Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

That's interesting as really the only thing putting me off the Sony is the near black raise and the overall brightness, just when compared to the G1, but what I'm trying to not forget is that there is a difference between minutely different in real world scenarios and actually a problem, and I very much doubt the Sony is actually a "problem" as such

I’ve had complaints about Sony in previous years because of near black flashing but this year they are really good with near blacks imo. Haven't really noticed raised blacks, any flashing etc.

well, it's a lot of money but it's also just at the level that I would pay it if it was the right thing. There is one big selling point for the Sony and that is external CI Control via IP that it offers which is important for me, but I'd just like some opinions. Some people must have done the comparison and gone one way or another
I own a CX and two Sony OLEDs and the A90J is easily the best of the three for all uses. I game a lot and I prefer the picture processing of both Sonys over my LG. There is less banding on the A90J than the LG in all scenarios - a good example I noticed semi recently, was the loading screen of The Last of Us 2 which looks terribly ‘bandy’ on the CX but is massively cleaned up on both Sony TVs.

The only proviso I would put forward is VRR isn’t on the A90J yet, but it is due next month, and that assumes it is an important feature to you. That said, VRR still isn’t perfect on the LG range either. I notice flickering on my CX in certain titles. Also If you have an eARC audio system, then you only really get one usable HDMI 2.1 port on the A90J. Also Dolby Vision gaming is an issue on the Sony, as there is no gaming mode for that picture option, so controls are laggy.

If you want the ultimate picture quality, then it is the Sony for me every time. That said, the Panasonic range is also worth considering and is the only range I would consider alongside Sony right now. Their firmware updates lately have been excellent.

I own a CX and two Sony OLEDs and the A90J is easily the best of the three for all uses. I game a lot and I prefer the picture processing of both Sonys over my LG. There is less banding on the A90J than the LG in all scenarios - a good example I noticed semi recently, was the loading screen of The Last of Us 2 which looks terribly ‘bandy’ on the CX but is massively cleaned up on both Sony TVs.

The only proviso I would put forward is VRR isn’t on the A90J yet, but it is due next month, and that assumes it is an important feature to you. That said, VRR still isn’t perfect on the LG range either. I notice flickering on my CX in certain titles. Also If you have an eARC audio system, then you only really get one usable HDMI 2.1 port on the A90J. Also Dolby Vision gaming is an issue on the Sony, as there is no gaming mode for that picture option, so controls are laggy.

If you want the ultimate picture quality, then it is the Sony for me every time. That said, the Panasonic range is also worth considering and is the only range I would consider alongside Sony right now. Their firmware updates lately have been excellent.
Thank you. I went to see these sets today, handily the a90 and the G1 were next to each other. Both showing their respective demos which are never truly representative. It was immediately obvious that the G1 had much more punch and vibrancy, whereas the a90 was more muted but natural looking. I guess the question is which I prefer. Obviously there is a draw towards the punchiness but not sure that’s the right real life decision to make unless I want to impress people coming over with how vibrant it is.

The Panasonic jz2000 from across the shop did catch my eye though, but I ran out of time to properly look at it. The picture did seem to be a balance between the Sony and LG. But as custom integration control is a must, I think the Panasonic has to be ruled out

I’m only going to drop my cash on this TV once it drops below the 2K mark, if it ever does. £2300 even at Black Friday prices is ridiculous

Decision time tomorrow. 83A90J Vs 75Z9J.

How aggressive is the ABL on this?

Decision time tomorrow. 83A90J Vs 75Z9J.

How aggressive is the ABL on this?
Do you mean ABSL or ABL? If you mean the dimming on white or bright scenes, this set is probably the best out there for mitigating this because of the heat sink and Evo panel. That said, I have never noticed it on any of my previous OLEDs either, so I might not be best equipped to offer advice. If you mean, dimming when the image is stationary, I have only noticed this working as intended i.e. when the image has been still for a while. I’ve never noticed it when gaming or watching sports with on screen logos.

Pretty much set on an A90J now but just have a couple of concerns left. How much of an impact does ABSL make when watching things with a static logo, like sports? Specifically, I watch F1 a lot, does anyone watch from Sky Q and can advise how it looks, motion and of course ABSL?

Thanks

Anyone knows if this TV plays 4K HDR/DV MKV files via USB?

Well I just took the plunge, Richer Sounds matched the price at Hills Sound and Vision plus £20 off to 2275, was I think as low as I'll get it for a while!

Well I just took the plunge, Richer Sounds matched the price at Hills Sound and Vision plus £20 off to 2275, was I think as low as I'll get it for a while!
Bought mine Wednesday just got the same price match. 3-5 working days they said, turns out it’s coming tomorrow!

Anyone knows if this TV plays 4K HDR/DV MKV files via USB?
I would've thought so if my 2019 LG 4K LED in the lounge can. I have never actually tried it from the A90J but would be amazed if it didn't. That being said, Streaming the same file format over your internal Network, whether wired or on 5Ghz Wireless works just fine via PLEX.

I would have had the 65 inch version today but it won't fit on my stand. More central feet would have been fine but with then at the ends then it won't fit.

Too bad. I'll see if I can work something out and there's no rush as the price won't go back up. It may even drop further. Esp when the 2022 sets are out. There's not much more that can be squeezed out of the oled tech now.

I would have had the 65 inch version today but it won't fit on my stand. More central feet would have been fine but with then at the ends then it won't fit.

Too bad. I'll see if I can work something out and there's no rush as the price won't go back up. It may even drop further. Esp when the 2022 sets are out. There's not much more that can be squeezed out of the oled tech now.
I believe you can put the feet in a narrow configuration.

Old video, but since nobody mentioned it:

They’re starting to ship these from 15th December. Anyone think it’s worth getting? £550 a pop is a lot to pay just to try and enable 120hz Dolby Vision.

I don’t think DV gaming on this set will ever be a realistic option unless Sony produce a gaming mode for Dolby Vision.

I believe can enable Game Mode.
Some details on how they done it in the past here:

I could be wrong, but I'm sure people on the "Cables & Switches" subforum could clarify it.

They’re starting to ship these from 15th December. Anyone think it’s worth getting? £550 a pop is a lot to pay just to try and enable 120hz Dolby Vision.

I preorder mine at 399. Will report back once I get it

I could be wrong, but I'm sure people on the "Cables & Switches" subforum could clarify it.

Ah cool, thanks. I have spent a bit of time speaking with The manufacturer over email this evening.

I wanted to know how it is controlled and stuff as it has an infra red receiver. They’ve said you can switch the inputs with a harmony remote. Which I’ve got thankfully.

I pre-ordered the Denon AVS-3 HDMI switcher for £189 and it still isn’t in stock, so I’m contemplating just getting a refund and then going for the VRROOM if it is decent.

I’m still a bit concerned that the lack of DV game mode on the tv will mean that there will be serious input lag using this to get 4K120 DV.

I’m still a bit concerned that the lack of DV game mode on the tv will mean that there will be serious input lag using this to get 4K120 DV.
Not really sure what you mean because this TV will never do 4K 120 DV.

I believe can enable Game Mode.

As soon as the TV detects a DV signal it switches to DV mode on the TV. You can’t force it into Game mode unfortunately.

I’ve only ever used the VLC app on the tv which plays basically anything the desktop app can.

Thanks. Does it play 4K HDR and Dolby Vision mkv files correctly?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom