Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

And yet my AF9 did show it to a degree , although in comparison to the lg c8 it replaced ,it was much better than that , but just goes to show that every OLED panel behaves differently as I posted above
Depends on how your TV is calibrated too. You can slightly crush blacks to mitigate the problem. The image posted above is far, far too washed out and obviously hasn’t been calibrated at all. You will definitely see problems with settings like that.

And yet my AF9 did show it to a degree , although in comparison to the lg c8 it replaced ,it was much better than that , but just goes to show that every OLED panel behaves differently as I posted above
I saw 3 others over the course of my saga that all exhibited the issue to a degree, hence why I gave up in the end. But yes absolutely, the lottery is still very much alive and no two sets will be exactly the same. 👍🏻

Depends on how your TV is calibrated too. You can slightly crush blacks to mitigate the problem. The image posted above is far, far too washed out and obviously hasn’t been calibrated at all. You will definitely see problems with settings like that.
Not true of Luminance Overshoot in my experience, it just moves the issue into a different part of the picture (but the same luminance as far as the panel is concerned).

The coming out of black too fast combined with Luminance Overshoot is why I returned my A90J after 9 months, I couldn’t stand it (especially as AF9 before it did not exhibit the issues).

Eagerly awaiting the A95K now. 👍🏻
If Luminance Overshoot is where you get a white line at the edge of shadows then that's something I've started to notice on my TV. I think it was the last series of Peaky Blinders in which it was pretty bad that has me noticing it more, to the point I'm actively looking out for it now which is starting to spoil viewing. Hopefully I will go back to ignoring it as I won't have the luxury of replacing this TV for a long time. As for the black issue fingers crossed that's not something I've seen.

In Vincent's recent video, he has mentioned this around 5 min mark. It's almost undefeatable on most Sony WOLEDs.

I had raised camera exposure to show it. I don't remember seeing this on my Panny GZ1000 OLED.

On the A80J, I am seeing this often even on 4K Blu-rays.

Yes, mine is not calibrated but there is no easy way around this issue on Sony WOLEDs. Reducing black level on this scene doesn't help either unless the slider is moved down like by 5 clicks. The TV is simply coming out of near blacks soon causing such issues. There is none of it of my ZD9 because it's a LCD panel.

I am okay with reducing black levels only when the source has raised blacks. Otherwise, it will crush shadow. Some might prefer this as it will look contrasty but at the expense of crushing shadow details.

Hello again, fellow A90J users!

Over a week ago, I finally got an A90J, and I love it, even with just ootb settings, as I'll eventually try D-Nice's setup for more accuracy.

The only thing that I both love, but bothers me, is the motion. I have MotionFlow set to Auto, and CineMotion on High, and when it works right, it's so smooth it's life-like, but with a lot of artifacting occasionally. I've tried turning all the motion settings off, but it's almost unwatchable as the motion blur and judder are so bad.

So my question is, why is turning motion settings off the recommended for "creators intent", if it's so bad? It's obvious the judder results in detail loss, and is overall unpleasant to the eye. I also can't find another combination that makes it as smooth as Auto while reducing artifacting.

There is no motion blur with OLED. It has instant pixel response, so you are seeing something else. Try motion settings MotionFlow: Custom, Smoothness: 1, Clearness: Min and turn off Film Mode.

About this download​

Benefits and Improvements​

• Resolves an issue where subtitles are not showing in specific contents
  • Resolves an issue where the clock display on the TV stops
  • Resolves an issue where only the right side of the screen is visible
  • Resolves an issue where certain YouTube content becomes a green picture
  • Resolves an issue where it’s not possible to watch a channel while recording another channel under specific circumstances
  • Improves Auto local dimming (*1) and Peak luminance (*2) options when Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) is enabled.
    (*1) for Z9J/ X95J/ X90J/ Z9K/ X95K/ X90K/ X90S
    (*2) for Z9J/ A90J/ A80J/ X95J/ X90-92-93-94J / Z9K/ A95K/ A90-92-93-94K/ A80K/X95K/ X90K/ X90-94S

Anyone updated their firmware? Downloading mine

Anyone updated their firmware? Downloading mine
Let us know how it goes chap?

I wonder if the top one has anything to do with subs not showing correctly in Netflix of late?
I watched 'Paradise Lost' the other night and for the life of me could not get the subs to display only the foreign speech. Tried all sub-options available and it was subs for both languages or nothing!! Same also for the documentary 'Killing Escobar' that I watched.

Very quick check to see my calibration settings didn’t go away - check! All good there.

Cannot see any downgrade to picture quality - checked with Apple TV 4K. In fact it looked sharper but I’m sure that’s my head.

Last edited:
Thinking of having my 65 a90j calibrated, is it really worth it .
Opinions appreciated from anyone who has had pro calibration done .
Thanks Gary

Thinking of having my 65 a90j calibrated, is it really worth it .
Opinions appreciated from anyone who has had pro calibration done .
Thanks Gary
My set is calibrated - there is a difference yes, is it worth it, that depends on how much you appreciate the improvement vs the cost. These sets are pretty accurate out of the box!

From what I can remember you need to pick a terrestrial channel possibly none HD. Then go in to settings

View attachment 1717137
Then display & sound and click on screen.

View attachment 1717138
In this menu change the display area to +1 and the wide mode to full. Then launch iplayer and it should be zoomed out.
View attachment 1717139
Sadly I’ve only done this using terrestrial channels.

Also this initially messed up BBC HD into a stretched image, but putting the wide mode back to auto fixed this without altering iplayer. Makes me think you need to trick the tv into changing the aspect ratio of iplayer. Hopefully this will help.
Thanks for this and yes it works, but as soon as you return the settings back for SD channels it reverts in iPlayer too. A real shame that Sony don’t have the will to fix this obviously very easy fix and just alter the settings for iPlayer as this affects all 2021 models 🙁

Thanks for this and yes it works, but as soon as you return the settings back for SD channels it reverts in iPlayer too. A real shame that Sony don’t have the will to fix this obviously very easy fix and just alter the settings for iPlayer as this affects all 2021 models 🙁
Yes Sony need to get this sorted asap. Firstly we have to wait nearly a year for iPlayer support, then when we finally get it we can’t watch UHD content properly because of a software issue:facepalm:

In terms of watching iPlayer UHD content, I simply changed my Pic Mode to [Game] when in iPlayer but only when I selected the UHD content did I change it. It has what my eyes can perceive as being the closest PQ to my Cali Custom Pro 1/2 settings and the colours don't look off like in the other pic modes available. This now allows me to see the UHD content in its proper screen format (Non-Cropped) incl HDR/HLG

Now, here's the good thing I've discovered. Every time I exit UHD content from the iPlayer the TV goes back to my default Custom Pro Pic Mode and then when I do start watching UHD content again via iPlayer, it auto switches to Game Mode now.

In terms of watching iPlayer UHD content, I simply changed my Pic Mode to [Game] when in iPlayer but only when I selected the UHD content did I change it. It has what my eyes can perceive as being the closest PQ to my Cali Custom Pro 1/2 settings and the colours don't look off like in the other pic modes available. This now allows me to see the UHD content in its proper screen format (Non-Cropped) incl HDR/HLG

Now, here's the good thing I've discovered. Every time I exit UHD content from the iPlayer the TV goes back to my default Custom Pro Pic Mode and then when I do start watching UHD content again via iPlayer, it auto switches to Game Mode now.
Hi
It’s still stretched upwards , seems to be no around this unless you can plug an Ariel in .

I have no problem with iplayer reverting back, but agree there’s something not right with it.

Yea i know Side nice place so much history there. im glad you were happy. We dont have pro cali guys in here because why i asked to here. May i ask,do you mind to share your settings with me pls?

ps: by the way anyone need or think about hair implant in here,you can get friendly advise from me. iam not owner or worker. i have done my hair and no one understand is it implant or not . if is this ps against the rules pls warn me i will delete it guys.

Did anyone PM him about the hair transplant advice?
Yep, didn't quite turn out how I wanted, but hey ho....

1657092907131.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom