Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

So with this talk of Bravia Core, I checked mine and my credits from when I bought the TV have ran out. Now the only way you can add movies to your library is to purchase or rent them. And the prices are insane… $15 for HD or $20 for 4K to purchase them. Literally at those prices I would just buy the 4K Blu-ray on sale and have the movie FOREVER and also get better audio. I assume when the subscription ends you can’t use the unlimited streaming ones. Basically Bravia Core is a pay as you go ‘streaming service’.

Can I ask what version you are on?

Settings/help & about.

Mine is 2.1.3. I’ve cleared cache and data logged out then back in and did a soft reset on the tv but it’s still the same.
Same version here.

So with this talk of Bravia Core, I checked mine and my credits from when I bought the TV have ran out. Now the only way you can add movies to your library is to purchase or rent them. And the prices are insane… $15 for HD or $20 for 4K to purchase them. Literally at those prices I would just buy the 4K Blu-ray on sale and have the movie FOREVER and also get better audio. I assume when the subscription ends you can’t use the unlimited streaming ones. Basically Bravia Core is a pay as you go ‘streaming service’.
Unlimited is still there actually

Something is definitely up, I’ve emailed them to see what they say. My subscription runs till July 2023, I’m missing 5 credits, thankfully my library is still there but not a lot else.

On the Sony tab from the Home Screen I get that but when it takes me in it’s just blank.

As for lack of films that is my option when searching for Spider-Man. Uncharted/Morbius/Venom doesn’t bring up any results.

I can’t rent/buy anything as I don’t have that option

Attachments

• 95A1E1E7-B0C4-44AA-BC19-D6483D635C50.jpeg
    95A1E1E7-B0C4-44AA-BC19-D6483D635C50.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 999116E7-CF93-4C0B-AC83-5524CF57A7FB.jpeg
    999116E7-CF93-4C0B-AC83-5524CF57A7FB.jpeg
    338.9 KB · Views: 56
@IL Cattivo Did you ever get hold of a copy of 'The king of New York'?

I seem to remember it's one of your favs. Saw this and thought of you, £2.99 in UHD.
Hello matey.. How's tricks?

The King Of New York actually came out on Amazon Prime not long ago, so I held off getting it on disc.

Wish I hadn't held off cause the PQ of the HD version on Prime was appalling!!

Great film though.. Love me some Mr Walken.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The King Of New York actually came out on Amazon Prime not long ago, so I held off getting it on disc.

I'm like a scarecrow in his field - outstanding.

And you?

Headphones or speakers but not both together.

How about the optical output?

I see that I can connect my old stereo (RCA inputs) with a cheap digital output to analog converter.

If I go this route instead of using the headphones jack, can I get sound from both the optical output and the TV speakers at the same time?

Thanks.

How about the optical output?

I see that I can connect my old stereo (RCA inputs) with a cheap digital output to analog converter.

If I go this route instead of using the headphones jack, can I get sound from both the optical output and the TV speakers at the same time?

Thanks.
I used optical cable connected to a converter with RCA connections to IR transmitter for my headphones. All of my headphones connected to the transmitter operate independently of each other and the tv. You can simultaneously get audio from tv and headphones or either one. Hope this helps.

Worth noting that the older 5.1 track on this is really poor, even on the Blu-ray, and the streaming services have gone with that track rather than the 2.0 which is fine. So it’s well worth getting the 4K disc as it apparently has a tweaked 5.1 track, the 2.0 soundtrack is also great and the picture is excellent

I used optical cable connected to a converter with RCA connections to IR transmitter for my headphones. All of my headphones connected to the transmitter operate independently of each other and the tv. You can simultaneously get audio from tv and headphones or either one. Hope this helps.

Yes, it was my idea too, to plug my old stereo amp through optical + a DAC converter instead of using the TV headphone jack, which mutes the TV speakers. I want to hear both without unplugging anything.

What puzzles me is that there is a setting in the TV menus that seems to force you to choose between the audio output: TV speakers or audio system. That would break the idea, but if you mention that you can get audio simultaneously from both outputs (optical + TV) then it will work, so I will buy the converter.

I assume that nowadays these small DAC converters (optical to RCA stereo) offer a good sound, meaning it is the same quality as the TV headphones jack. They are about 10 euros in Amazon.

Bullet well and truly bitten, jumped on the last day of the 10% off offer from JL on the 83” and now looking forward to 18 months of penury. It better be worth it. It was a toss-up between that and the 85” Z9J and ultimately won by the prospect of zero blooming around subtitles irrespective of brightness. We watch pretty much everything with subs so I’m prepared to forego the extreme brightness of the Z9J (my XE930 already hurts the wife’s eyes during HDR) for the inky black and contrast levels.

Won’t take delivery for a bit yet to try to finish some renovations but very likely to bend a few ears in here in the meantime.

Bullet well and truly bitten, jumped on the last day of the 10% off offer from JL on the 83” and now looking forward to 18 months of penury. It better be worth it. It was a toss-up between that and the 85” Z9J and ultimately won by the prospect of zero blooming around subtitles irrespective of brightness. We watch pretty much everything with subs so I’m prepared to forego the extreme brightness of the Z9J (my XE930 already hurts the wife’s eyes during HDR) for the inky black and contrast levels.

Won’t take delivery for a bit yet to try to finish some renovations but very likely to bend a few ears in here in the meantime.
Welcome to the club!

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Yes, it was my idea too, to plug my old stereo amp through optical + a DAC converter instead of using the TV headphone jack, which mutes the TV speakers. I want to hear both without unplugging anything.

What puzzles me is that there is a setting in the TV menus that seems to force you to choose between the audio output: TV speakers or audio system. That would break the idea, but if you mention that you can get audio simultaneously from both outputs (optical + TV) then it will work, so I will buy the converter.

I assume that nowadays these small DAC converters (optical to RCA stereo) offer a good sound, meaning it is the same quality as the TV headphones jack. They are about 10 euros in Amazon.

Do they? Do these optical to RCA converters provide high quality output signal? (I mean equal or better signal than the TV headphones jack)

Thanks

After speaking the Sony re my issue it seems that was the reason my film selection was reduced, although I didn’t have the option to rent the films, all the latest releases were just gone.

It seems the credits only last a year but the subscription runs for 2 years, my credits ran out in July but you should get a email a month or so before advising you this. I couldn’t find this.

I have been re credited the 5 I lost but these will expire in 30days so will just use them on Morbius/Ghostbusters and 3 others.

Depending on how many credits you lost and if you want to email them but you should hopefully get them back.

After speaking the Sony re my issue it seems that was the reason my film selection was reduced, although I didn’t have the option to rent the films, all the latest releases were just gone.
I'm in the US so that could be why we are seeing differences in renting ect.

So I’ve noticed recently that the A90J when connected to the avp8805 pre amp that has a 4K player connected to it has a slight lip sync issue. Has anyone experienced this? Would it be better to connect the player directly into the A90J?

Hi all,

Just setting up my new A90J 55 inch tv, what should I plug in to the 2.1 HDMI slots? I have a Virgin 360 tv box, Nvidia Shield box and a Sonos arc sound bar

Many thanks for any replies

Do they? Do these optical to RCA converters provide high quality output signal? (I mean equal or better signal than the TV headphones jack)

Thanks
I can only tell you that there was no drop off of quantity in sound in my setup but I’m strictly using it to watch tv and not listen to music at a high level. The brand of converter I’m using is Insignia, a cheapo from Best Buy here in the U.S. Remember, I’m connecting the converter to an IR transmitter which then sends the signal to my wireless headphones. At present time I have 4 headphones that operate independently at the same time with option of using tv speakers in addition.The converter does not have to be touched after making these connections.
In your settings. Go to the Audio Output in Display and Sound. Put your Speakers setting at TV speakers. Then scroll down to Digital Audio Out Volume. Use the slider to bring up the volume. I have mine set to max. Good luck.

Hi all,

Just setting up my new A90J 55 inch tv, what should I plug in to the 2.1 HDMI slots? I have a Virgin 360 tv box, Nvidia Shield box and a Sonos arc sound bar

Many thanks for any replies
The Arc has to go into the eARC the others shouldn’t really matter.

So I’ve noticed recently that the A90J when connected to the avp8805 pre amp that has a 4K player connected to it has a slight lip sync issue. Has anyone experienced this? Would it be better to connect the player directly into the A90J?
Think I’ve solved this. Couple of things, turn on the TV first before the 4K player. If you turn on the 4K player first, the pre amp comes on before the TV. Something to do with the syncing. So TV on, which actives the pre amp to come on, then power up the 4K player. Also I tuned off Av sync on the A90J as well.

I can only tell you that there was no drop off of quantity in sound in my setup. The brand of converter I’m using is Insignia, a cheapo from Best Buy here in the U.S.

Thanks. I can confirm that I am able (finally!) to get the sound from both the TV speakers and my stereo amp at the same time.

The optical to RCA converter I bought is only 11 euro. The audio quality is superb, equal or better than the headphones output. The signal is strong and there is no delay between the TV speakers and the stereo speakers at all.

Happy camper here.

The USB at the TV side can power the converter. I'd prefer the TV to cut the USB power when in stand-by, but it doesn't, so the converter is always on. No big deal, though, as it might take less than 0.5 W when idle, but still.

Link to the DAC converter in Amazon.es: Amazon product ASIN B09CPXDR2R just in case someone reads from Spain.

Has anyone noticed Dolby Atmos has disappeared from the TV's Disney + app? I get it on my Nvidia Shield TV, and Netflix on the TV app also, but not D+. It used to work.

Has anyone noticed Dolby Atmos has disappeared from the TV's Disney + app? I get it on my Nvidia Shield TV, and Netflix on the TV app also, but not D+. It used to work.
Just checked the title 'Prey' via the TV's D+ app and everything appears present and correct.

DV + DA

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom