Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Barney are you running a 2.1 hdmi receiver?
Yes Mick but, I've nothing hooked up to it other than the A90J via eARC.

I had an RX-A2A delivered Monday. I'm so impressed with it, I may send it back and upgrade to the RX-A4A. I'm going to decide if the difference in money is worth it over the next couple of days.

Sorry mate, I sort of opened mouth before engaging brain.

Native IMAX content may still look different on your TV at home. I'm guessing Bad Boys appeared like 4:3 maybe? Black bars left and right?
I just played Pixels, Life and Fury via Core. All in IMAX and they had bars top and bottom. So, I'm gonna stop talking now, the t**t..

I've got too much time on my hands:(.

Sorry @IL Cattivo

I got a question for the owners...

When I was watching Bad Boys for Life last night via Bravia Core, it is listed as an IMAX-E (Enhanced) title. Now I thought that IMAX-E titles filled the entire screen, however when I watched this movie it still retained the black bars?

Some setting not right somewhere possibly?

I believe it will only take up the entire screen when actual IMAX cameras is used, which isn't the entire movie.

When I was watching Bad Boys for Life last night via Bravia Core, it is listed as an IMAX-E (Enhanced) title. Now I thought that IMAX-E titles filled the entire screen, however when I watched this movie it still retained the black bars?

Just checked and it says IMAX DTS and the usual bars top and bottom.

Did take a good minute and half to hit full bitrate of 79.871

Not had enough films that I'm interested in for me to use the service though. Only used one credit so far

I had an RX-A2A delivered Monday. I'm so impressed with it, I may send it back and upgrade to the RX-A4A. I'm going to decide if the difference in money is worth it over the next couple of days.
what kinds of money are they barney?

I believe it will only take up the entire screen when actual IMAX cameras is used, which isn't the entire movie.
Andykillsu is correct. I've seen a few films at an IMAX cinema and only certain scenes are given the 'IMAX treatment'. The one I remember was in the Dark Knight when in China Batman is on top of a skyscraper and the screen opens out to give a more dizzying height effect. However most of the time it seems like a bit of a gimmick with no reason other than "IMAXing it up". I've watched IMAX Blurays like Tenet without realising it was IMAX.

Just checked and it says IMAX DTS and the usual bars top and bottom.

Did take a good minute and half to hit full bitrate of 79.871

Not had enough films that I'm interested in for me to use the service though. Only used one credit so far
Yeah. so this from the offical IMAX Enhanced website is what had me confused>..!!

1627486906369.png

RS website says 4a not due till october?

i have deffo seen dolby atmos on the disney plus app..but i dont know whether it was the built in app or the firestick. currently only 5.1 on the remote app on the sony.

ive been playing ratchet and clank in all its 120 htz glory confirmed by my marantz app. buttery smooth

I know what you mean - my old IMAX blurays used to fill the screen when the IMAX scenes were displayed… the ratio was 16:9. These more modern IMAX-E titles on Bravia Core don‘t appear to be shot in 16:9 or other taller ratios. It’s more about the remastering image quality for home use.

I guess I’ll find fans of the A90J on this thread..

I am trying to decide/discover whether the Sony A90J is better for me than the Panasonic JZ2000.

In a nutshell I want to buy the best 55” television available, but am not anything approaching an expert on the various strengths of the top 2 candidates.

I will be watching sport (F1, Nascar, Indy car, Cycling, football and soccer) in both 4K and HD. Also general viewing of TV and films using streaming services and cable (SKY Q) in both HD and 4K.

HD upscaling and motion processing mumble is important. Viewing sport without blurred surround to fast moving images is highly desirable.

I have seen the Panasonic JZ2000, LG G1 and Sony A90J demoed in the same store and viewed the same football, F1 and cycling footage on each set via youtube content all labelled as HD.

The JZ2000 appeared to handle the motion and upscaling better than the others. BUT reading the many reviews available I am not sure that I have seen the televisions at their best.

I expect the A90J should have done much better so am doubting that the quality of the feed (perhaps) matched that of the JZ2000.

Andykillsu is correct. I've seen a few films at an IMAX cinema and only certain scenes are given the 'IMAX treatment'. The one I remember was in the Dark Knight when in China Batman is on top of a skyscraper and the screen opens out to give a more dizzying height effect. However most of the time it seems like a bit of a gimmick with no reason other than "IMAXing it up". I've watched IMAX Blurays like Tenet without realising it was IMAX.
Yeah. so this from the offical IMAX Enhanced website is what had me confused>..!!

View attachment 1547744

Only certain scenes will take up the full screen like that. I know on Ghostbusters, all the CGI with the slime will go into the black bars of the screen. This is the IMAX enhanced. But yeah for the most part IMAX is kinda a gimmick since movies will not use them for the majority of the movies. I know there are some smaller budget movies coming out that are going to use IMAX cameras for the majority of the film, so maybe IMAX will actually become a thing soon.

So is there a quick guide to the best settings? I seem to recall rec 2020 wasn't being set correctly on auto?

I noticed the same and it has been like that from the beginning for me.

Hi guys. New to the forum. Well, I've been following the threads but only joined today. Pulled the trigger finally on the 65-A90J (John Lewis). Not in stock but they say it should be re-stocked in a week. Praying it doesn't take longer as I'm super inpatient. Bought and assembled a new Besta cabinet and all. Will be quite the upgrade from my 5 year old Bravia KDL-43W755C.

Attachments

• DSC_2032.JPG
    DSC_2032.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 114
Hi guys. New to the forum. Well, I've been following the threads but only joined today. Pulled the trigger finally on the 65-A90J (John Lewis). Not in stock but they say it should be re-stocked in a week. Praying it doesn't take longer as I'm super inpatient. Bought and assembled a new Besta cabinet and all. Will be quite the upgrade from my 5 year old Bravia KDL-43W755C.

Make sure you move that cabinet to a solid wall as I’m pretty sure you have to attach the TV to one with the Besta range. It is what prevented me from getting one.

So I finally spotted the dreaded grid... I've been going back over Futurama on Disney+ as some light wfh lunch time viewing and just got to the widescreen 1080p stuff and definitely in several scenes I can see it... it's pretty faint and I can generally only see it if I look for it but it's there... I have not spotted it all in anything else so not bothered by it at this point.

You sure it’s not just compression issues? I've been rewatching that show too and the earlier seasons can look bad sometimes with low quality and compression. Try and watch it on another display like your phone to see if it looks the same.

Make sure you move that cabinet to a solid wall as I’m pretty sure you have to attach the TV to one with the Besta range. It is what prevented me from getting one.
A lot of the besta range you do not need to attach to wall. The one I had I didn't need to and can be used like any other stand

Hi. Lol I am going for the Yamaha rx-a6a as it uses the same chipset as the bigger Model. I have a rx3900 which j had years and still have the amp before it the A2.
Like Yamaha’s I herd all there inputs are Capable of handling the 48gb.
How do you find the new amp.

A lot of the besta range you do not need to attach to wall. The one I had I didn't need to and can be used like any other stand
I am going for this stand the bigger one for my new tv but not going to put the back in for air flow. I agree that these should not need to be screwed to the wall.
Problem is they have no stock of the glass and doors and been waiting three weeks and still waiting.

You sure it’s not just compression issues? I've been rewatching that show too and the earlier seasons can look bad sometimes with low quality and compression. Try and watch it on another display like your phone to see if it looks the same.
Pretty sure it's the grid... it's very uniform and grid like :) The earlier seasons do look pretty terrible in places but I didn't notice the grid pattern at all.
I have to get pretty close to the screen to really see it in any case so phone is probably a little small for that, but I'll give it a go.
Even if it is "the grid" though I haven't seen it in anything else and even with Futurama it's very faint so it's certainly bearable.

Got the SkyQ UHD box now hooked up to my A90J in the office.
Eurosport 4k HLG Volleyball has never looked so good.. :clap:

Roll on the HDR PL footie in two weeks! :thumbsup:

I am going for this stand the bigger one for my new tv but not going to put the back in for air flow. I agree that these should not need to be screwed to the wall.
Problem is they have no stock of the glass and doors and been waiting three weeks and still waiting.
I've been looking for the black glass top panel for TV for the stand and it's not available anywhere. Really don't want the top getting scratched and the white (which they have available) does not look good with my chosen colour scheme.

I've been looking for the black glass top panel for TV for the stand and it's not available anywhere. Really don't want the top getting scratched and the white (which they have available) does not look good with my chosen colour scheme.
have you tried a glass company? we have a round patio table where the top shattered few years ago.. was able to get a replacement cut by a class company in dublin and they could do it to any size/colour/hardened etc..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom