Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hello,

So I’m not an A90J owner, as I’m looking to get a 77” A80K come Black Friday. I was just wondering though, relative to the A80J, I’ve seen some say the 83” A90J doesn’t have as much depth to the image, and that at 83” even sitting far away the PQ is slightly downgraded because of such low PPI. So has anyone here had a 77” A80J and an 83” A90J and can add any input if they felt the A90J was downgraded in any way?

0C81D11C-B2E9-4CD5-8190-655F9F75E2C3.jpeg

The 83” A90J the image is stunning.

I have read the 90j has 52 ppi where the 80j has 59 ppi how much difference that is in reality I don't know but my 83" with 4k UHD from 8-10ft is absolutely sharp as a razor. 😍

I have read the 90j has 52 ppi where the 80j has 59 ppi how much difference that is in reality I don't know but my 83" with 4k UHD from 8-10ft is absolutely sharp as a razor. 😍
Great. I just remember before 4K came out the biggest 1080p sizes were 65" and how they looked inferior to the smaller 1080p sizes. Glad to know OLED's and 4K don't suffer from that.

Do any of you have mixed problems with lip sync? I play some Blu Rays (external) or Amazon Prime (internal app) and can rarely get the audio and video to be synchronised. I've tried changing the delay on my AVR but it's still not right. It doesn't happen with everything from the same source but I can't figure out how to improve this.

Do any of you have mixed problems with lip sync? I play some Blu Rays (external) or Amazon Prime (internal app) and can rarely get the audio and video to be synchronised. I've tried changing the delay on my AVR but it's still not right. It doesn't happen with everything from the same source but I can't figure out how to improve this.
U need to go to the TV settings and there you have the option to restart your TV (so not in your controller).

I checked it for u, it's under system.. There u see restart. This will solve your issue.

I now own a 65 A90J and I'm wondering if there are good basic color settings that are recommended? I've looked at DNice's settings along with Rtings and when they get to color settings they both suggest they will be different for each set. And I wonder if there are some basic color adjustments for the A90J that tend to refine the custom default more universally? I realize I won't get the deeper color refinements which would come with say a pro calibration, but I'm having a hard time finding a calibrator that makes it to the Oregon coast and I'd like to dial in my set as much as possible in the meantime. Thx

I now own a 65 A90J and I'm wondering if there are good basic color settings that are recommended? I've looked at DNice's settings along with Rtings and when they get to color settings they both suggest they will be different for each set. And I wonder if there are some basic color adjustments for the A90J that tend to refine the custom default more universally? I realize I won't get the deeper color refinements which would come with say a pro calibration, but I'm having a hard time finding a calibrator that makes it to the Oregon coast and I'd like to dial in my set as much as possible in the meantime. Thx
It's an oled so they make no sense. Panels are never the same + light in room is also different.

Absolutely agree. I find: Netflix usually pretty good. Digital channels through TV: BBC1HD usually fine - ITV and Channel 4 often way out. Prime video always out a little.
I have a Yamaha amp that has ‘lip sync’ control - have HDMI arc on and don’t seem to be able to get it right. Even if I did (say for Channel 4) it would be out if I turned over. Recently got rid of Sky due to the cost (and simply not enough time to watch sport) and their delay function was a godsend. The quality of the sky 4K box, with that functionality, is being sorely missed.
I also have issues streaming live sport on BT sport and Prime. My internet is giving me the advertised speed, yet with no one in the house using another device it can’t handle it and gives a broken/ jerky picture in 4K.BT say as speed is ok they can’t do anything. I feel 67mb speed is not enough to handle a 4K HDR live stream.
The TV itself picture wise onion all other areas is stunning - so no complaints there.

Absolutely agree. I find: Netflix usually pretty good. Digital channels through TV: BBC1HD usually fine - ITV and Channel 4 often way out. Prime video always out a little.
I have a Yamaha amp that has ‘lip sync’ control - have HDMI arc on and don’t seem to be able to get it right. Even if I did (say for Channel 4) it would be out if I turned over. Recently got rid of Sky due to the cost (and simply not enough time to watch sport) and their delay function was a godsend. The quality of the sky 4K box, with that functionality, is being sorely missed.
I also have issues streaming live sport on BT sport and Prime. My internet is giving me the advertised speed, yet with no one in the house using another device it can’t handle it and gives a broken/ jerky picture in 4K.BT say as speed is ok they can’t do anything. I feel 67mb speed is not enough to handle a 4K HDR live stream.
The TV itself picture wise onion all other areas is stunning - so no complaints there.
Yep, it's a mixed bag. I did some testing and resetting with an old DVD yesterday and found 200ms manual delay on my Yamaha receiver fixed the problem for that disc and some of Amazon Prime content but I suspect it will be wrong for other media, discs or streaming apps at some point.

I do switch my TV off at the wall after a night's use so that should do the same as a restart as suggested by @San5324 I'd hope.

Yep, it's a mixed bag. I did some testing and resetting with an old DVD yesterday and found 200ms manual delay on my Yamaha receiver fixed the problem for that disc and some of Amazon Prime content but I suspect it will be wrong for other media, discs or streaming apps at some point.

I do switch my TV off at the wall after a night's use so that should do the same as a restart as suggested by @San5324 I'd hope.
It doesn't and u should never unplug it

Does anyone think the 83" will price drop once the A95K releases? Or even this years black friday? Ebay will still likely be the best bet yet as some there are already sub-$3,500.

Don't know a date yet if/when the 83" OLED will be out, only 77" A85K.

Sorry I meant the 83" A90J specifically.
Sony are not replacing A90J for 2022 and no other 83inch sizes are in their product line. I think it’s as Cheap as it’s going to get. Stunning set!

Sony are not replacing A90J for 2022 and no other 83inch sizes are in their product line. I think it’s as Cheap as it’s going to get. Stunning set!
Do you think it's worth it possibly to get a refurbished one? I just hope the PQ is worth it for this price, and to last at least 5+ years.

Do you think it's worth it possibly to get a refurbished one? I just hope the PQ is worth it for this price, and to last at least 5+ years.
I believe @kbfern did just that and paid an extra £100 for the 5 year warranty.

Can't speak for anyone else but the D-Nice settings didn't work for me (too green on my panel). Regardless of what you do, you may want to keep one of the stock colour settings (e.g Expert 2) at default for use with Dolby Vision material as this set maps the Sony default white point to D65 when using Dolby Vision Dark and either Expert 1 or Expert 2.

If you have a pluge pattern, you may also want to check black level 49 in SDR material, since many of these sets including mine don't crush black at 49.

Also no harm in trying some of the white balance settings published here and elsewhere. They may not be accurate on your panel but you may find one you like and they can always be push button reset.

Finally, you may want to install the Calman for Bravia app which unlocks 2 more picture modes and 20 point white balance controls to play about with should you wish. You unlock by installing and opening the app on the TV, logging into the TV using a browser and entering the IP address and port number shown on the app.

Hi, can anyone help with sound settings over eArc? I have just got the new Samsung Q990b Soundbar and it keeps reverting back to ARc connection, i have to turn Earc on and off in the settings. Samsung say to change my audio settings. Should It be set to Auto 1 or 2? I have passthrough set to auto. Thanks

Hi, can anyone help with sound settings over eArc? I have just got the new Samsung Q990b Soundbar and it keeps reverting back to ARc connection, i have to turn Earc on and off in the settings. Samsung say to change my audio settings. Should It be set to Auto 1 or 2? I have passthrough set to auto. Thanks

I have no idea, I have its grandpa (q90r) and I don't have any issues. Plugged it in the earc port and set the settings in the TV to earc and that's it.

Can't speak for anyone else but the D-Nice settings didn't work for me (too green on my panel). Regardless of what you do, you may want to keep one of the stock colour settings (e.g Expert 2) at default for use with Dolby Vision material as this set maps the Sony default white point to D65 when using Dolby Vision Dark and either Expert 1 or Expert 2.

If you have a pluge pattern, you may also want to check black level 49 in SDR material, since many of these sets including mine don't crush black at 49.

Also no harm in trying some of the white balance settings published here and elsewhere. They may not be accurate on your panel but you may find one you like and they can always be push button reset.

Finally, you may want to install the Calman for Bravia app which unlocks 2 more picture modes and 20 point white balance controls to play about with should you wish. You unlock by installing and opening the app on the TV, logging into the TV using a browser and entering the IP address and port number shown on the app.
The Judd white point no good for Europe models. I have put a full D65 set of calibration settings up on this thread.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom