Sony A95K QD-OLED 1st Thoughts, Hi-Fi For Under A Grand, CMS Calibration + AV/Hi-Fi News & More

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week we get Phil’s first impressions of the Sony A95K QD-OLED TV which he has started reviewing for the site, plus Jules discusses Colour Management System (CMS) Calibration and why it is important. Ed gives us his Album, Playlist and Vinyl for the week, and he also delves into the subject of Hi-Fi in 2022 and how to put a system together for under a grand! We also get the latest AV and Hi-Fi news from Ian.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Julian Scott and Ian Collen.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:24 - Welcome
00:13:20 - Competitions
00:16:36 - Netflix news
00:20:20 - LG webOS news
00:24:00 - Auro-3D finds a buyer
00:25:47 - Exposure launches 3510 pre/power amplifier
00:27:16 - How to build a Hi-Fi system in 2022 for under a grand
00:37:09 - Sony A95K QD-OLED first thoughts
00:50:54 - Colour Management Calibration discussion
00:57:07 - Ed's Vinyl, Album and playlist of the week

This podcast is sponsored by Farnell, the global electronics distributor, part of the Avnet group. Delivering products, services, and solutions to thousands of customers around the world who focus on electronic system design, manufacturing, industrial environments, as well as across maintenance and repair sectors.

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
I’ve been watching the live Youtube stream for a while now (666JGNotts on youtube) and like the format just as it is now. I like the banter and chat between you all as well as the interesting technical talk.

If you split the podcasts into separate ones you may well lose the banter and chat and that, in my opinion, would be a shame.

Many thanks to you all for doing these and it’s always something I look forward to,

I’ve been watching the live Youtube stream for a while now (666JGNotts on youtube) and like the format just as it is now. I like the banter and chat between you all as well as the interesting technical talk.

If you split the podcasts into separate ones you may well lose the banter and chat and that, in my opinion, would be a shame.

Many thanks to you all for doing these and it’s always something I look forward to,
Totally agree and I also enjoy the so-called irrelevant chat ( Inc Steve's rants in the past ). I subscribe to a number of sports podcasts which have evolved into a more relaxed informal conversation between the presenters. They are far easier on the ear and very relaxing.

Keep up the good work folks!

Really enjoy the podcasts you all do. If they don't change I wouldn't mind however, I do think it might be an idea to split the 2 of them and have a podcast each week.

One week hardware and the other week movies etc. That way it is clear there is an AV Forums podcast on at 7.30 or whatever every Monday for example rather than every other one. Consistency of what to expect and when, I think will drive a bigger audience. I would assume the majority of viewers/listeners view both anyway, so knowing something will be on at the same time each week would be good.

Q&A is a good idea if possible within the timeframe. The hour time slots for each works at present.

Keep up the good work.

Maybe you can do the odd podcast going into more technical detail. For example how to calibrate a TV or how discs are mastered. It could be that this is more suited to Youtube, but it would be good if there was a detailed commentary on what you are doing and why you are doing and saying what not to do. I like Julian's contributions but it's not very detailed for those of us who like to know more.

It would be good to get more AVR & Subwoofer reviews (for me anyway - less Soundbars and more full blown AV focus) :)

The current podcast format is really good. However I also like the idea of having a podcast every week - it was always good previously having a new podcast to look forward to weekly, but wouldn't want to lose the banter and chat from the current format.

My thoughts for what they are worth.
YouTube broadcast has been an excellent addition to the audio podcast format ( I use the Podcast Addict android app )
Agree with the suggestions to split the two podcasts into separate weekly editions to widen the presence and profile of AVF.
Current format for the main edition is about right.
Do think the movies podcast is somewhat childish at times ( sorry Cas et al ).
Always enjoy the " specials " with an invited guest focusing on a particular subject or range of products.

Last edited:
It would be good to get more AVR & Subwoofer reviews (for me anyway - less Soundbars and more full blown AV focus) :)

The current podcast format is really good. However I also like the idea of having a podcast every week - it was always good previously having a new podcast to look forward to weekly, but wouldn't want to lose the banter and chat from the current format.
Totally agree. Although the Podcasts are good they now miss the input and reviews from Steve very much actually. What i mean is it seems like the AV side of things is now all about wee Powered Soundbars and wee screen sizes like Tvs. What about AVRs/Passive Speakers and Passive Soundbars/Subwoofers/Projectors and Screens? All of them can go into Livingrooms very easily.

Just my thoughts on making the smaller bitesize podcasts, please don't. As a long time listener back to when you talked about android boxes and it was all one podcast, I still miss the old days just general chat and banter and I fear you would lose most of that if it went smaller still.

Podcast Shorts - 25th July 2022:
News - Exposure Electronics announces 3510 pre- and power amplifiers

This week we get Phil’s first impressions of the Sony A95K QD-OLED TV which he has started reviewing for the site, plus Jules discusses Colour Management System (CMS) Calibration and why it is important. Ed gives us his Album, Playlist and Vinyl for the week, and he also delves into the subject of Hi-Fi in 2022 and how to put a system together for under a grand! We also get the latest AV and Hi-Fi news from Ian.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Julian Scott and Ian Collen.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:24 - Welcome
00:13:20 - Competitions
00:16:36 - Netflix news
00:20:20 - LG webOS news
00:24:00 - Auro-3D finds a buyer
00:25:47 - Exposure launches 3510 pre/power amplifier
00:27:16 - How to build a Hi-Fi system in 2022 for under a grand
00:37:09 - Sony A95K QD-OLED first thoughts
00:50:54 - Colour Management Calibration discussion
00:57:07 - Ed's Vinyl, Album and playlist of the week

This podcast is sponsored by Farnell, the global electronics distributor, part of the Avnet group. Delivering products, services, and solutions to thousands of customers around the world who focus on electronic system design, manufacturing, industrial environments, as well as across maintenance and repair sectors.

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

I have been listing to the audio podcast, since about 2016 and really enjoyed it. I look forward to the news, I like to keep up to date with what's happening in the industry, love when you have had guests talking about products or what's coming, so please keep this up. Still love Phil's reviews of TVs and Projectors (do still miss Steve) and Ed's HiFi reviews, but would like to see a review of another product (not sound bars). Have struggled with the movies podcast do find it a bit childish , did listen to a couple of episodes for TVs shows the team have been watching and would recommend, only to get to the end of the show and only one program would be reviewed out of all that is available. I know they cannot watch everything, but a bit more detail on a couple of shows they are currently enjoying would be welcome.

Im not sure if it’s a right place to ask but Phil give me an advice please, 77”G2 vs 65 A95k.
Hugeness and immersion of 77” or best accuracy color etc of Sony QD Oled?

Im not sure if it’s a right place to ask but Phil give me an advice please, 77”G2 vs 65 A95k.
Hugeness and immersion of 77” or best accuracy color etc of Sony QD Oled?
I replied to your PM.

Podcast Shorts - 25th July 2022:
Discussion: What is a TV's Colour Management System and why is it important?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom