Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

"In your opinion" ..fixed that for you

My motion is perfect on the Sony " in my opinion"...
I guess it depends what kind of motion you like.

With max image interpolation (max SOE), Panasonic has less artefacts. With the Sony, if the interpolation is dialed back a bit it's meant to be better than the Panasonic.

This is very much a personal preference. Good you've got both side by side to do a proper investigation 🔎

"In your opinion" ..fixed that for you

My motion is perfect on the Sony " in my opinion"...
I am glad to hear it. Until you have had them side by side I guess you will never know. The difference is not massive but TO ME I prefer the motion on the Panny. It has also been said that the Sony 2021 motion is not as good as previous years and can only be due to XR chip. I am sure Sony will improve it - atleast we hope so.

Ha, irony indeed. I have both Panny and A90J and for me Panny is better with motion due to the fact it can be fine tuned more. I hate to say it, but there are others that can't get the Sony motion right. Not saying A90J is bad its just not as good compared to my Panny.
This isn't an opinion thing. Panasonic are class leaders in a lot of areas, but they are by far the worst TV on the market for motion. It is beyond hilarious that anyone can claim otherwise. They have had frame drops in 24Hz content for years now, and it still is an issue. Sony's motion is universally regarded as the industry standard.

Thats fine to convince yourself. I have both and see what I see. Panny are certainly not worst so not sure where you get that from. Sony and Panny are probably best for motion but Sony this year seems a step down to last years and I have better motion on my Panny compared to my A90J. Believe me, others are finding it difficult to find a good balance for motion on the A90J but those who have not had a Panny will not be able to compare. Yes, some panny owners mention the odd HDR stutter which I have not seen or at least never noticed. I really do wish Sony had better motion or more fine tune options but I am sure it will improve with future firmware updates. Certainly, you can't beat Sony or Panny Oleds for PQ but again Panny has a slightly improved PQ and black levels compared to my A90J. I do love my Sony but motion and black level needs improving.

for me Panny is better with motion due to the fact it can be fine tuned more.

I'd perhaps be inclined to agree if any of those Panasonic fine tuning options helped. None of them do to my eyes.

All standard IFC options introduce SOE and weird motion anomalies. You can try the custom settings, but having worked through all options on sliding scales none really improve motion clarity and all have a detrimental impact on other aspects of picture quality. Then there's the issue of micro-stutter.

With 24p content Panasonic is generally fine. With 50Hz motion Panasonic is far from class leading.

Out of interest, how have you fine tuned motion on your Panasonic OLED? What do you consider to be the best motion settings?

No wonder the Panasonic threads are dead. All the owners are in here.
Oh dear oh dear. I did make the point that I own an A90J fella so keep calm - and am in a position to compare against my Panny GZ - all are running latest firmware. Please do love your Sony, as I do mine. I am merely saying that the motion and black level could be improved on the Sony when compared to my Panny. Panny is known for the best PQ but I love both my Sony and Panny. I only hope there will be improvement in the Sony as and when they release firmware.

Because your Sky box is set to output 1080i. Watch an SD program on that box and it will say the same. The mini boxes don't do 4K.
Indeed, the i+ shows the video/sound format for the plugged device but not for the content being played currently… for instance I have an Apple TV app for watching sport channels and some of these channels are in 4K UHD and others in FHD but i+ shows 4K always… even for FHD channels

Oh dear oh dear. I did make the point that I own an A90J fella so keep calm - and am in a position to compare against my Panny GZ - all are running latest firmware. Please do love your Sony, as I do mine. I am merely saying that the motion and black level could be improved on the Sony when compared to my Panny. Panny is known for the best PQ but I love both my Sony and Panny. I only hope there will be improvement in the Sony as and when they release firmware.
All calm here my good man. As mentioned by others, you either have a mismatch in settings or a faulty TV as Sony are always ahead of Panasonic when it comes to motion. It isn't opinion to say otherwise, it is just empirically incorrect. The Panasonic is class leading in other areas, but not motion.

Anyone know how I can watch UHD iPlayer (Euro 2020) I have tried my Sony 4K BD player and PS4 Pro (as I know ps5 doesn’t have the app) and both don’t seem to give me a UHD option?

All calm here my good man. As mentioned by others, you either have a mismatch in settings or a faulty TV as Sony are always ahead of Panasonic when it comes to motion. It isn't opinion to say otherwise, it is just empirically incorrect. The Panasonic is class leading in other areas, but not motion.
Yeah, settings are all good on TV and with match frame rate on ATV / player etc... Sony does not have many motion adjustments which is my main point and why my Panny, to me, has better motion in comparison. I do like the Sony as it is a good TV and I am sure Sony can improve it further in time.

To add, I did have my original A90J replaced back in May due to bad gridding. The second set is much better but in terms of motion they are equal, so appears to be related to Sony XR chip.

Anyone know how I can watch UHD iPlayer (Euro 2020) I have tried my Sony 4K BD player and PS4 Pro (as I know ps5 doesn’t have the app) and both don’t seem to give me a UHD option?
Panasonic & LG are the main big boys who are in bed with the Beeb.. If you have App playback devices from either of those two, then you're in business. If not, you could struggle.

Panasonic & LG are the main big boys who are in bed with the Beeb.. If you have App playback devices from either of those two, then you're in business. If not, you could struggle.
The list of supported devices is here: Can I watch programmes in Ultra HD on my connected TV? | iPlayer help

Unfortunately popular devices from Apple, Amazon, Nvidia, Xbox and PlayStation are not supported.
Thanks both!
Yep looks like I will struggle!
Will stick to Sky Q/HD Apps :(

Apologies if this had been asked haven’t been able to catch up on this thread the last week
Thanks again!

Any idea if it’s going to be a decent reduction or just £50-100?
They did not say i was told that a rep for JL had been in and said there was going to be a price drop in two weeks., if it's true or not I don't know. But to be honest the new Panasonic is due this month and wanted to see how that stacks up to the Sony so i can wait. I might even wait till October as you get some good sales on OLED TVs then anyway.

I still own a Pioneer LX5090 Plasma TV and want to make the right choose to upgrade as I really want to keep this tv for at least 7 years and buy that time the new Display Micro LED will be out and should be at an affordable price.

I would of prob think 10% at least off and that would be £350 but we will see if it's an offer or a price drop.

Saw both the LG G1 and Sony A90j on Friday and they both produce some stunning picture quality but to be honest i am going to try and get some samples and stick them on a USB stick and play them back .

Which will give me the best picture quality please for the euros. Watching via sky q, watching via the iplayer if it were available on the Sony or watching video iplayer on my Amazon fire stick?

Which will give me the best picture quality please for the euros. Watching via sky q, watching via the iplayer if it were available on the Sony or watching video iplayer on my Amazon fire stick?
All of those devices will be HD rather then UHD unfortunately, however preference would be the tv to do the upscaling so I would still argue the app on the Sony if you have this side loaded. This is also likely to be upgraded to UHD at some point like the 2020 lineup, however I doubt this will be in time for even the end of the Euros

Yes Amazon have fell out with them so no 4k option and it seems Sony don't want to pay whatever fees are involved. The SD picture on my firestick is pretty choppy from source. So basically I can only watch the itv/bbc feeds. The bbc have been experimenting with uhd for a long time I'm surprised they don't have a uhd channel by now. And not sure these tellies will ever have the iplayer.

It's filed under "to be added later" like VRR - which feels like never.

Yes Amazon have fell out with them so no 4k option and it seems Sony don't want to pay whatever fees are involved. The SD picture on my firestick is pretty choppy from source. So basically I can only watch the itv/bbc feeds. The bbc have been experimenting with uhd for a long time I'm surprised they don't have a uhd channel by now. And not sure these tellies will ever have the iplayer.

It's filed under "to be added later" like VRR - which feels like never.
Pretty sure the Fire TV Cube still does iPlayer UHD but it will cost you.

Seem to have a new feature develop in the last few days. When I turn on the set, I get a notification pop up in the upper right corner saying “internet is connected”. While I’m not complaining that it’s certainly good my TV is connected to the ‘net, I don’t need a notification every time I power up telling me 🙄

Bit odd how it’s only started happening as it’s a UK set with the shipped firmware

Does anyone know how to suppress notifications like these?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom