Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

This show looks like crap on my 83 a90j. It’s prime, not your tv. Don’t worry. Probably with others the stream quality is better.
Did some Googling a few complaints about the series. Amazing this kind of thing gets through to the final show. I’m not going to lie my heart sank a little when I first noticed it. It’s the only HDR video I’ve watched apart from 5 minutes of Life on Bravia Core. Hopefully get some proper 4K Blu-rays on over the weekend.

Did some Googling a few complaints about the series. Amazing this kind of thing gets through to the final show. I’m not going to lie my heart sank a little when I first noticed it. It’s the only HDR video I’ve watched apart from 5 minutes of Life on Bravia Core. Hopefully get some proper 4K Blu-rays on over the weekend.
Don't be put off by some of the god awful sub-standard content being thrown at us by today's mainstream streaming providers Stew. Believe me, there is a lot of bad and good stuff out there.

You won't however get better than HDR/DV content thrown at your A90J from a decent 4K Blu-Ray player. It's phenomenal.

Not long ago I watched the 4K/HDR disc of The Shawshank Redemption through my UB820. Not being funny mate, it was like a whole new film and some of the detail was just beyond belief.

I'm still learning my 83A90J, so more experienced users will come along shortly.

I am using the "Keep It Classy Tech" Guide, so for your use case have the AVR going into the TV HDMI 3 and make the following changes. On HDMI 3 TV use these settings:

Picture Mode: Custom
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0 for Day Time, -2 for Night Time
Black Level: 50
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Peak Luminance: High
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual, 20
Smooth Gradation: Low (off when you game)
Motionflow: Custom, Smoothness Min, Clearness 0 or 1 (latter is black frame insertion - experiment)
Cinemotion: Low for Broadcast and UHD Bluray, High for Netflix/Amazon Prime
Advanced Color Temperature Basic (this is important!)
  • R-Gain = -3
  • G-Gain = Max
  • B-Gain = -6

Feed the same HDMI an HDR signal of some sort and then ensure Gradation Preferred is selected.

Try that. The latter colour changes are applicable to SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision.
Thanks, so are you saying I should change Cinemotion between Low and High for different sources? I use Sky for TV and Apple TV for Netflix and other streaming, plus accessing my 4K library through Plex

i have just done the basic setup on my new 65 inch and omg what a difference in picture quality over my 2015 led sony
cant wait to put a film on later but have to go out and do some family stuff first

yep i did notice the sharpening though

More than sharpening it has DNR throughout. These are far from being the definitive versions. I really hate when filmmakers do this. King King 2005 from PJ was an abomination.

So I've applied some calibration. I have to say, some 4k HDR content from my media server looks unbelievable, Things like Black Widow and other Marvel stuff, just put on to see how they look. It's true that the A90 produces an authentic and realistic image. The problem is that I'm not sure if that's my preference yet, maybe I prefer the perhaps more punchy image produced by other TVs?

Also, I have to say my LG B7 which is in the brightly lit kitchen is noticeably brighter in all content than the Sony looks. I'm not sure why that is

Hello,

Just got my 83" A90J
I noticed these on the lower left. Looks like air bubbles one get when applying screen protector to iPhones. When the set is on, they fill in with color(s).

Are these bubbles spots a long-term concern?

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

Hello,

Just got my 83" A90J
I noticed these on the lower left. Looks like air bubbles one get when applying screen protector to iPhones. When the set is on, they fill in with color(s).

Are these bubbles spots a long-term concern?

View attachment 1613234

View attachment 1613235
sure theres nothing to peel off? like a screen protector i cant remember when i opened mine ?

So I've applied some calibration. I have to say, some 4k HDR content from my media server looks unbelievable, Things like Black Widow and other Marvel stuff, just put on to see how they look. It's true that the A90 produces an authentic and realistic image. The problem is that I'm not sure if that's my preference yet, maybe I prefer the perhaps more punchy image produced by other TVs?

Also, I have to say my LG B7 which is in the brightly lit kitchen is noticeably brighter in all content than the Sony looks. I'm not sure why that is
Well this is probably due to Colour Accuracy (the settings I posted) vs Your Preference.

You could switch HDR Gradation Preferred to Brightness Preferred to get a bit more light.

You should live with the settings for awhile and then make your changes. You may have been watching an overbright, colour saturated image for a long time before and will take some time to adjust.

Remember..... It's YOUR TV you watch it how you want (just please don't use Vivid :laugh: )

Well this is probably due to Colour Accuracy (the settings I posted) vs Your Preference.

You could switch HDR Gradation Preferred to Brightness Preferred to get a bit more light.

You should live with the settings for awhile and then make your changes. You may have been watching an overbright, colour saturated image for a long time before and will take some time to adjust.

Remember..... It's YOUR TV you watch it how you want (just please don't use Vivid :laugh: )
Yes true, I mean the tv it's replaced is a 5 year old KS7000 LED so although I thought this would be brighter, it's definitely not, not that that's a bad thing, just an observation. But the B7 is calibrated with recommended settings too and that certainly looks bright. I'll have a play around. I did adjust the colour slightly from your settings as I found the -6 blue gain made it feel a bit washed out, but I'll try some more adjustments

Is it true recent Sony OLED tvs 2019-2021 have more aggressive ABL (picture fades in bright scenes)?

I read some people say its annoying so went to LGs OLEDs where its not as aggressive.
My 2020 A8 dims aggressively during HDR football.

It was a genuine question btw not any crowbarring attempt, Its been mentioned quite a few times about over aggressive ABL. Not like LG 2020/1 are perfect either they have lots of issues during horror tv series like the haunting of manor due to ABL issues.
Whoever mentioned it was speaking nonsense and you have reiterated it then. These sets are designed and equipped with a heat sink for a reason. It allows them to maintain brighter images with less dimming as it dissipates the heat, which is why it dims less than any LG.

That is the brightest LG. End of discussion.

Is it genuine? If you want an LG then get one and post on the LG forum. I have an A90J and not interested in LG. If I was I'd pop over to the LG forum.

Of course it was genuine, I plan on going Sony OLED next year but reviews and specs first as always.
I don't really mind which brand, any OLED is better then LED TVs under 42" range.

It would be tricky to ask LG owners on an LG thread if Sony's ABL is improved or overly aggressive.

But I understand, where you guys are coming on, post a negative comment about Sony on an Sony thread and suddenly its war which is not my intension, the LG vs Sony debate will always go on, I came to the conclusion a long time ago no such thing as a perfect TV.

Whoever mentioned it was speaking nonsense and you have reiterated it then. These sets are designed and equipped with a heat sink for a reason. It allows them to maintain brighter images with less dimming as it dissipates the heat, which is why it dims less than any LG.

That is the brightest LG. End of discussion.

Ok that's cool, only asking since Rtings updated their A80j review last week and mentioned how they noticed aggressive ABL compared to the A90j.

My 2020 A8 dims aggressively during HDR football.

Thanks, that was my exact concern during sports viewing since I watch boxing and MMA, its exactly what Rtings mentioned with the A80j review it could cause issues during sports. How bad though I do not know.

Hopefully with 2022+ oleds sonys its not an issue, but how bad was it anyhow? did it dim the entire screen or partially and did it last long ?

Ok that's cool, only asking since Rtings updated their A80j review last week and mentioned how they noticed aggressive ABL compared to the A90j.

So you’ve asked about the dimming of the A80J in the A90J thread then?

Brilliant.

Of course it was genuine, I plan on going Sony OLED next year but reviews and specs first as always.
I don't really mind which brand, any OLED is better then LED TVs under 42" range.

It would be tricky to ask LG owners on an LG thread if Sony's ABL is improved or overly aggressive.

But I understand, where you guys are coming on, post a negative comment about Sony on an Sony thread and suddenly its war which is not my intension, the LG vs Sony debate will always go on, I came to the conclusion a long time ago no such thing as a perfect TV.

There is no perfect TV yeah. It has nothing to do with a negative comment.. This place is actually for owners of the TV.. And yeah I know I can sometimes respond in a very sarcastic way but trust me there were many people before you who posted comments about how lg is better and Bla Bla Bla.. It gets kinda tired after some time.

There is no perfect TV yeah. It has nothing to do with a negative comment.. This place is actually for owners of the TV.. And yeah I know I can sometimes respond in a very sarcastic way but trust me there were many people before you who posted comments about how lg is better and Bla Bla Bla.. It gets kinda tired after some time.
What better place to ask about LG TVs and the A80J than the A90J owners thread though. The guy is either on a wind up or is dimmer than the G1.

sure theres nothing to peel off? like a screen protector i cant remember when i opened mine ?
Pardon. Is there a screen protector on the surface on every 83” A90J? I really cannot tell. There are no remove me tabs on the 4 corners. The only sticker on the OLED was the energy tag bottom right.

There was a large plastic bag that was sealed at the bottom when I unboxed covering the entire set behind a hard cardboard.

Set was “made in Mexico”

So you’ve asked about the dimming of the A80J in the A90J thread then?

Brilliant.

What better place to ask about LG TVs and the A80J than the A90J owners thread though. The guy is either on a wind up or is dimmer than the G1.

Well yeah, I was attempting to work out if the ABLs better or not so I needed to draw up a comparison from older sony OLED sets to the latest 2021 OLEDs or A90j.

It would be pretty hilarious though if I did ask A80j owners if the A90j ABL is better, id probably not make it out alive from there.

I’ve got the picture looking pretty good now but can anyone explain this banding when watching sky sports f1

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom