Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hi all, apologies if I’m hijacking mid conversation, I’m a new Sony A90j owner (picked up on Sunday).

So far I’ve only gone through the usual setup and signed into a million accounts to get the thing running. So far so good.

I’ve updated the firmware to pick up the catchup/youview apps. One thing I’ve noticed is that All4 seems to be playing programmes with Audio Description. I’ve tried to turn this off, but there are no options within All4. All options within the TV menus - Talk Back etc.., are off. (There website actually says AD is not supported via YouView, strange)

Any one else experiencing this. Know how to switch it off, it is definitely just limited to the All4 app, happening when watching The Goldberg’s. Never had this before with All4 running through Roku/Xbox before. Is it a Google issue?

Thanks in advance I’d you can help.
I have this issue too (posted a page or two back about it). So far I’ve done a complete factory reset on my TV, recreated my All4 account to remove any database obscurities and it’s still doing it. I haven’t found a way to turn the AD off on the tv app, so resorted to binging Friday Night Dinner on my ATV box…

No they are using the same chip in which the eARC port is one of the 48 Gb/s ports. Only difference from last year is on the Z9K, one of the other 2 HDMI ports is supposed to be 40 GB/s (so 2X @ 48/s and 1X @ 40 GB/s and the eARC port is still on of the 48 GB/s)
Ah okay, thanks.

And I'm right in saying that we can keep those films for life yeah. Through Bravia Core. ?
There's a subscription end date of 2023.

To find out when you need to use your tokens and sub end date.

Go into settings..Will show token redemption date and sub expiry date imunder the impression it will expire then maybe Sony will launch a proper streaming service

Something’s pulling me to get the A95K. I am an owner of the A90J (Got it the second it came out from Value Electronics) QD-OLED seems to have that pop in color I’ve been looking for an OLED. I have no idea how much it could cost but hopefully tax season is good. I was initially going to go for the LG G2 but seems like LG’s version of the A90J. What you guy’s estimation of the US price and the UK price? Is the A95K worth it you? I can’t imagine playing Horizon Forbidden West on it lol!

I’m not even considering it till it is out in the world and doesn’t just exist via sponsored events. The brightness difference is negligible and the only thing that interests me is how colour reproduction is improved, but seeing that most people don’t even have their TVs calibrated, I’m not convinced that is an essential upgrade either. It certainly won’t be worth upgrading from an A90J IMO, considering how expensive it will be.

I have this issue too (posted a page or two back about it). So far I’ve done a complete factory reset on my TV, recreated my All4 account to remove any database obscurities and it’s still doing it. I haven’t found a way to turn the AD off on the tv app, so resorted to binging Friday Night Dinner on my ATV box…
Thanks for replying. What you have done was my next resort (well clearing cache/data within the App settings). It’s both encouraging/yet annoying that I’m not alone, as it points to a software issue rather than missed settings. I’m guessing this must be based around the mobile app, but we are lacking the option that exists in the mobile app to click the AD button to disable.

-—-—-—-—-—-—
With respect the credit in Bravia Core:

If you go into settings and check subscription, you only can view those movies for 2 years, and then your subscription expires.

Go into settings..Will show token redemption date and sub expiry date imunder the impression it will expire then maybe Sony will launch a proper streaming service

Within the app there is an information/FAQ. This will answer a lot of your questions.

The Credits have to used within a year of when you redeem/register. Then you have until February 2026 to watch your content you have purchased with a credit.

The unlimited streaming is separate, as A90J owner you are granted 2years of streaming from date of register of your account. So for me, that’s until 09/01/2024, as I registered with Bonus and Bravia Core the same day I setup the TV.

There is currently no way to purchase additional credits from what I have read within their own literature. Hope this helps.

The QDOleds that have been shown have been in vivid mode. I guarantee in a custom mode I doubt it will be much brighter if anything however the bonus will likely be the colour pop. Now my A90J pops...overall I think possible a bit brighter, colour a bit better and shadow detail a bit better. But that's not enough to make me even consider a change. Plus the price will be alot higher for the QD oleds and its first gen. No I will continue to enjoy my A90J and in 5 years I will see were microLED is and see if they have managed a solution to bring the price and tech back to earthly prices.

I haven't used any of mine and just checked my dates. Seems like I lose credit and subscription in April this year (A80J). Not too long to see what happens then. Also better use them on something. :)

Last edited:
'Green Planet' on the A90J's BBC iPlayer app is shizzle hot.... 🔥

I still don't have venom or Ghostbusters.. So annoying.
I believe you have to exit from the EU as a member state in order to get them. :D

Gents quick question to those of you out there who have wall mounted their A90j (65) using either the Sony wall mount or another make in follow up to my initial query. Have you been able to position both wall power socket and hdmi brush plates behind the bottom of the tv and achieved a close to wall fit or have you had to locate them near the top of the screen ie the thinner part/screen only to achieve this? From what I’ve concluded looking at measurements they need to be fitted towards the top to keep them hidden from view.
Thanks in advance

Good evening all.

I managed to drop and destroy my Blu-ray player and I’m looking to replace it. I’m asking hear because I’m speculating and hoping that other A90J owners will understand me when I say I want the very best I can get but will be wanting the Sony to do all the heavy lifting re upscaling etc. So a lot of the features on some of the top-end Panny’s and Sony’s etc might not be needed. I’m using my A90J through and Ambeo and BK sub.

I know I could ask in the more relevant forum but thought asking hear first will get me some more helpful advice from others who know what the A90J is capable of.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Jeff

Good evening all.

I managed to drop and destroy my Blu-ray player and I’m looking to replace it. I’m asking hear because I’m speculating and hoping that other A90J owners will understand me when I say I want the very best I can get but will be wanting the Sony to do all the heavy lifting re upscaling etc. So a lot of the features on some of the top-end Panny’s and Sony’s etc might not be needed. I’m using my A90J through and Ambeo and BK sub.

I know I could ask in the more relevant forum but thought asking hear first will get me some more helpful advice from others who know what the A90J is capable of.

Jeff
Can't go wrong with the Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR Player. It's one of the most popular and favoured on these forums and from my own personal experience is an excellent unit from what I have played through it to my A90J

Something’s pulling me to get the A95K. I am an owner of the A90J (Got it the second it came out from Value Electronics) QD-OLED seems to have that pop in color I’ve been looking for an OLED. I have no idea how much it could cost but hopefully tax season is good. I was initially going to go for the LG G2 but seems like LG’s version of the A90J. What you guy’s estimation of the US price and the UK price? Is the A95K worth it you? I can’t imagine playing Horizon Forbidden West on it lol!
I do think it will look better in bright scenes. The problem with WRGB OLEDs, is the colors get washed out in bright scenes due to the white pixel. Even Vincent noticed that when all set to vivid mode. The QD-OLED image had deeper and brighter color that WRGB OLED's are incapable in the bright scenes. I would imagine QD-OLED will be more impactful with HDR material. Not so much with SDR material, because they can all do rec709 without issue.

Hi thanks for reply. I don’t have the worry of stud walls - it’s a solid wall I’ll be fixing the bracket too so no constraints/issues.
It will be a Sanus VLL5 bracket I’ll be using to accommodate the vesa 300x300 requirement from what I have retrieved from the product spec sheet. A good photo of the rear of a A65j would help to understand if the wider section containing the electrics starts at the bottom of the screen or x inches up and some measurement will be fine, as an idea re location. Edit a Sony drawing of the rear will suffice if someone has one with some measurements on
Thanks again
I recently mounted my A90J 65” on the wall and used the following diagram.
It’s mounted onto the wall - not ‘inset’
It would be very tight to fit a plug and socket within the bottom half of the tv I went towards the top where there is only the screen width to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Excuse the dust - missus will kill me if she knows I upload that to ‘the internet’ :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 107
I recently mounted my A90J 65” on the wall and used the following diagram.
It’s mounted onto the wall - not ‘inset’
It would be very tight to fit a plug and socket within the bottom half of the tv I went towards the top where there is only the screen width to deal with.

Hope this helps.

Excuse the dust - missus will kill me if she knows I upload that to ‘the internet’ :)
Tweetster thanks very much has helped with my thoughts that the power socket needs to be located top half of tv. Would have been easier if I had the tv here but waiting till I complete the room and all the dust that will be generated…….namely channelling out the wall for sockets
Ps your uploaded picture to the internet shall remain between you, me and all other forum members reading this post 😉

I do think it will look better in bright scenes. The problem with WRGB OLEDs, is the colors get washed out in bright scenes due to the white pixel. Even Vincent noticed that when all set to vivid mode. The QD-OLED image had deeper and brighter color that WRGB OLED's are incapable in the bright scenes. I would imagine QD-OLED will be more impactful with HDR material. Not so much with SDR material, because they can all do rec709 without issue.
I agree with that, especially as if you get a calibration done, you aren’t going much above 120 nits anyway for SDR material in a dark room. Colours will certainly look better, and at maximum brightness especially, but the overall brightness level in vivid mode is likely to measure within the same kind of boundaries I’m guessing.

I remember when the A90J was marketed as being able to hit 1300 nits. When it arrived, eh, not so much.

Good evening all.

Jeff
Another fan of the Panasonic UB820, easy to set up, not used the internal apps, just as a 4K player which it does incredibly well. Bought the remote from the UB-900 though as it does a better job(lights up!)

Another fan of the Panasonic UB820, easy to set up, not used the internal apps, just as a 4K player which it does incredibly well. Bought the remote from the UB-900 though as it does a better job(lights up!)
Does the a90j remote work to control the panasonic 820, i can use my Sony remote to navigate the fire tv, it's really helpful as less remotes needed.

Is it possible to change the wide mode/display area of the A90j? This option is always greyed out when using Apple TV 4K and internal apps… ok works on cable tv?

Is it possible to change the wide mode/display area of the A90j? This option is always greyed out when using Apple TV 4K and internal apps… ok works on cable tv?
Yeah I’ve noticed when the resolution is 2160p you can’t change aspect ratio, you can change when the resolution is 1080p.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom