Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

@NikG i have the q800a but will certainly take a look to see if an update has been made available, possible that they may do the flagship bars first but fingers crossed. Thanks for the heads up

Hi @Mallett94 yes that was my initial setup when I realised I couldn’t get Dolby atmos via eARC. The issue I had was that when pressing play after a pause on the sky q box it would take between 3 and 5 seconds for the sound to appear, now that doesn’t seem to be a particular long time but when the wife keeps asking why the sound is not coming on it gets wearing. If anybody has a solution to that particular problem ( not the wife ) then I would be happy to switch back.
Try rolling with the atv4k direct to soundbar, then skyq direct to TV but with earc off.

See if having eARC on was for some reason the cause with sky q audio resuming being delayed?

hello gyus,new customer here..happy for the tv..only 1 question..i read about allm update but still no sign of it..is there any eta?hope soon..i read before 2021 ends right?

I think if we haven’t seen a 2.1 switcher by this point, we likely never will.
I called this one wrong 😂 Not sure I’d spend £50 on one personally, when it is cheaper to just pull the HDMI cable out of one console and plug it into another, but I can see people spending it for convenience sake.

I called this one wrong 😂 Not sure I’d spend £50 on one personally, when it is cheaper to just pull the HDMI cable out of one console and plug it into another, but I can see people spending it for convenience sake.
Yeah but if you do it often you can damage the connectors and cables. A HDMI plug is not rated for a lot of insertions like USB ports are.

For you A90J owners….did you compare against the A80J? What were your findings/ reasons for going for the much more expensive model?

For you A90J owners….did you compare against the A80J? What were your findings/ reasons for going for the much more expensive model?
I didn't even look at the A80J because I wanted the best possible PQ and HDR performance which you only get on the A90J. The heatsink also lessened the effect of ABL which was also a big plus to me when I game on my PS5. I was only interested in a 65" TV, so price wasn't that much of an issue. Ideally I probably could have gotten the 77 A80J for a bigger immersive experience, but I was coming from a 49" TV, so the 65" was still a massive upgrade. If you are having an issue between choosing the 77 A80J and 65/83 A90J, I would wait till next year, I think Sony will release a 77 A90J and then you can get the size and PQ you want.

I went with the A90J for 2 reasons, heat sink and new panel. No heat sink with the A80j, and there is no guarantee you will get the new panel with the 55 or 65 inch version. Only with the 77A80J, are you guaranteed to get to the 2021 panel.

I had my 83 A90J calibrated by Steve Kemp on Tuesday and what a transformation. I was already impressed with the picture quality and wasn't sure it could get much better but I'm pretty blown away by the results. I'm not one for slides etc and only look for issues in real world viewing but Steve said I had the perfect panel and was very surprised how bright it was pushing. Always encouraging to hear that from an expert. He also looked at my sound system and sounds a million times better after his tweaks.

Would really recommend Steve :smashin:

I went with the A90J for 2 reasons, heat sink and new panel. No heat sink with the A80j, and there is no guarantee you will get the new panel with the 55 or 65 inch version. Only with the 77A80J, are you guaranteed to get to the 2021 panel.
I didn't even look at the A80J because I wanted the best possible PQ and HDR performance which you only get on the A90J. The heatsink also lessened the effect of ABL which was also a big plus to me when I game on my PS5. I was only interested in a 65" TV, so price wasn't that much of an issue. Ideally I probably could have gotten the 77 A80J for a bigger immersive experience, but I was coming from a 49" TV, so the 65" was still a massive upgrade. If you are having an issue between choosing the 77 A80J and 65/83 A90J, I would wait till next year, I think Sony will release a 77 A90J and then you can get the size and PQ you want.
Whenever I get to buying, I get to researching like the rest of us. I’m after 77 or 83 inch so that might mean new panel I guess. The thing is, there’s one or two decent comparisons of 80J and 90 J on you tube and it doesn’t look all that different in general viewing. I gather that for HDR, the peak highlights will show a difference but only for that second it’s that high. In most cases, it seems that the XR processor and motion etc. are very comparable. The glass used is the same at 77inches so reflectiveness is likely same. My thoughts run to whether £3000 more for A90J at 83inch is a sensible and noticeable upgrade over 77 A80J? This is why I asked the question if anyone had seen both.

Whenever I get to buying, I get to researching like the rest of us. I’m after 77 or 83 inch so that might mean new panel I guess. The thing is, there’s one or two decent comparisons of 80J and 90 J on you tube and it doesn’t look all that different in general viewing. I gather that for HDR, the peak highlights will show a difference but only for that second it’s that high. In most cases, it seems that the XR processor and motion etc. are very comparable. The glass used is the same at 77inches so reflectiveness is likely same. My thoughts run to whether £3000 more for A90J at 83inch is a sensible and noticeable upgrade over 77 A80J? This is why I asked the question if anyone had seen both.
I am having the same debate. My answer was that the £3k gets me 16% extra screen estate, and the class leader.

Your not going to be able to tell the difference by seeing them on YT. You need to go to a store and see for yourself, there is just something about the extra brightness that it can't match. Its also about holding that brightness for longer as well.

Your not going to be able to tell the difference by seeing them on YT. You need to go to a store and see for yourself, there is just something about the extra brightness that it can't match. Its also about holding that brightness for longer as well.
Sorry, bit of confusion here. I was saying that I saw reviewers on YouTube discussing the differences and finding the models very close. Not that I was comparing on YouTube. Sorry if it reads that way. A search of 80J vs 90J on YouTube shows these

I would imagine if you got the 80J without seeing the 90J you would be very happy with it. See them both side by side maybe not.

I personally when getting something as expensive as this normally want to get the best possible model I can get at the time as I keep them for as long as possible until something that significantly improves things comes out. It would also bug the shit out of me that there was a better model haha!

If I may interject, you're naturally going to get more people championing the A90J on this page. However, I've also heard the same as you from many sources. Stats aside, the difference in real world viewing is very minimal.

It's Important to add that i've not seen either in the flesh , but 'this' kind of back and forth is pretty much a perennial thing & the truth is, pretty much all OLEDs basically look the same (I compared several Sonys over the last few years and barely saw any difference at all between the AF8, AF9 & AG9 despite what the specifications would say)

You'll be blown away by the A80 and you'll be blown away by the A90. You're going to get more empassioned responses from those here who have dropped the extra money on the A90 though. No one's going to say they look the same after forking out significantly more cash.

If you can stretch to an A90 then 'awesome'. Just don't feel that you've compromised if you do end up with an A80. They're both fantastic, that's the bottom line 👍

If I may interject, you're naturally going to get more people championing the A90J on this page. However, I've also heard the same as you from many sources. Stats aside, the difference in real world viewing is very minimal.

It's Important to add that i've not seen either in the flesh , but 'this' kind of back and forth is pretty much a perennial thing & the truth is, pretty much all OLEDs basically look the same (I compared several Sonys over the last few years and barely saw any difference at all between the AF8, AF9 & AG9 despite what the specifications would say)

You'll be blown away by the A80 and you'll be blown away by the A90. You're going to get more empassioned responses from those here who have dropped the extra money on the A90 though. No one's going to say they look the same after forking out significantly more cash.

If you can stretch to an A90 then 'awesome'. Just don't feel that you've compromised if you do end up with an A80. They're both fantastic, that's the bottom line 👍
your rational and sensible outlook isn't welcome here. This is the internet ***

I couldn't even say they looked the same or different as ive never seen the A80J...i wanted an oled with the aluminium cooling plate i don't think the A80J has that...so my only choices were oing to be the Panny and the Sony. After 3 Panasonic's and still frame rate drops i decided to go for the sony for a change as I heard the motion was very good. i always go for the best for me. had the money so went for it. never looked back..if people are happy with there LG's, Panasonics or other brands good for them there watching it. i have no brand loyalities...so its a bit baffling when people insist one tv is better than another even when they haven't seen them next to each other like in a shootout.

all i can say is this tv is the best Ive owned. and the younger brother in the A80J is probably as good. I'm guessing the A90j can go a bit brighter in HDR because of the heat dispersion so maybe a 10 -15% increase in performance.

does any one know if the A90J has an official sony remote app on android?

I had my 83 A90J calibrated by Steve Kemp on Tuesday and what a transformation. I was already impressed with the picture quality and wasn't sure it could get much better but I'm pretty blown away by the results. I'm not one for slides etc and only look for issues in real world viewing but Steve said I had the perfect panel and was very surprised how bright it was pushing. Always encouraging to hear that from an expert. He also looked at my sound system and sounds a million times better after his tweaks.

Would really recommend Steve :smashin:
Had Steve do my kuro years back he’s a really nice bloke who never made me feel silly by me asking dumb questions he’s really passionate about his job and totally agree would recommend him👍

Had Steve do my kuro years back he’s a really nice bloke who never made me feel silly by me asking dumb questions he’s really passionate about his job and totally agree would recommend him👍
Drop £3000 grand on a new telly, madness not getting it calibrated. But each to there own..my last 4 tellies all calibrated...

Drop £3000 grand on a new telly, madness not getting it calibrated. But each to there own..my last 4 tellies all calibrated...
Was there a discernible difference after calibration? And was that in all types of viewing or in certain circumstances?

I couldn’t agree more with your comments. My only mental niggle is whether the heat sink will stop/ prevent burn in compared with those without? I don’t think the fractional moments of HDR at higher peak brightness would be enough to sway me. Buying tech is so emotive and one naturally wants to buy ‘the best’ and companies know this so they play on it! ( Thinking of Apple here who seem to have a lot of theatrics about small changes this year). I can afford the A90J but I’d like to be grown up about this and understand what more I’m buying for that extra £3k over the A80J. I’ve spent decades being the early adopter and paying lots for hyped gear. I was hoping you guys had already tried the buffet and could help me choose the right dish!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom