Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

So far so good. Loving my 83 A90! Really a huge difference between my older LG E9, and I was really happy with that TV.

Going get it calibrated on Monday anyway as always planned to but honestly as is there is nothing I'm not happy with. So be interesting to see after calibration how I feel.
let's see it then! :D

So far so good. Loving my 83 A90! Really a huge difference between my older LG E9, and I was really happy with that TV.

Going get it calibrated on Monday anyway as always planned to but honestly as is there is nothing I'm not happy with. So be interesting to see after calibration how I feel.

Please can you post some pics. Would like to see how big it looks inside a normal room.

Are you not going to run it in before calibration?

Please can you post some pics. Would like to see how big it looks inside a normal room.
Your average phone cam isn't going to do it... He's gonna need a cam with a wide-angle lens, fish eye or use slide & stitch to get all the TV in one shot! :laugh:

This year its going to be between A90 and Panny JZ1500/2000.

Panasonic JZ2000 measurements (from the other thread):

Lum. Maximum - Filmmaker mode (10%, D65)
Lum. Maximum - Proffesional 1 (10%, D65)
Lum. Maximum - Dynamic mode (10%, D65)
Delta E - Dynamic mode
Delta E - Standart mode
Delta E - Cinema mode
Delta E - Proffesional 1 mode
Gamma
Color space DCI-P3
Color space BT 2020
962 cd / m² (65"),
875 cd / m² (65"),
1250 cd / m² (65"),
18.5 (65"),
2.13 (65"),
0.88 (65"),
1.16 (65"),
-
99% (65"),
76% (65"),
is VRR working out of the box?

No idea. Not a gamer, so don't care about it. :)

More interested in Movie performance.

I think with Panny's it is working but only at half resolution with a fix promised 'at some point'. There appears to be issues with the SOC which is why both Sony and Panny are having problems.

Pic of river in very bright room . All from YouTube 4k.

Attachments

• 20210614_224839.jpg
    20210614_224839.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210614_224823.jpg
    20210614_224823.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210614_224809.jpg
    20210614_224809.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210614_224703.jpg
    20210614_224703.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 20210614_163450.jpg
    20210614_163450.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 177
Thanks @AcemanUK. Looks very nice. Hope you are enjoying the extra level of immersion.

Hi All,

Been lurking on this thread for a while and have learnt lots of useful little tips along the way but have a question I hope someone will be able to help with.

I was under the impression that all 4 HDMI ports on the A90J supported Dolby Vision, yet in the HDMI Signal Format menu it only gives the option for HDMI's 3 & 4.

I have a Nvidia Shield plugged into HDMI 1 and was hoping to get DV out of it but it's not working!

Any Ideas?

PXL_20210615_103740258.jpg

Hi All,

Been lurking on this thread for a while and have learnt lots of useful little tips along the way but have a question I hope someone will be able to help with.

I was under the impression that all 4 HDMI ports on the A90J supported Dolby Vision, yet in the HDMI Signal Format menu it only gives the option for HDMI's 3 & 4.

I have a Nvidia Shield plugged into HDMI 1 and was hoping to get DV out of it but it's not working!

Any Ideas?

View attachment 1528180

It's definitely possible to get Dolby Vision at 60fps using HDMI 1 & 2. I have connected an Apple TV and did the HDMI connection test.

Could it be a cable issue? Does your device do Dolby Vision if connected to HDMI 4?

First experience of a software issue last night after over a month of owning this set.

Went to play a MKV blu ray rip from my file server using the Plex app on the TV (Tron Legacy). I enabled the DTS-HD MA soundtrack.
the movie played for about amount and then the screen went blank, with the TV doing a full reboot.

When loaded up, I launched the app again and watched the movie right through with no issues 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully not a sign of things to come…

First experience of a software issue last night after over a month of owning this set.

Went to play a MKV blu ray rip from my file server using the Plex app on the TV (Tron Legacy). I enabled the DTS-HD MA soundtrack.
the movie played for about amount and then the screen went blank, with the TV doing a full reboot.

When loaded up, I launched the app again and watched the movie right through with no issues 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully not a sign of things to come…
Nice, did Plex try and transcode the audio? I can't seem to get the TV to passthrough Dolby TrueHD via Plex, the server always tries to transcode, even though eArc is enabled...

It's definitely possible to get Dolby Vision at 60fps using HDMI 1 & 2. I have connected an Apple TV and did the HDMI connection test.

Could it be a cable issue? Does your device do Dolby Vision if connected to HDMI 4?
Thanks for the reply,

Basically I have a Denon X2700H plugged into EARC, a Sony UBP-X800M2 plugged into HDMI 4 and the Shield in HDMI 1 (both in the TV not the Amp).

I swapped the HDMIs from the backs of the Shield and the X800, put in one of the UHD Hobbit films and was able to get Dolby Vision from HDMI 1 but still not working on the Shield; so now I guess the question is, does the Shield support Dolby Vision?

I'm fairly certain it does so there must be some magic setting I haven't found yet to enable it!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Any Ideas?

View attachment 1528180
Is Dolby Vision enabled on the Shield?

Where is that setting @Geesus? I've looked all through the Display settings on the Shield and can't see anything related to Dolby Vision!

So according to Nvidia there should be a Dolby Vision menu option. I'm just not seeing it on mine 😔
1623760289740.png

And no it's not the cables, like I said previously I swapped the cable with the one that was plugged into the UHD spinner and that output DV/DA just fine!

Oh before I head to work, I was in the local Richer Sounds at the weekend telling the store about my issues with this TV and the guy said he had a meeting with a Sony rep the week before who apparently said the catch-up apps would be arriving "soon"!

Dolby Vision is only supported on the 2019 Shield, is it possible that you have an older one?

Where is that setting @Geesus? I've looked all through the Display settings on the Shield and can't see anything related to Dolby Vision!
Settings - Device Preferences -Display & Sound. Then it is the 2nd option down, under Resolution.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom