Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I know was worried for a minute, but once opened everything looked fine inside.
How is it? Mine's arriving today but probably can't set it up until tomorrow šŸ˜­

How is it? Mine's arriving today but probably can't set it up until tomorrow šŸ˜­
Not really had the time to test it. I had the football on Amazon prime, then watched the first episode of wheel of time. Coming from a much smaller 42ā€ plasma the football probably looked blurrier in the zoomed out pitch view, but thatā€™s more likely just the size difference. Close ups on players looked great, had a slight 3D depth and the colours and brightness were a lot more than Iā€™m used to. The whites looked possibly too bright when zoomed out causing a little Artefact effect, but I need to look more into the settings. Overall given the fact Amazon football streams arenā€™t the best it looked good.

The Wheel of time on the other hand looked beautiful. Again scenes had a nice 3D depth and the detail was amazing. Brightness from one of the fires looked like I had an open fire in my room. Looking forward to watching some films tomorrow and at the weekend and hooking up the PS5. First impression are Iā€™m happy I have a feeling this tv has more to offer.

I'd read that the panny JZ2000 have introduced a firmware update with VRR 120 hz using the mediatek chip with no other supporting processor and resolved the half resolution issue so your getting full 4k 120 htz. And workd perfectly This is good news for us So we just need that update.
Panasonic have competent technicians and engineers. Sony donā€™t apparently.

Hi, I am getting a 83 and I can't find the dimensions of the mounting holes for wall mounted thanks

Is it true recent Sony OLED tvs 2019-2021 have more aggressive ABL (picture fades in bright scenes)?

I read some people say its annoying so went to LGs OLEDs where its not as aggressive.

I bought a load of films to watch in 4k in black Friday deals..harry potter collection. John wick collection..Shang Chi and Suiside Squad..gunna take a while to get through this lot.

Anyone watching Wheel of Time on Amazon? Just watched the 2nd episode and notice weird green highlights flashing mainly on faces. Hoping this is the video rather than my tv.

Is it true recent Sony OLED tvs 2019-2021 have more aggressive ABL (picture fades in bright scenes)?

I read some people say its annoying so went to LGs OLEDs where its not as aggressive.

Complete and utter nonsense. The A90J has less ABL than any LG OLED, but congrats again for crowbarring LG into this Sony thread.

Anyone have similar marks along the bottom of thier tv?

Zia

Anyone watching Wheel of Time on Amazon? Just watched the 2nd episode and notice weird green highlights flashing mainly on faces. Hoping this is the video rather than my tv.
This show looks like crap on my 83 a90j. Itā€™s prime, not your tv. Donā€™t worry. Probably with others the stream quality is better.

This show looks like crap on my 83 a90j. Itā€™s prime, not your tv. Donā€™t worry. Probably with others the stream quality is better.

This. Remember fellas. Prime and HD bit streams are usually bit starved and they will look bad on bigger screens. Also not every content is made to pop.

I bought a load of films to watch in 4k in black Friday deals..harry potter collection. John wick collection..Shang Chi and Suiside Squad..gunna take a while to get through this lot.

You should watch the hobbit + lord of the rings in 4k.. They are by far my favorite movies, atmos mix is also insane.

You should watch the hobbit + lord of the rings in 4k.. They are by far my favorite movies, atmos mix is also insane.
Yeah got both of those the quality was ridiculous on the A90J best TV of 2021

Complete and utter nonsense. The A90J has less ABL than any LG OLED, but congrats again for crowbarring LG into this Sony thread.

I will just ignore this kind of people, I suggest you do the same bro.

It was a genuine question btw not any crowbarring attempt, Its been mentioned quite a few times about over aggressive ABL. Not like LG 2020/1 are perfect either they have lots of issues during horror tv series like the haunting of manor due to ABL issues.

Yeah got both of those the quality was ridiculous on the A90J best TV of 2021

And sadly both are DNRed and sharpened here and there to get that digital look !!

So TV is mounted and looks good but I haven't had a chance to play with it properly. I want to calibrate it using some recommended settings, but I don't use different inputs on the TV, everything is switched via the AVR in the AV Rack on the other side of the house. I want to just configure the settings on one input and I don't really want to have to be switching modes etc for different content if I can avoid it. What are the best settings to use for this use case?

Thanks

It was a genuine question btw not any crowbarring attempt, Its been mentioned quite a few times about over aggressive ABL. Not like LG 2020/1 are perfect either they have lots of issues during horror tv series like the haunting of manor due to ABL issues.
Is it genuine? If you want an LG then get one and post on the LG forum. I have an A90J and not interested in LG. If I was I'd pop over to the LG forum.

So TV is mounted and looks good but I haven't had a chance to play with it properly. I want to calibrate it using some recommended settings, but I don't use different inputs on the TV, everything is switched via the AVR in the AV Rack on the other side of the house. I want to just configure the settings on one input and I don't really want to have to be switching modes etc for different content if I can avoid it. What are the best settings to use for this use case?

Thanks
I'm still learning my 83A90J, so more experienced users will come along shortly.

I am using the "Keep It Classy Tech" Guide, so for your use case have the AVR going into the TV HDMI 3 and make the following changes. On HDMI 3 TV use these settings:

Picture Mode: Custom
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 95
Gamma: 0 for Day Time, -2 for Night Time
Black Level: 50
Contrast Enhancer: Off
Peak Luminance: High
Sharpness: 50
Reality Creation: Manual, 20
Smooth Gradation: Low (off when you game)
Motionflow: Custom, Smoothness Min, Clearness 0 or 1 (latter is black frame insertion - experiment)
Cinemotion: Low for Broadcast and UHD Bluray, High for Netflix/Amazon Prime
Advanced Color Temperature Basic (this is important!)
  • R-Gain = -3
  • G-Gain = Max
  • B-Gain = -6

Feed the same HDMI an HDR signal of some sort and then ensure Gradation Preferred is selected.

Try that. The latter colour changes are applicable to SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom