Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Maybe that's how Sam Raimi Evil dead director wanted it. But the clarity and detail on offer can't be argued with regardless of cgi tastes..it looks exactly the sameasit did at the cinema. I love it ..Great escapism
Yeah that's just his vision.

Yeah that's just his vision.
Watched it last night on the a90j! Looks absolutely stunning! This TV has spoilt me now. No other sets look the same!

You think the cgi ooks better than infinity war and end war?
No… I’m talking about the picture quality the a90j produces

Unplug all HDMI’s then reset the a90j by pressing the power button on the remote. I’ve got the same size and I love mine! Best picture I’ve ever seen on a TV
Thanks Umar, it didn’t work but then I remembered why I bought a screen this size instead of a new 4K projector. The 9300w I use doesn’t always play well with 4K sources and although I’d removed the pj the wireless transmitter was still connected to the processor and holding everything back to 1080! :facepalm:

Thanks Umar, it didn’t work but then I remembered why I bought a screen this size instead of a new 4K projector. The 9300w I use doesn’t always play well with 4K sources and although I’d removed the pj the wireless transmitter was still connected to the processor and holding everything back to 1080! :facepalm:
It should output in 4K. I have the same size and it works fine. What 4K player are you using? Have you checked the settings? Another way to do it is to plug the 4K player straight into the TV and let the eARC do it’s thing?

It’s all fine now. I just forgot to unplug the lower resolution second hdmi output from the amp which ”told” the source devices 2k was the max it could handle. The Epson 9300w is a fantastic projector but slightly hamstrung by the slower speed hdmi sockets.
I had been planning to buy a newer native 4k projector but the cheapest (ignoring the outgoing models) was about £6k and given in my room I can only get a 85” screen, when I found the 83a90 for £4.5k it was a no brainer.

Last edited:
Hi, not sure if I'm dumb, but have just started setting up the TV and when I switch on WiFi, no list of connections appear? Any ideas?

Many thanks

Mark

Hi, not sure if I'm dumb, but have just started setting up the TV and when I switch on WiFi, no list of connections appear? Any ideas?

Many thanks

Mark
Have you got a cable plugged into the TV's Ethernet port when you enable WiFi? If so, remove it.

Have you got a cable plugged into the TV's Ethernet port when you enable WiFi? If so, remove it.
Unplugged and powered back on again.. Now its showing me the available connections. The on/off route should have been my first decision 🙄

Today and for the next 2 weeks makes that long wait for those UK Catchup apps to come to this TV all the worthwhile.

🎾

Sure is.. Centre Court matches only.

How are you finding the movement? The picture quality is great but the movement is quite jerky and off putting.
Watched plenty of Glasto coverage over the weekend and it was fine so unsure why the tennis is playing up.

How are you finding the movement? The picture quality is great but the movement is quite jerky and off putting.
Watched plenty of Glasto coverage over the weekend and it was fine so unsure why the tennis is playing up.
Not seeing any jerkiness or judder at all here? Ball, players and camera movement have been super smooth. Very impressed with what I've seen so far..

Not seeing any jerkiness or judder at all here? Ball, players and camera movement have been super smooth. Very impressed with what I've seen so far..
What is the recommended motion settings? I’ve notice some artifacting on the odd occasion and end up messing with the motion settings to the point I can’t remember what’s best anymore.

What is the recommended motion settings? I’ve notice some artifacting on the odd occasion and end up messing with the motion settings to the point I can’t remember what’s best anymore.
Turn film mode off if you haven’t. My guess is it is related to the iPlayer app outputting 50Hz.

Does anyone knows how to disable/hide the Sony tab that popped up in the home screen?

Ok interesting as I was definitely seeing some micro stutter. Will watch again later to test. I have all motion processing turned off so know it is nothing to do with that.

Ok interesting as I was definitely seeing some micro stutter. Will watch again later to test. I have all motion processing turned off so know it is nothing to do with that.
The only little gripe I have related to iPlayer PQ is that the picture appears to be zoomed in somewhat? You can tell this by looking at the BBC UHD logo at the top right of the screen. Half the D is missing, whereas on my LG TVs this is not the case. ??

Bit odd...

The only little gripe I have related to iPlayer PQ is that the picture appears to be zoomed in somewhat? You can tell this by looking at the BBC UHD logo at the top right of the screen. Half the D is missing, whereas on my LG TVs this is not the case. ??

Bit odd...

Yes I noticed this too. Funnily enough I had the same issue with stuttering when I watched the champions legaue final via the YouTube app but just put this down as a one off. I really don't use the apps but of course want to watch Wimbledon in UHD.

For 1) and 3) I believe the answers are “No”.

For 2), DO NOT power off the TV at the mains between viewing sessions, as this will prevent the necessary compensation cycles from happening and not only degrade the picture quality over time but also cause damage to the panel in the long run. Turn the TV off with the remote and leave it on at the mains so it can take care of itself.
Thanks but are you serious about point 2? I've not seen any information from Sony to say I shouldn't switch off from the mains.

What are these 'compensation cycles' you refer to and do they only happen when in standby - I'm guessing so or I would see them :) ? Is there a time period after switch off (standby) when these start so that, for example, they'd be completed after 4 hours in standby and then I could in theory switch off at the mains? Surely this can't be good for vampire energy usage if I don't use the TV for a couple of days? Any information you have about this would be helpful.

Bit odd...
This has really been winding me up during Glasto and now Wimbledon. When iPlayer first appeared on my A80J earlier in the year, the aspect ratio was way out - vertically stretched to the point of being unwatchable. I played around with various settings over the course of a few days and it somehow rectified itself. However, it's now reappeared with the live UHD programming and although the picture isn't distorted, it's definitely cropped. I know this because using a Roku 4K stick the picture is perfect (e.g. no missing 'D'). Once again I've tried playing around with all sorts of settings but to no avail. I've had to resort to using the Roku to watch any UHD output from the iPlayer; very frustrating :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom