Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Nice, did Plex try and transcode the audio? I can't seem to get the TV to passthrough Dolby TrueHD via Plex, the server always tries to transcode, even though eArc is enabled...
I don’t let the server do any transcoding as it’s a HP micro server with very little processing power. The data has be dealt with “as is” on the downstream application. I do have an issue where some (but not all) Dolby true HD content plays but buffers a lot, which is more down to the app itself, as my ATV handles it fine. The complete crashing of the OS is new though

Question from an LG owner considering the A90J

Does it have an app for streaming built in? Like the LG C9 I have has the Plex app.

I don’t let the server do any transcoding as it’s a HP micro server with very little processing power. The data has be dealt with “as is” on the downstream application. I do have an issue where some (but not all) Dolby true HD content plays but buffers a lot, which is more down to the app itself, as my ATV handles it fine. The complete crashing of the OS is new though
Ah got it! I thought you were using the inbuilt Plex app, I don't think that can pass through DolbyHD.

I have an AppleTv too and need to use Infuse for it to correctly direct play the audio, else the poor Raspberry Pi tries to transcode and rails spectacularly!

Were you able to direct play audio using Plex on ATV?

Ah got it! I thought you were using the inbuilt Plex app, I don't think that can pass through DolbyHD.

I have an AppleTv too and need to use Infuse for it to correctly direct play the audio, else the poor Raspberry Pi tries to transcode and rails spectacularly!

Were you able to direct play audio using Plex on ATV?
I have the Plex app installed on the TV but I access a network server to grab my movies, tv shows etc.

you could be right with handling Dolby TrueHD audio as it comes out as DD+ on my amplifier. The DTS MA stuff seems to play ok but comes out as Neural X for some reason?

I tried a raspberry pi before, for Plex and DTS audio badly hurt it’s performance!!

my ATV handles my Plex content perfectly.

Nice, I've found that if you direct play any video file, the Pi handles it perfectly. For TrueHD, Plex doesn't recognise the A90J or the ATV Plex as supporting that codec so it tries to transcode. Infuse can direct play and it decompresses the audio to PCM which has worked well in the past.

I guess a Shield would be the ideal streamer if uncompressed audio is undesirable for whatever reason.

Nice, I've found that if you direct play any video file, the Pi handles it perfectly. For TrueHD, Plex doesn't recognise the A90J or the ATV Plex as supporting that codec so it tries to transcode. Infuse can direct play and it decompresses the audio to PCM which has worked well in the past.

I guess a Shield would be the ideal streamer if uncompressed audio is undesirable for whatever reason.
Ah yes, you are right on the PCM conversion there. Tbh I’m more impressed it plays at all as I’ve struggled to get Plex working well over a network for years. I’ve just upgraded to a mesh WiFi network and wish I did it sooner!

Any news on your replacement set as yet?

Ah yes, you are right on the PCM conversion there. Tbh I’m more impressed it plays at all as I’ve struggled to get Plex working well over a network for years. I’ve just upgraded to a mesh WiFi network and wish I did it sooner!

Any news on your replacement set as yet?

Ah good shout, I've got the Google Wifi pucks in the home and they work pretty well.

Apparantely RS are getting more 65's in next week, hopefully I can get one of those. The vertical gridding has got worse, watching any panning scene in SDR shows the imperfections quite a bit :(

Hi All,

Been lurking on this thread for a while and have learnt lots of useful little tips along the way but have a question I hope someone will be able to help with.

I was under the impression that all 4 HDMI ports on the A90J supported Dolby Vision, yet in the HDMI Signal Format menu it only gives the option for HDMI's 3 & 4.

I have a Nvidia Shield plugged into HDMI 1 and was hoping to get DV out of it but it's not working!

Any Ideas?

View attachment 1528180
Congrats on the purchase! To answer your question, all 4 HDMIs support Dolby Vision up to 60hz. HDMI 3 and 4 have the switchable option because in order to enable 120hz for non-Dolby Vision sources, DV must be disabled. On HDMI 1 and 2, simply selecting Enhanced will allow Dolby Vision to work there too.

Hope that helps!

Ah good shout, I've got the Google Wifi pucks in the home and they work pretty well.

Apparantely RS are getting more 65's in next week, hopefully I can get one of those. The vertical gridding has got worse, watching any panning scene in SDR shows the imperfections quite a bit :(
I’ve been looking to improve my network for a while but not wanting to run Ethernet cables around the house, I’ve been looking at wireless alternatives. Went down the asus route in the end with their twin pack mesh router kit - works a charm!

Damn that’s not good that the gridding is getting worse. My 55” has the grid effect, with the faint horizontal lines in hdr highlights. I’ve decided to live with it as all 3 panny sets that I had also had it and this is no worse than those.

Dolby Vision is only supported on the 2019 Shield, is it possible that you have an older one?
Ahh that'll be the reason, mine is 2017 :facepalm:
And there was me thinking my trusty Shield could play anything, might be time to upgrade it!

Settings - Device Preferences -Display & Sound. Then it is the 2nd option down, under Resolution.
Yes that's where I was expecting to see it, but as gurmukhp said mine does not support DV!

Thanks for your help though @gurmukhp and @Geesus

Congrats on the purchase! To answer your question, all 4 HDMIs support Dolby Vision up to 60hz. HDMI 3 and 4 have the switchable option because in order to enable 120hz for non-Dolby Vision sources, DV must be disabled. On HDMI 1 and 2, simply selecting Enhanced will allow Dolby Vision to work there too.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for explaining that @Doctor Bravestone, I do think they could explain that a bit better in the menus though with quite a few of the other settings!

If it wasn't for the fact it feels like this TV was released 6 months too early I'd accept your congratulations and I'm sure in time with some updates it'll be well worth the money, just not at the moment!

Thanks for explaining that @Doctor Bravestone, I do think they could explain that a bit better in the menus though with quite a few of the other settings!

If it wasn't for the fact it feels like this TV was released 6 months too early I'd accept your congratulations and I'm sure in time with some updates it'll be well worth the money, just not at the moment!
Just because I'm a curious dude, if it was not worth it why did you buy it?

Am thinking of getting my Sony a90j calibrated in the near future. Am just curious if firmware updates can reset the calibration. Never had my tv calibrated before so any help would be appreciated.

Am thinking of getting my Sony a90j calibrated in the near future. Am just curious if firmware updates can reset the calibration. Never had my tv calibrated before so any help would be appreciated.
They normally dont. Have your calibrator send you an email with all the settings he/she adjusted, so if for some reason a FW update does mess up the settings, you can re enter them.

I'm getting mine calibrated next Wednesday. Really looking forward to improvement on OOTB settings. I know Steve has had his done and very happy.

They will email you all the settings if you ever need them.

I'm getting mine calibrated next Wednesday. Really looking forward to improvement on OOTB settings. I know Steve has had his done and very happy.

If you mean me, yes I’m very happy with mine since having it done last week. I look forward to see what you think next week.

They normally dont. Have your calibrator send you an email with all the settings he/she adjusted, so if for some reason a FW update does mess up the settings, you can re enter them.
The only worry I have is sometimes Sony mess with the greyscale in firmware updates, which will make calibration at this point questionable. Personally I would wait for the first big update before paying hundreds to have it done, though I think some calibrators offer a policy to dial settings back in if an update messes with them.

I'm thinking of getting a Denon 2700 or 3700 to go with the A90J. Does anyone have the two of them working together? Any problems to report? Is eARC working as it should?

I'm thinking of getting a Denon 2700 or 3700 to go with the A90J. Does anyone have the two of them working together? Any problems to report? Is eARC working as it should?

I have the 4700 and don’t have any issues.

I have the 3500 and it works well. No issues with eARC except multichannel PCM doesn’t play out the correct speakers - this is an A90J issue which I expect to be fixed in the first major update, whenever that is. Denon has been faultless since purchase. 👍🏻

2700 owner here and no issues with eARC. Do ensure that audio pass through is set to auto though

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom