Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I thought I’d give it a go as you mentioned it earlier. Been playing with HUD on and off to check if there were any issues. Haven’t noticed any change in ABSL on my set. Looks stunning to be honest.
I did the same. No dimming at all, besides the deliberate brightness increasing and decreasing that the game uses as an artistic choice.

Edit - it is a post processing effect called eye adaptation as seen in this video.

Last edited:
Maybe you guys don’t see it:). It is definitely there after a few minutes of playing with the hud. Anyways, the game looks stunning idd.

Maybe you guys don’t see it:). It is definitely there after a few minutes of playing with the hud. Anyways, the game looks stunning idd.
Is there any chance you could film it so we know what to look for? You don’t have any of the auto picture options enabled do you?

Is there any chance you could film it so we know what to look for? You don’t have any of the auto picture options enabled do you?
I thinks it’s better to not filmt it. Otherwise you maybe will know what to “look” for. That won’t be a good thing if you know what i mean:). If you really want to see it then you can find it on youtube. There are a few channels that put it to the test compared to other brands.

I thinks it’s better to not filmt it. Otherwise you maybe will know what to “look” for. That won’t be a good thing if you know what i mean:). If you really want to see it then you can find it on youtube. There are a few channels that put it to the test compared to other brands.
Have you got a link?

Another question, my tv stand/drawer is 140cm and I’ve been told by Sony that there’s an option on the 65 inch which is the soundbar position which is 135cm will this be ok by you guys experience?

Another question, my tv stand/drawer is 140cm and I’ve been told by Sony that there’s an option on the 65 inch which is the soundbar position which is 135cm will this be ok by you guys experience?
I have mine set up the sound bar position. I imagine it’ll be fine but you’ll have about 2.2cm hanging over the edge of the unit. If you’re ok with that it should be ok.
EA1B5217-C7C8-44E7-9C1D-60B93A44081A.jpeg

I have a Sonos Arc under/in front of mine and even though the specs say it should block the screen, in reality it doesn’t, as physics dictates that if your eyes are above the mid point of the screen, you are not going to have any of the image obscured. As long as you can place it in front of the TV you will be fine.

Does anyone have a Series X attached? It seems when I play games in 4k 120hz and want Dolby Atmos sound, the sound stutters a lot. If I drop it to 60hz it works. I’ve seen some other posts with this issue but I thought it was fixed in the last update but it seems to be there whether I use tv speakers or eArc with my Sonos Arc. Just want to make sure I’m not going mad(der). Cheers

Does anyone have a Series X attached? It seems when I play games in 4k 120hz and want Dolby Atmos sound, the sound stutters a lot. If I drop it to 60hz it works. I’ve seen some other posts with this issue but I thought it was fixed in the last update but it seems to be there whether I use tv speakers or eArc with my Sonos Arc. Just want to make sure I’m not going mad(der). Cheers
Have you tried it with VRR enabled at 120Hz? I have had no issues with my Arc using VRR at 120Hz.

Have you tried it with VRR enabled at 120Hz? I have had no issues with my Arc using VRR at 120Hz.
Yes that’s with VRR enabled. It used to do it ages ago. I think they mentioned the chip had issues but Sony found a way around it but for some reason I went to play last night and it’s doing it again. It does it through the tv as well.

Yes that’s with VRR enabled. It used to do it ages ago. I think they mentioned the chip had issues but Sony found a way around it but for some reason I went to play last night and it’s doing it again. It does it through the tv as well.
Just tried it. I have a bit of stuttering on the dashboard, but by the time I am in game it seems fine - that was tested with Elden Ring at 120Hz with VRR enabled. I haven’t updated to the very latest firmware yet though.

Just tried it. I have a bit of stuttering on the dashboard, but by the time I am in game it seems fine - that was tested with Elden Ring at 120Hz with VRR enabled. I haven’t updated to the very latest firmware yet though.
Thank you for looking. Mines very similar. When you get in game it’s better but still the occasional stutter. Difficult to know if it’s Xbox or TV. But considering this issue was around before the TV feels like the issue as it’s doing it through eArc and tv speakers. When I get in game it stutters in and off for about 30 seconds then seems to calm down. Very weird.

A kind member on here @GrazzaB pointed me to a fab deal on a refurb 83" A90J at the Sony centre @ £3399 so got on there quick and ordered it. I managed to get a full 5yr warranty for just an extra £100 too which was to good to pass on.

So I shall be joining the club when it comes next week. I am quite chuffed as I was originally going for the 77" A80J but those seem to be sticking at around £2700-2800 atm so it was a no brainer getting the bigger better set for just a few hundred more :D
Bargain!

Here it is in all it's glory my new refurb 83" A90J and it's a monster and I love it 😍 only had it on for an hour or so but it looks very very good out the box. Can't see any issues and have watched some Netlix/Prime and a bit of broadcast daytime tv so far.

The broadcast tv on this set from 7ft is a tad soft as you would expect from 1080 signal but at 10ft is perfectly good. 4k streamed from NeflixPrime from 7ft is much better and over the weekend will watch some 4k bluray to see how good that looks but am expecting to be stunned.

No banding or tinting that have noticed in dark or bright scenes so far at any rate so even though a refurb looks evry bit as good as a fresh brand new out the box.:thumbsup:

Here is a comparison on size between my 65" Panny OLED and the new 83" A90J.

Attachments

• Panny tv on stand.png
    Panny tv on stand.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 113
  • a90j pic 1.jpg
    a90j pic 1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 112
Didn't read your post at first and looked at the first photo, thought it looked small for 83" haha!

Bye the way just looking to see if any of the Sony OLED owners tv had a thin protective removable film over it or not. I think most screens tend to have this my Panny 65" OLED had one and when Phil Hinton does his tv reviews/unboxing there is usually a peel off film on the screen. I have looked and think there may be one although they usually have a bit of extra where you can start to peel it off and can't see anything obvious.

Bye the way just looking to see if any of the Sony OLED owners tv had a thin protective removable film over it or not. I think most screens tend to have this my Panny 65" OLED had one and when Phil Hinton does his tv reviews/unboxing there is usually a peel off film on the screen. I have looked and think there may be one although they usually have a bit of extra where you can start to peel it off and can't see anything obvious.
No my 77A80J didn’t ,and sure my 77AG9 didn’t either

Thanks Wez

I just did a google search and it appears that Sony don't put a film on. The screen looked clean till I shone a bright light on it then it looked like fingerprint city😮No worries though, the wife just gave it a wipe with one of those micropore cloths and all the fingerprints etc have vanished and the screen is now clean.

Thanks Wez

I just did a google search and it appears that Sony don't put a film on. The screen looked clean till I shone a bright light on it then it looked like fingerprint city😮No worries though, the wife just gave it a wipe with one of those micropore cloths and all the fingerprints etc have vanished and the screen is now clean.
How’s the set looking ,are you impressed ?

See a few comments I made earlier up the thread a few posts. They are only initial thoughts as I only watched for an hour or so. However as I said I am very pleased with the set. Everything was good in the box and looked almost if not like new.

The setup was a bit long winded though and decided to go with the simple setup rather than the Google tv setup. The menu system is very different from what I had with the Panny so will have to work through that over the next few weeks making changes here and there. For now though shall be watching loads of stuff over the weekend,Films footy drama's and I guess even some boring stuff on regular tv.

It is big though and only real slight concern is regular 1080 tv on some channel content is a bit soft at this size when sitting at about 6-7ft from the screen, 4k streamed is very good and when I get round to 4k or 1080p blurays this is where I am expecting the set to really WOW me.

From teh other sofa at around 10/11ft even 1080 broadcast tv looks very good and anything higher deff really is ace.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom