Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hi Woppy101, cant see in your pictures a Soundbar or speakers, do you use the on sound from the tv and if so how do you find it, looking to see on my next upgrade to go for the JZ2000 or the A90j, getting fed up with so many issues with lip sync and Soundbars, many thanks
With an added Sub to my GZ2000 it’s makes the sound from the TV perfectly acceptable and actually quite good, I haven’t missed my soundbar one bit TBH.

With an added Sub to my GZ2000 it’s makes the sound from the TV perfectly acceptable and actually quite good, I haven’t missed my soundbar one bit TBH.
Thanks for the quick reply, will definitely take a look at the JZ2000 then as an option and retire the Soundbar - cheers

Thanks for the quick reply, will definitely take a look at the JZ2000 then as an option and retire the Soundbar - cheers
There is no way any TV audio will compete with a JBL 9.1. Not even the mystical Panasonic TVs.

There is no way any TV audio will compete with a JBL 9.1. Not even the mystical Panasonic TVs.
I agree that it can’t compete with the sound, but it becomes a hit and miss as to whether you get sound coming out, the latest firmware stopped support of atmos from built in apps, the oppo and Apple TV no atmos when plugged directly into the tv, with only one HDMI IN on the Soundbar you have to be selective on what you plug in. Just thinking to remove the hassle when just watching sky or other broadcast it might just be easier.

I've got iPlayer to work on virgin media box only so far got check sony x700 player and ps5

I couldn't find an iPlayer app on the PS5.

I agree that it can’t compete with the sound, but it becomes a hit and miss as to whether you get sound coming out, the latest firmware stopped support of atmos from built in apps, the oppo and Apple TV no atmos when plugged directly into the tv, with only one HDMI IN on the Soundbar you have to be selective on what you plug in. Just thinking to remove the hassle when just watching sky or other broadcast it might just be easier.

I haven't had any issues with my Sonos Arc with the A90J for what it is worth. Do you mean the latest LG TV firmware messed it up or the JBL?

They did not say i was told that a rep for JL had been in and said there was going to be a price drop in two weeks., if it's true or not I don't know. But to be honest the new Panasonic is due this month and wanted to see how that stacks up to the Sony so i can wait. I might even wait till October as you get some good sales on OLED TVs then anyway.

I still own a Pioneer LX5090 Plasma TV and want to make the right choose to upgrade as I really want to keep this tv for at least 7 years and buy that time the new Display Micro LED will be out and should be at an affordable price.

I would of prob think 10% at least off and that would be £350 but we will see if it's an offer or a price drop.

Saw both the LG G1 and Sony A90j on Friday and they both produce some stunning picture quality but to be honest i am going to try and get some samples and stick them on a USB stick and play them back .
Thanks, sounds like you’re in the same situation as me still with my Panasonic Plasma. Was waiting for the Black Friday sales, but the Euros has got the FOMO going. £350 off might just make me go for it.

I couldn't find an iPlayer app on the PS5.

I haven't had any issues with my Sonos Arc with the A90J for what it is worth. Do you mean the latest LG TV firmware messed it up or the JBL?
it was the jbl firmware update that caused the issue

Is iplayer already on this TV or do you need an external device to use it? I’ve got my xbox one that I can get iplayer on if not

Is iplayer already on this TV or do you need an external device to use it? I’ve got my xbox one that I can get iplayer on if not
Currently only available if you side load the app. Should be officially coming at some point, hopefully with uhd support

What is sideload?
See post on previous page #4791. Basically it is installing an android app on an android device that hasn't yet been approved to use it. Involved getting the android apk file and using a file manager.

Well I don't think the game was broadcast in uhd. Wouldn't show up VM box as uhd
It was broadcast in UHD as I watched it this way via a Panasonic oled. Is it a Virgin V6 box that you have?

I've got the v6 box. Used the iPlayer app but didn't come up with uhd logo.
You have to find the UHD stream. At least on my AF9 they promote the HD and UHD is a bit further down the page.

There’s me not that bothered song doesn’t seem to support iPlayer since I have it on sky Q. It then I realise iPlayer on sky Q Doesn’t support UHD so I can’t watch the euros in UHD. Gutted.

can u not watch live itv football on the Xbox ? as i tried on my iPad and pc and i can but seem not to be able to on the Xbox.

have to say watching HD football on my 55 inch looks great... hlg would be nice but i don't feel hard done by.. anytime ive watched hlg on the iplayer before i had stuttering and bitrate issues.. hd from satelite looked better

I found it stuttered on my 4k dvd player too so had to watch on sky. I find the close up details excellent but full pitch shots are poor as the players look blurry and colour seems to leak out a little. I've switched luminance off and that's helped sdr. Hoping calibration will fix this.

This year its going to be between A90 and Panny JZ1500/2000.

Panasonic JZ2000 measurements (from the other thread):

Lum. Maximum - Filmmaker mode (10%, D65)
Lum. Maximum - Proffesional 1 (10%, D65)
Lum. Maximum - Dynamic mode (10%, D65)
Delta E - Dynamic mode
Delta E - Standart mode
Delta E - Cinema mode
Delta E - Proffesional 1 mode
Gamma
Color space DCI-P3
Color space BT 2020
962 cd / m² (65"),
875 cd / m² (65"),
1250 cd / m² (65"),
18.5 (65"),
2.13 (65"),
0.88 (65"),
1.16 (65"),
-
99% (65"),
76% (65"),

So far so good. Loving my 83 A90! Really a huge difference between my older LG E9, and I was really happy with that TV.

Going get it calibrated on Monday anyway as always planned to but honestly as is there is nothing I'm not happy with. So be interesting to see after calibration how I feel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom