Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Metalane

So for those who use the built-in A90J speaker, can you hear or feel any rattle during certain louder moments? When I tried the demo at the store on the A80J, if you got close you could faintly hear and feel (finger test) the back rattle. Is it distracting, does it affect the panel quality?

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Thanks very much…..
Problem I’ve now got is the feet on the tv are too deep at 42.8cm as my stand is only 35cm deep👹🤔

35 cm depth is too small. A80J feet position is so much better than the A90J.

I do have a Universal swivel stand mount but sadly even after fitting at the lowest position, I still have to look up a bit instead of straight on. All this means I either can't upgrade to any TV (75 and above) with this stupid stand design and my current AV unit or have to get a new wider AV unit.

bokspeed

I have a new A90J 65inch and can see, what appears to be, two dimples / dents in the screen about halfway up, horizontal and equally apart from each other. Its visible when viewing from the side and distorts / warps the reflections. I can see these when the TV is turned off but can also highlight them on a full screen colour background where it looks like two "shadow" areas. Is this normal and possibly due to the actuators? Not sure if I should get a replacement.

If you look at the photo I attached, look for the "two shadow areas" - bit tricky to see but they are there in the pic. If other A90J users have similar then I guess this is normal!?

Attachments

• CBD383E1-6B69-4123-A71F-D6A064FE5622.jpeg
    CBD383E1-6B69-4123-A71F-D6A064FE5622.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 68
  • EF3317AD-1669-4F48-BCA9-50188DAEBBA4.jpeg
    EF3317AD-1669-4F48-BCA9-50188DAEBBA4.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Doctor Bravestone

I have a new A90J 65inch and can see, what appears to be, two dimples / dents in the screen about halfway up, horizontal and equally apart from each other. Its visible when viewing from the side and distorts / warps the reflections. I can see these when the TV is turned off but can also highlight them on a full screen colour background where it looks like two "shadow" areas. Is this normal and possibly due to the actuators? Not sure if I should get a replacement.

If you look at the photo I attached, look for the "two shadow areas" - bit tricky to see but they are there in the pic. If other A90J users have similar then I guess this is normal!?
This is normal. Can you see them head on?

Neoakira

Novice Member
Apple in hdmi 1 or 2 and set it in enhanced.
Soundbar in hdmi 3 change the input to advanced.
Ps5 into 4 and in vrr mode.

TThen in the pst change the settings for vrr to automatic.

Also keep in mind that every input (add, hdr, dolby vision and game) need to be changed to your liking. It is a bit much in the beginning but afterwards you will be fine.. Start with sdr.. Just put Netflix on and in the home page change your settings there.. Then starts a hdr movie repeat, Dolby vision repeat once more.

Good luck :)
Hi all
I took delivery of my new A90J 65" yesterday, just in the process of setting up. Going for PS5 in HDMI 4 (VRR enabled) and Fire Cube in HDMI 3 (Enhanced enabled).
Any other initial tips re picture settings etc or is there a previous post you can direct me to with some calibration settings? Thanks!

UMAR 3:16

Hi all
I took delivery of my new A90J 65" yesterday, just in the process of setting up. Going for PS5 in HDMI 4 (VRR enabled) and Fire Cube in HDMI 3 (Enhanced enabled).
Any other initial tips re picture settings etc or is there a previous post you can direct me to with some calibration settings? Thanks!
Try rtings for basic calibration. If you want to unlock custom pro settings and mess about with 20 point white balance, I have some settings im happy to share.

San5324

Hi all
I don't know je what fire cube is, but in port 3 you should only use a Soundbar / set...

Neoakira

Novice Member
Try rtings for basic calibration. If you want to unlock custom pro settings and mess about with 20 point white balance, I have some settings im happy to share.
Thanks very much, not sure how to unlock the custom pro, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks very much, not sure how to unlock the custom pro, could you point me in the right direction?
Download calman for bravia app on TV via Google store and follow this…

You can use their settings as well or I have mine which were done by a professional

Metalane

Hey again, so I have a question about motion processing that I likely shouldn’t even be worrying about.

So, when I visit threads with Plasma and CRT owners, they seem to like to bash OLED’s for having only similar PQ and worse motion. With some going even as far to say that the A90J doesn’t look that much better a 15 year old Plasma, which I find very hard to believe. But is the A90J and other premium OLED’s motion really that bad or much worse than Plasma’s? I know all the other advantages OLED provides, but I would assume a premium OLED should still beat an old Plasma by a large margin.

Neoakira

Novice Member
Hey again, so I have a question about motion processing that I likely shouldn’t even be worrying about.

So, when I visit threads with Plasma and CRT owners, they seem to like to bash OLED’s for having only similar PQ and worse motion. With some going even as far to say that the A90J doesn’t look that much better a 15 year old Plasma, which I find very hard to believe. But is the A90J and other premium OLED’s motion really that bad or much worse than Plasma’s? I know all the other advantages OLED provides, but I would assume a premium OLED should still beat an old Plasma by a large margin.
I've only just taken delivery of my new A90J 65" and watched the Champions League final yesterday evening (L'pool fan so we'll gloss over the result). The motion was excellent, better than my old X93C LCD which I've just replaced and certainly better than my old old Panny Plasma. No concerns at all.

Metalane

I've only just taken delivery of my new A90J 65" and watched the Champions League final yesterday evening (L'pool fan so we'll gloss over the result). The motion was excellent, better than my old X93C LCD which I've just replaced and certainly better than my old old Panny Plasma. No concerns at all.
That’s good to hear! Yeah, I think a lot of those plasma owners haven’t actually compared them side-by-side, and just assume that different frame processing of an OLED is automatically inferior. I get it though, people with old cars will always talk crap about modern ones, even though there’s millions of objective advantages.

So, does anyone know how to active the screen saver to come on? I know about ambient mode but I need to physically active this. On my LG after a few min, the screen saver would just kick in if a program was paused or the TV was inactive

StewBucks

So, does anyone know how to active the screen saver to come on? I know about ambient mode but I need to physically active this. On my LG after a few min, the screen saver would just kick in if a program was paused or the TV was inactive
I have picture off set to my quick settings. This turns off the screen with only a few clicks

M4rkD

LG had a 2min screensave activation setting, in Sony, default lowest number of minutes is 5, im not sure if there are 3rd party screensaver apps than can match 2min screensaver activation time.

Geesus

Distinguished Member
LG had a 2min screensave activation setting, in Sony, default lowest number of minutes is 5, im not sure if there are 3rd party screensaver apps than can match 2min screensaver activation time.
You aren’t going to do any damage in 5 minutes. If you have a device connected, you could also check its own screen saving options to see if it features a shorter duration.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN800B 8K TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Casimir Harlow
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th August 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Warner Bros Discovery set to combine Discovery+ and HBO Max
  • By Ian Collen