problems with xbox sx and ps5 consoles

I haven’t done a back to back comparison between the A95 and my Panny FZ952, but I will say the addition of Dolby Vision on the former is a major plus point. I took advantage of Sky’s offer for 6 months free Apple TV and the picture is extraordinary on that.
The GZ does have DV so I was doing an "apples to apples" comparison :)
I should probably give Mad Max Fury Road a go at some point, I expect that one would benefit from the expanded colour gamut and volume and higher peak luminance too.

With that said: back when I had the FZ and GZ I did check HDR10 vs DV with a few titles and there really wasn't that much of a difference between the two. Maybe it would have been more evident with them side-by-side but going from one room to another... it was more or less a wash.
Mind you, whatever checks I made have always been with 4k discs, never bothered to compare streaming versions. The gaps between HDR10 and DV may be larger there.

Is it possible to go back to the previous firmware!? with the last known a lot of hdmi handshake problems with xbox sx and ps5 consoles
As far as I know... no. There's a warning about not being able to go back to a previous f/w version whenever the TV is ready to install an update.
However, it's Android TV at its core and at least in theory it ought to be possible, if one got hold of a full image from an earlier f/w release. Nvidia does make such images available for the Shield, but I doubt Sony does.

That reads like a possible HDMI cable issue. Do you have another known good HDMI cable to try?

Paul

With that said: back when I had the FZ and GZ I did check HDR10 vs DV with a few titles and there really wasn't that much of a difference between the two. Maybe it would have been more evident with them side-by-side but going from one room to another... it was more or less a wash.
Mind you, whatever checks I made have always been with 4k discs, never bothered to compare streaming versions. The gaps between HDR10 and DV may be larger there.
With the A95K's dynamic tone mapping for HDR10, any differences between its DoVi and HDR10 presentation will be very small I'd expect.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom