Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Only used 2 credits so far,one was bad boys for life:suicide::thumbsdow,the other was Lawrence of Arabia which I bought before on Blu-ray to watch on my Zt65, but never got round to watching.

As for the pic quality, I could never be happier with this A90J. Performs excellently on sports and 4k content is just stunning. No major tint or other uniformity issues. No near black flashing like I had with the Af9.

I do prefer the A90J to the GZ2000 I had ,and that was an amazing set as well but there really isn't all that much difference.

Will see next year what sony come up with if they are doing Qd Oled, but have no real urge to upgrade and would have to be an upgrade in size as well.
I’m impressed by what Panasonic have achieved with the firmware updates on their latest flagship OLED. It is making me wonder if I should have picked Team Panny instead of Team Sony given how lacklustre their updates have been.

Sorry for the stupid question.

Does eARC requires CEC to be turned on? ARC did, but in the eARC instruction there is no mention of CEC.

Would anyone with a 55 be kind enough to provide the distance from the bottom of the TV to the bottom and top vesa holes please?

I got mine from the Sony outlet website refurb for 2520 with a 5 year warranty through Sony. It was brand new. Open box. Stock gets updated Thursday morning. Give them a call and they will do a deal on the warranty.

Only used 2 credits so far,one was bad boys for life:suicide::thumbsdow,the other was Lawrence of Arabia which I bought before on Blu-ray to watch on my Zt65, but never got round to watching.

As for the pic quality, I could never be happier with this A90J. Performs excellently on sports and 4k content is just stunning. No major tint or other uniformity issues. No near black flashing like I had with the Af9.

I do prefer the A90J to the GZ2000 I had ,and that was an amazing set as well but there really isn't all that much difference.

Will see next year what sony come up with if they are doing Qd Oled, but have no real urge to upgrade and would have to be an upgrade in size as well.
Have you found any bright grid?,

Have you found any bright grid?,
Only on a couple youtube vids which someone posted on here to see if it showed. Was on a little part of the screen and only when in vivid mode:eek::eek::eek:, which I only turned on to look for the issue. Otherwise its always in calibrated settings.

Not seen it in other content in correct calibrated settings on the usual tests like our planet, summertime,firebreather etc. So I'm very happy with this A90J although the new shiny shiny oleds or Qd oleds may turn my head.

But will probably wait a year as may get great deals on BF as some sets are at an absolute bargain price ,like the 83 c1 for 4k and the 77" c1 for 800 cheaper than what the 65" A90J was at launch :eek:

Only on a couple youtube vids which someone posted on here to see if it showed. Was on a little part of the screen and only when in vivid mode:eek::eek::eek:, which I only turned on to look for the issue. Otherwise its always in calibrated settings.

Not seen it in other content in correct calibrated settings on the usual tests like our planet, summertime,firebreather etc. So I'm very happy with this A90J although the new shiny shiny oleds or Qd oleds may turn my head.

But will probably wait a year as may get great deals on BF as some sets are at an absolute bargain price ,like the 83 c1 for 4k and the 77" c1 for 800 cheaper than what the 65" A90J was at launch :eek:
The 77"A80J deal yesterday at Costco for £2399 had to be deal of the year so far

Heard the A90J has more colour volume on specular highlights due to lesser degree of white subpixel dilution.

I have taken a different approach this time by going for the Sony 75ZH8 alongside my 65ZD9 after getting used to the sheer amount of brightness and details I am seeing on bright scenes and dark scenes with highlights exceeding 1000 nits.

Was tempted to try the 75Z9J but its double the cost. In a nutshell I bought nits. :)

For instance, if you have sun shining through reflective surfaces or objects, you will see them in full glory on the ZD9 but just a glimpse of it on the GZ OLED. Under 1000 nits, I think OLED is the king.

This mean anything for the apps appearing on the TVs?

Nah.. The PS5 doesn't run GoogleTV as its platform.

It's a BBC/YouView & GoogleTV issue with our TV's mate. Out of Sony's hands, I believe. Although it was their choice to adopt GoogleTV as their dashboard.

Waited ages for the A90J 65 inch to reduce in price and finally went down on Friday. Replacing my 40 inch samsung LCD tv from 11 years ago looking forward to receiving it this Thursday and getting it set up. just wondering what would be the first things to do to get the most out of it.

Waited ages for the A90J 65 inch to reduce in price and finally went down on Friday. Replacing my 40 inch samsung LCD tv from 11 years ago looking forward to receiving it this Thursday and getting it set up. just wondering what would be the first things to do to get the most out of it.
Calibration

Rubbish then isn't it
The PS5 has been out in the UK market for well over a year now and they've only just got BBCiPlayer on it... That gives you an indication of the absolute minimum time it takes to get their app approved on a specific device and its OS.

Hopefully, GoogleTV is next on their list.

The other issue is that not all iPlayer apps are equal. Some devices and OS's have an appalling build capable only of displaying 720p max, while others will get the nice 4K/UHD/HLG approved one.

Which one will we eventually get ? Let the lottery begin...

So how is everyone’s uniformity looking on these sets including 100% white ?

The PS5 has been out in the UK market for well over a year now and they've only just got BBCiPlayer on it... That gives you an indication of the absolute minimum time it takes to get their app approved on a specific device and its OS.

Hopefully, GoogleTV is next on their list.

The other issue is that not all iPlayer apps are equal. Some devices and OS's have an appalling build capable only of displaying 720p max, while others will get the nice 4K/UHD/HLG approved one.

Which one will we eventually get ? Let the lottery begin...
The AF9 one is 4K/UHD/HLG/HDR so there is a chance. It is Sony though so it is anyone’s guess.

Nah.. The PS5 doesn't run GoogleTV as its platform.

It's a BBC/YouView & GoogleTV issue with our TV's mate. Out of Sony's hands, I believe. Although it was their choice to adopt GoogleTV as their dashboard.

What's odd about all this though mate is that BBC ITV and 5 are on the google TV Chromecast so I am not entirely sure its the platform which is the problem

IMG_0826.JPG

My 83" A90J arrived yesterday. Just barely into the elevator. I guess I could have pushed it in without the rollers.
Took some planning lifting it onto a rather high entertainment stand, but up and running now.

The HDR is glorious. Not as bright and blinding as my iPhone 12 Pro Max or Samsung S21 Ultra, but those are tiny devices and have not the impact of 83".

Since my last set was 64", I have to get used to lifting my head up to view most of the 83" screen.

1 early issue.
I get very low volume when paired with Apple Airpod Pro via Bluetooth.

Any Apple TV 4K users?
Any video improvement from the 2021 Apple TV 4K over the 2017 version? Thinking of adding it for my A90J.
Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom