Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

The only little gripe I have related to iPlayer PQ is that the picture appears to be zoomed in somewhat? You can tell this by looking at the BBC UHD logo at the top right of the screen. Half the D is missing, whereas on my LG TVs this is not the case. ??

Bit odd...
Same here regarding the D.

Today and for the next 2 weeks makes that long wait for those UK Catchup apps to come to this TV all the worthwhile.

🎾
New Balls Please....

77A80J owner here.

The biggest negative for me is near black handling. It is still far off from Panasonic GZ OLED. Some content can be a pain to watch due to this. I bet this one shows up on the A90J too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220613_174714335.jpg
    IMG_20220613_174714335.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20220613_174724411.jpg
    IMG_20220613_174724411.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 97
Don’t see anything like that my on 83 A90j

The black level of those grabs looks way off. If you over brighten the image, then sure, you will see compression issues.

Thanks but are you serious about point 2? I've not seen any information from Sony to say I shouldn't switch off from the mains.

What are these 'compensation cycles' you refer to and do they only happen when in standby - I'm guessing so or I would see them :) ? Is there a time period after switch off (standby) when these start so that, for example, they'd be completed after 4 hours in standby and then I could in theory switch off at the mains? Surely this can't be good for vampire energy usage if I don't use the TV for a couple of days? Any information you have about this would be helpful.
Totally serious. The compensation cycles refresh the voltages of the pixels in order to balance their wear… if they aren’t allowed to complete, over time there will be irreparable imbalances causing visible instability on the screen.

On Sonys they occur 4 hours after going into standby. Turning off at the mains when going away for a few days is perfectly okay, but when you’re using the TV on a daily basis, leave it on at the mains to ensure they’re allowed to complete. They don’t take long and the TV draws little power in standby, so don’t worry about it. :)

Last edited:
The only little gripe I have related to iPlayer PQ is that the picture appears to be zoomed in somewhat? You can tell this by looking at the BBC UHD logo at the top right of the screen. Half the D is missing, whereas on my LG TVs this is not the case. ??

Bit odd...
This is a glitch - I have the same problem, the auto wide function is greyed out in iPlayer so it will not allow you to set It to the correct aspect. It’s unwatchable when zoomed in, not only are you missing a lot of the picture it’s also distorted and most annoyingly you will not be getting the 1-1 pixel mapping which is imperative for UHD. Sony needs to sort this out.

77A80J owner here.

The biggest negative for me is near black handling. It is still far off from Panasonic GZ OLED. Some content can be a pain to watch due to this. I bet this one shows up on the A90J too.
Ive never seen anything like that on my 77A80J , best set i,ve had in that respect

Totally serious. The compensation cycles refresh the voltages of the pixels in order to balance their wear… if they aren’t allowed to complete, over time there will be irreparable imbalances causing visible instability on the screen.

On Sonys they occur 4 hours after going into standby. Turning off at the mains when going away for a few days is perfectly okay, but when you’re using the TV on a daily basis, leave it on at the mains to ensure they’re allowed to complete. They don’t take long and the TV draws little power in standby, so don’t worry about it. :)
Thank you. I will change my routine to keep the TV on standby depending on my usage. How did you find out about this recommendation?

Bit odd...
I’m not getting the cropped iplayer. I remember it did when we first got the catch up apps, but there was a setting that solved the issue for me. Something about going to a standard terrestrial channel like itv2 and changing the screen setting to full width or something similar I can’t fully remember.

I’m not getting the cropped iplayer. I remember it did when we first got the catch up apps, but there was a setting that solved the issue for me. Something about going to a standard terrestrial channel like itv2 and changing the screen setting to full width or something similar I can’t fully remember.
Interesting... Need to know more about this please if you can recollect.? I don't have terrestrial TV going through mine, only digital Sat TV in terms of channels.

Game Graphics and Photo picture mode show the full UHD dog on BBC i-player but I don't like the colours, I use standard.

Game Graphics and Photo picture mode show the full UHD dog on BBC i-player but I don't like the colours, I use standard.
Yeah, I would prefer to stick with my calibrated 'Custom Pro' pic modes, like I do with all my inputs, sources and apps if I can.

Interesting... Need to know more about this please if you can recollect.? I don't have terrestrial TV going through mine, only digital Sat TV in terms of channels.
From what I can remember you need to pick a terrestrial channel possibly none HD. Then go in to settings

23D7E4AF-3AAF-46EB-BF08-B8A9471BC5FA.jpeg

Then display & sound and click on screen.

BEF77C72-EEC2-43B6-A9BE-C2D5ACAE87E3.jpeg

In this menu change the display area to +1 and the wide mode to full. Then launch iplayer and it should be zoomed out.
0712D8A2-B7E6-4996-8074-A31C20651BE4.jpeg

Sadly I’ve only done this using terrestrial channels.

Also this initially messed up BBC HD into a stretched image, but putting the wide mode back to auto fixed this without altering iplayer. Makes me think you need to trick the tv into changing the aspect ratio of iplayer. Hopefully this will help.

From what I can remember you need to pick a terrestrial channel possibly none HD. Then go in to settings

View attachment 1717137
Then display & sound and click on screen.

View attachment 1717138
In this menu change the display area to +1 and the wide mode to full. Then launch iplayer and it should be zoomed out.
View attachment 1717139
Sadly I’ve only done this using terrestrial channels.

Also this initially messed up BBC HD into a stretched image, but putting the wide mode back to auto fixed this without altering iplayer. Makes me think you need to trick the tv into changing the aspect ratio of iplayer. Hopefully this will help.
Agreed but sadly if you only have Sky Q then you‘re buggered!

Agreed but sadly if you only have Sky Q then you‘re buggered!
But can't us SkyQ owners still get to the terrestrial channels by removing one of the Sat cables out of the SkyQ box and plugging it into the SAT input of the TV and then doing a search for channels which should then bring up the FreeSat channels on the TV's guide? Has anyone tried it?

But can't us SkyQ owners still get to the terrestrial channels by removing one of the Sat cables out of the SkyQ box and plugging it into the SAT input of the TV and then doing a search for channels which should then bring up the FreeSat channels on the TV's guide? Has anyone tried it?
Depends which LNB you have, most Sky Q won’t work with freesat.

Probably a pain if it’s wall mounted but can you not get hold of an old portable tv aerial just to tune in the terrestrial channels?

Think that might be the only way!

Thank you. I will change my routine to keep the TV on standby depending on my usage. How did you find out about this recommendation?
Compensation cycles are a standard feature across OLED TVs - nothing special to the Sony's. Different manufacturers may call them different things.

The Sony TVs also have a panel refresh option. This is a much more thorough 'deep clean' which Sony suggests should be done about once a year or when obvious image retention seems to be apparent. Finally there is also a 'Pixel Shift' option which does as it suggests - shifts the image fractionally in normal use - in order to preserve the life of the panel. It's fine to have this on all the time.

Ive never seen anything like that on my 77A80J , best set i,ve had in that respect

With due respect it is a known issue mate. The TV comes out of near black soon.

There are videos showing this on the A90J and acknowledged by Vincent.

The coming out of black too fast combined with Luminance Overshoot is why I returned my A90J after 9 months, I couldn’t stand it (especially as AF9 before it did not exhibit the issues).

Eagerly awaiting the A95K now. 👍🏻

It may be classed as a known issue , but nobody can say that every set is affected ,or to what degree if any .., as we all know , every panel is different ,so in reality it would be better to say the issue may be seen on some panels to a varying degree :thumbsup:

The coming out of black too fast combined with Luminance Overshoot is why I returned my A90J after 9 months, I couldn’t stand it (especially as AF9 before it did not exhibit the issues).

Eagerly awaiting the A95K now. 👍🏻
And yet my AF9 did show it to a degree , although in comparison to the lg c8 it replaced ,it was much better than that , but just goes to show that every OLED panel behaves differently as I posted above

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom