Sony A95K (BRAVIA XR-55A95K) QD-OLED TV Review & Comments

Sorry, i have Exchange 4 a90j 65 because have found a dead subpixel on green, Red, blue... Anyone have tested this on a95k 65?

Hi.
I am aiming to purchase the 55” as a replacement for my sadly screen burned A1 of almost five years. I configured it with good old Steve Withers recommendations and wondered if there was a similar Option for the A95K?
I would be happy to have it calibrated but am not sure if there’s a trusted person in the Chester area of North west. Any recommendations gratefully received.
I should point out that I will be buying from John Lewis.
Thanks.

Does anyone know if AVF are going to release some picture settings, have always followed these and the A95k is good out of the box but some steer from those who know a thing or two would br great

:)
any luck with the settings? got mine yesterday and just waiting for the wall mount to be delivered today.

Hi.
I am aiming to purchase the 55” as a replacement for my sadly screen burned A1 of almost five years. I configured it with good old Steve Withers recommendations and wondered if there was a similar Option for the A95K?
I would be happy to have it calibrated but am not sure if there’s a trusted person in the Chester area of North west. Any recommendations gratefully received.
I should point out that I will be buying from John Lewis.
Thanks.
Have a look at Crampton and Moore. They offer a calibration service with their TVs. It's £149 for the A95K.

Have a look at Crampton and Moore. They offer a calibration service with their TVs. It's £149 for the A95K.

Thanks will check out although mine is coming from John Lewis.

Anyway, I have not found these great difficulties in cleaning the panel microfiber for glasses and Zeiss lenses and breath and no halo or stain remains ... The only thing wrong are the marks on the panel

Best in Class for 2D movie watching might be more accurate.
This is why I will never get rid of my Samsung JS9000 - 4K and 3D and one of the last sold.
I do have the A95K now and can appreciate the huge improvement it delivers in PQ, but still like to enjoy some of my large collection of 3D movies.

I just hope the 3D glasses do not expire any time soon.

Hi Phil Hinton
Do you think you'll be publishing a 'Best Settings' video for the Sony A95K any time soon?
Thank you again for the great review!
Cheers buddy.
M

Agree, new mediatek chip providing 4* 2.1 ports and a 77” variant, I won’t be able to say no…
Mediatek Pentonik 1000 chip has just been launched which will power flagships from Philips, Sony, etc as from next year.
It will support 4 HDMIs 2.1.

Mediatek Pentonik 1000 chip has just been launched which will power flagships from Philips, Sony, etc as from next year.

Looks like it will enhance the picture and other features as well, so that means I may wait even longer into 2023.

Looks like it will enhance the picture and other features as well, so that means I may wait even longer into 2023.
I am not sure how much the new Pentonik chip would affect the picture quality.

According to Caleb Denison of Digital Trends who posted a video on this subject, it seems to mostly affect gaming e.g. to connect up to 4 devices of such as Playstation 5, X Box etc at once.

Am I am in a fix of whether to buy it now - Black Friday deals presently, the 65-inch model at a significantly discounted €2,611 from Spain under the Single Market (here in the EU) or wait another year.

I am a movie enthusiast and do not give a hoot about gaming.

Yesterday I researched a bit about the Pentonik 1000:

Apart from gaming-related extra features (in respect of which I do not care at all), the most noteworthy part, in my opinion, was this:

"HEVC (H.265), VVC (H.266), VP9, AV1, AVS3"

It appears that the new chip supports a new video codec: Versatile Video Coding (VVC) or H.266.

VVC is MPEG's next-generation video encoding and decoding standard. It is designed as the successor to High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC/H.265) for further alleviating stress on large data transmission like 4K, 8K and even 16K UHD videos, as new codec always has been.

Compared with royalty-free video coding formats like AVI and VP9, H.26x series including H.266, H.265, H.264, etc. are proprietary with numbers of patent pool administrators.

How much important it is, I do not know?

@Phil Hinton

Dear Phil, a word of advice please, your expertise would help. Am I worrying about nothing really as for a non-gamer like me, Pentonik 1000 would not make a significant difference so I can go ahead and grab a Black Friday deal? Or should I wait another year as there are non-gaming benefits of value which I am not seeing?

Kindly advise me and other Forum members who might be in a similar position.

@Phil Hinton

Dear Phil, a word of advice please, your expertise would help. Am I worrying about nothing really as for a non-gamer like me, Pentonik 1000 would not make a significant difference so I can go ahead and grab a Black Friday deal? Or should I wait another year as there are non-gaming benefits of value which I am not seeing?

Kindly advise me and other Forum members who might be in a similar position.
Dave, if you don't need any of the gaming features and you are confident that the TVs you are looking at fulfil any other use case you want, then go ahead and look at getting a deal. As long as it fits what you need right now and you don't see yourself needing more than two HDMI 2.1 inputs I think you are more than safe to get yourself a 2022 model of your choosing.

Dave, if you don't need any of the gaming features and you are confident that the TVs you are looking at fulfil any other use case you want, then go ahead and look at getting a deal. As long as it fits what you need right now and you don't see yourself needing more than two HDMI 2.1 inputs I think you are more than safe to get yourself a 2022 model of your choosing.
Many thanks Phil for your prompt feedback; much appreciated.

Thanks for the info on the new chipset DaveCarry!

Thanks Phil @Phil Hinton for your clarification on whether to 'buy now or buy later'.

On another issue...

How can I increase the quality of the Ethernet connection on the A95K? I think it's a pretty paltry 100mbps? Is there a stable and cost effective way of boosting this? Or maybe use a USB input and an Ethernet adapter type thingy???

Lastly, @Phil Hinton is there any chance of a settings video for the A95K? Just to get us going until we can get it calibrated. Thank you guys! M

Thanks for the info on the new chipset DaveCarry!

Thanks Phil @Phil Hinton for your clarification on whether to 'buy now or buy later'.

On another issue...

How can I increase the quality of the Ethernet connection on the A95K? I think it's a pretty paltry 100mbps? Is there a stable and cost effective way of boosting this? Or maybe use a USB input and an Ethernet adapter type thingy???

Lastly, @Phil Hinton is there any chance of a settings video for the A95K? Just to get us going until we can get it calibrated. Thank you guys! M
A USB ethernet adaptor is the fix here. It's been mentioned a bit on the owners thread.

This was the key quote for me in relation to the new processor -

“By integrating Dolby Vision IQ with Precision Detail, the Pentonic 1000 will enable 4K smart TVs to expand the Dolby Vision experience,” Mathias Bendull, Vice President of Living Room at Dolby Laboratories, said in a press release. “Dolby will work with MediaTek and our OEM partners to bring the astonishing Dolby Vision imaging for more use cases to 4K smart TVs.”

I’ve just purchased a TP link homeplug x2 with the idea of hooking up the Sony A95K to replace the Wi-Fi connection but which to connect to - TP link or router? Both obviously form the LAN connection but which is the best as presently it’s via the router but I see random Wi-Fi disconnect messages at the moment which oddly was the case with my old Sony A1😐

I have a 50” pioneer kuro which has been giving satisfactory service since I bought it 14 years ago. I am contemplating replacing it with one of these. Probably a 66” one. The sound for the TV is a direct to a pair of Rega bookshelf speakers from the amplifier built in to the screen. I should like to use these with the Sony.

So far as I can see the only way to use them is via the optical output from the screen to a separate amplifier. I assume that this is a single level output not controlled by the volume control of the remote. Is this so? If so this would make the occasional need to alter the volume/mute the sound tedious. Can anyone comment on this?

So far as I can see the only way to use them is via the optical output from the screen to a separate amplifier. I assume that this is a single level output not controlled by the volume control of the remote. Is this so? If so this would make the occasional need to alter the volume/mute the sound tedious. Can anyone comment on this?
Yes, that's correct and I believe how all TOSLink streams work. You could always go the Bluetooth root, using a Bluetooth receiver into a small amp. This would use input from the TV's remote for volume control.
There's also HDMI audio extractors, so a few options for you. It is highly annoying the TV doesn't have a line level output though, as many of us owners would like to run an active subwoofer with it. This would of course also facilitate your use case. It can still be done but, is much more of a faff.

I should point out, the onboard sound is very good. The subwoofer drivers appear to need some running in to give their highest output but, the new opening sequence for Netflix now gives a very satisfying deep bass note.

Paul

Why would you claim that someone couldn't see a difference between 800 and 900 nits? You 100% can see a difference. If you had a white screen at 800 nits and suddenly increased it to 900 nits you would see a jump in brightness. It might not be large, but it would certainly, unquestionably be noticeable.

I think people have a big misunderstanding of nits and that is because they hear you need a large increase in nits, to double the brightness. That is true, but you don't need to even come close to doubling the brightness, to see a very noticeable increase in brightness.

Why would you claim that someone couldn't see a difference between 800 and 900 nits? You 100% can see a difference. If you had a white screen at 800 nits and suddenly increased it to 900 nits you would see a jump in brightness. It might not be large, but it would certainly, unquestionably be noticeable.

I think people have a big misunderstanding of nits and that is because they hear you need a large increase in nits, to double the brightness. That is true, but you don't need to even come close to doubling the brightness, to see a very noticeable increase in brightness.
I'd suggest you re-read Phil's comments on this. The key phrase being "in isolation". You've taken Phil's comments out of context, despite the context being in the statement you're questioning.

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom