Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Yes I have played The Last of Us part 2 and it auto detected home theater 7.1 channels and worked perfectly.
So the issue isn’t the TV then, which entirely goes against the point you made. I’m confused.

So the issue isn’t the TV then, which entirely goes against the point you made. I’m confused.
What point? I never said the bar doesn't support 7.1 LPCM?...

The issue is that the EDID info on the LG CX/C1 (maybe G models too?) doesn't contain all of the correct/needed info to be able to passthrough 7.1 LPCM from external HDMI devices at the same time as displaying 4K @ 120hz. This the same reason as to why the Dolby Atmos at 4K 120hz from Xbox doesn't pass through properly because the Xbox outputs Atmos in a Dolby MAT container (similar to the Apple TV 4K) where Dolby MAT is LPCM with Atmos metadata.

The issue is that the EDID info on the LG CX/C1 (maybe G models too?) doesn't contain all of the correct/needed info to be able to passthrough 7.1 LPCM from external HDMI devices at the same time as displaying 4K @ 120hz. This the same reason as to why the Dolby Atmos at 4K 120hz from Xbox doesn't pass through properly because the Xbox outputs Atmos in a Dolby MAT container (similar to the Apple TV 4K) where Dolby MAT is LPCM with Atmos metadata.

My confusion was because the original post being referred to was this

All I have asked in the a80j thread and i thought I would also try here, has anyone connected an Apple TV 4K into hdmi and through eARC to a Soundbar and managed to get Dolby atmo?

The response from andykillsu was that the TV was responsible for these issues, which isn’t the case with the A90J.

My confusion was because the original post being referred to was this

The response from andykillsu was that the TV was responsible for these issues, which isn’t the case with the A90J.
Your getting confused been LPCM and Dolby MAT 2.0, they are different.
I am saying the TV supports LPCM and its possible it has the same issue the LG TVs have in supporting Dolby MAT 2.0. Its like how something can support Dolby TrueHD but not Dolby Atmos via TrueHD.

I am saying the TV supports LPCM and its possible it has the same issue the LG TVs have in supporting Dolby MAT 2.0. Its like how something can support Dolby TrueHD but not Dolby Atmos via TrueHD.

Yes that was partly my fault as I deviated away from the original point, reasoning being they re both multi channel PCM.

I think from @Geesus perspective and I guess from mine too is that, he has is a90j passing MAT to a Sonos and steve51 does not to his Samsung bar, therefore the only reasonable conclusion we can draw is that the bar must be the issue.

Pity you haven't got any MAT capable devices to test as its obvious you know your stuff :smashin:

Yes that was partly my fault as I deviated away from the original point, reasoning being they re both multi channel PCM.

I think from @Geesus perspective and I guess from mine too is that, he has is a90j passing MAT to a Sonos and steve51 does not to his Samsung bar, therefore the only reasonable conclusion we can draw is that the bar must be the issue.

Pity you haven't got any MAT capable devices to test as its obvious you know your stuff :smashin:
Yes I don't have a XSX to test 4K, 120, Dolby MAT 2.0. But hopefully soon the PS5 will be updated to support Atmos for home theater as I have that (its the last device they are needing to add support after todays update). That will also use Dolby MAT 2.0 because it is for on-the-fly encoding of Atmos (like LPCM is for ear level speakers).

Yes I don't have a XSX to test 4K, 120, Dolby MAT 2.0. But hopefully soon the PS5 will be updated to support Atmos for home theater as I have that (its the last device they are needing to add support after todays update). That will also use Dolby MAT 2.0 because it is for on-the-fly encoding of Atmos (like LPCM is for ear level speakers).

Yeah I agree it will probably use MAT for games, not sure for streaming apps/Plex etc.... both apple and Microsoft brought it in for like you say, on the fly encoding, but I believe their motivation was the ability to add system sounds such as notifications into the mix.After a lot of huffing and puffing MS did row back on this and now supports passthrough (Both lossless and lossy containers) for all streaming apps, including ripped content via the likes of Plex. Fingers crossed the PS5 behaves the same.

I have an older Samsung Bar (n850) but what really used to bug me about the xbox with MAT is that if I enabled atmos it would then send everything with an atmos signal (just leaving the unused channels blank), at this point the xbox did not have any upmixing capabilities either. Not sure if it has changed with the newer bars but when mine receives an atmos signal all dsp modes are disabled. End result being quite a few of the speakers often having no sound.

Yeah I agree it will probably use MAT for games, not sure for streaming apps/Plex etc.... both apple and Microsoft brought it in for like you say, on the fly encoding, but I believe their motivation was the ability to add system sounds such as notifications into the mix.After a lot of huffing and puffing MS did row back on this and now supports passthrough (Both lossless and lossy containers) for all streaming apps, including ripped content via the likes of Plex. Fingers crossed the PS5 behaves the same.

I have an older Samsung Bar (n850) but what really used to bug me about the xbox with MAT is that if I enabled atmos it would then send everything with an atmos signal (just leaving the unused channels blank), at this point the xbox did not have any upmixing capabilities either. Not sure if it has changed with the newer bars but when mine receives an atmos signal all dsp modes are disabled. End result being quite a few of the speakers often having no sound.
I mean its going to have to, its the only way you can have on-the-fly encoding of Atmos that I know of. They can't send out like a Dolby TrueHD signal because it needs to be encoded in that first, then sent out which introduces a delay (not even sure how fast you can actually do it either).

Yeah I watched my beloved Everton vs Burnley in hdr...it was sublime!!

Watched the hobbit in dolby vision and the picture was ridiculously spectacular

Played Ghost of Tsushima those specular highlights are like 3D

So much colour punch and pop...not sure if the Panasonic would have beaten it though, would have been an interesting match up though

And indeed my first oled but my best telly owned

Ghost is insane.. Did you tried the 3d sound from the TV due to the new update?

Yeah mate unfortunately the 2020 and 2021 Samsung bars have an issue with multichannel PCM over Earc, not ideal as with the ATV you either have the option of that or audio transcoded to DD, thus losing atmos. Oddly the 2019 bars such as the Q90r don't seem to have this problem
I have a q90r and no issues ha... I will go for the Sony ht-a9 setup once I sold my q90r.

Thinking ahead guys…can you foresee a need for a 2.1 HDMI switcher to allow more connections? And would it be possible?

I have an Apple TV which I believe uses MAT for Dolby Atmos and it is working fine with my Arc.

Thinking ahead guys…can you foresee a need for a 2.1 HDMI switcher to allow more connections? And would it be possible?
For the A90J if you're a hardcore gamer and have the two main next-Gen consoles, possibly yes.

I think if we haven’t seen a 2.1 switcher by this point, we likely never will.

Anyone who got an manufacture date of the A90j after July 2021 with improved panel uniformity?

I think if we haven’t seen a 2.1 switcher by this point, we likely never will.
Yeah, personally I just don't think there'll be enough demand for them as those hardcore gamers will most likely go for sets with 3+ more HDMI 2.1 ports rather than sets like the A90J.

@chopples , @andykillsu and @Geesus thanks guys for the support and looking into my issue, whether it’s the TV’s ability to handle Dolby mat 2.0 or the Samsung Soundbar there is obviously an issue using that over eARc. Will have to wait to see if a firmware update by one of the other fixes it, I will just have to disab,e eARC when using the apple TV and get DD+ via arc. Cheers guys

A quick search on old Amazon and I found a couple of HDMI 2.1 switchers, whether they work or not is a whole other question.

Amazon product ASIN B08PKJZ7QB
And that's quite pricey too for a switcher...
I bought a couple 3x1 2.0b Switchers a few years back and they were a fraction of that!

@chopples , @andykillsu and @Geesus thanks guys for the support and looking into my issue, whether it’s the TV’s ability to handle Dolby mat 2.0 or the Samsung Soundbar there is obviously an issue using that over eARc. Will have to wait to see if a firmware update by one of the other fixes it, I will just have to disab,e eARC when using the apple TV and get DD+ via arc. Cheers guys
Could you not do ATV4K direct into soundbar and then do SkyQ direct to TV and then eARC the SkyQ sound back to Soundbar? SkyQ output will be 5.1 DD+ (and lossy Atmos?) at most and so should be absolutely fine?

Could you not do ATV4K direct into soundbar and then do SkyQ direct to TV and then eARC the SkyQ sound back to Soundbar? SkyQ output will be 5.1 DD+ (and lossy Atmos?) at most and so should be absolutely fine?
Hi @Mallett94 yes that was my initial setup when I realised I couldn’t get Dolby atmos via eARC. The issue I had was that when pressing play after a pause on the sky q box it would take between 3 and 5 seconds for the sound to appear, now that doesn’t seem to be a particular long time but when the wife keeps asking why the sound is not coming on it gets wearing. If anybody has a solution to that particular problem ( not the wife ) then I would be happy to switch back.

what soundbar do you have? If you look at the Samsung q950t forum there was a firmware update yesterday where users are reporting Lpcm 7.1 Earc pass through works now, not sure if that helps your situation.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom