Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Chill no need to go off on one! Anyone is free to sign up to avforums and post their own opinion on tv's. Not as if they were attacking anyone, just telling their personal opinion of the Sony A90J.

Myself personally I don't think any of the 2021 OLEDs are that much better than last years models. But hey I'll still be getting a Panasonic JZ2000 or Sony A90J in the next couple of months.

Not going off on one. Just interesting to note how marketing firms work from both sides. We have accounts signing up just to post in this thread, but instead of offering measured criticism or asking for advice, they leap to both extremes of either positivity or negativity. It is an easy and cheap marketing tool, I get it. If you persuade one person to buy the TV, or instead go for an LG instead, it is a sale for literally seconds of work.

Seriously, what is up with these accounts signing up to post inflammatory opinions on this TV? Is it some kind of marketing device or what? That poster comes across like he wants to **** off Yoshida. This is a great TV but it has faults like any consumer product.

Number one being No catch up apps
Not sure if you’re referring to me but I’m not being inflammatory….towards anyone, unless you are considering me being inflammatory to LG? In which I would say no need to get all upset I’m comparing top tier tvs with each other never said LG oleds were bad only that the A90J outclasses them when directly compared (I wish I had a G1 available to me for side by sides but HDTV Test has a fantastic video on it already and the A90J), the negatives the tv does have (or that others have reported) haven’t affected me and I haven’t experienced crashes with any apps or the google interface so I’m not going to make up problems just to have something bad to say 🤨.
It seems like such small things but the combination of the Bravia upscaling/sharpening with the slightly higher color saturation and brighter highlights…actually it’s more than just highlights its the widened gap between the brightest and darkest part of any given frame that gives the A90J such an advantage. And like my C8 there is no perceptible dark lines (jail bars) or vignetting on even the darkest grey content ( Snowpiercer, Inside)

Not going off on one. Just interesting to note how marketing firms work from both sides. We have accounts signing up just to post in this thread, but instead of offering measured criticism or asking for advice, they leap to both extremes of either positivity or negativity. It is an easy and cheap marketing tool, I get it. If you persuade one person to buy the TV, or instead go for an LG instead, it is a sale for literally seconds of work.
People commonly post at the height of their excitement or the lowest place of disappointment, doesn’t mean they work for either company. I really sympathize with the poster going by Barney Gumble and I feared feeling the same way when I bought the TV but I’m glad it met my expectations. I’ve still more test and tweaking to do but so far I haven’t experienced issues or have complaints, I’m thoroughly pleased with the TV so far and if that changes I will also report it. You wanting to dismiss someone just because they don’t echo your opinion about a TV doesn’t reflect well on you. Also I’m not new here, I just don’t remember my old account so I had to make this new one (I’ve posted on the owners forums for the A1E and C8) and linked some of my videos.

People commonly post at the height of their excitement or the lowest place of disappointment, doesn’t mean they work for either company. I really sympathize with the poster going by Barney Gumble and I feared feeling the same way when I bought the TV but I’m glad it met my expectations. I’ve still more test and tweaking to do but so far I haven’t experienced issues or have complaints, I’m thoroughly pleased with the TV so far and if that changes I will also report it. You wanting to dismiss someone just because they don’t echo your opinion about a TV doesn’t reflect well on you. Also I’m not new here, I just don’t remember my old account so I had to make this new one (I’ve posted on the owners forums for the A1E and C8) and linked some of my videos.

Interestingly I am more inline with your way of thinking than anyone, but there were some bizarre aspects of your very first post here, which is why I flagged it up as odd, notably claiming that the sound is better than a £700 soundbar, but you've clarified that and so I'm glad to welcome you to the thread and long may your excitement continue.

Because the GZ2000 thread is quieter, I thought I would share a few pics of my viewing pleasure tonight
BDEB49A6-1A17-49A1-99D4-3CF32DC828DC.jpeg
BBE6E6EA-76E6-4DF2-9968-8A2B87A31D32.jpeg
708203B6-0F1F-4848-BBD0-C0E362F5461B.jpeg
2825DAC8-7034-4034-8F97-41CFB2F0700C.jpeg
0B58550D-3E3B-4E3B-956E-4AB32B3EF401.jpeg
CDA6C4A4-600F-4A0F-801F-EA57F352C590.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Gz2000 and still looks amazing, how does it compare to the A90J?

I have the Gz2000 and still looks amazing, how does it compare to the A90J?
Both are very good, GZ2000 is better near black both uniformity and in low bitrate and has no bright HDR or SDR grid, A90J is better when it come to white uniformity and just nudges scaling

Both are very good, GZ2000 is better near black both uniformity and in low bitrate and has no bright HDR or SDR grid, A90J is better when it come to white uniformity and just nudges scaling
Thanks, what about HDR peak brightness?

Because the GZ2000 thread is quieter, I thought I would share a few pics of my viewing pleasure tonight
View attachment 1525997View attachment 1525998View attachment 1525999View attachment 1526000View attachment 1526001View attachment 1526002
looks amazing, has this been calibrated or is this out of the box?
How bad do you find the near black on the A90j? Is it anywhere near as bad as it looks in VTs video? I'm coming from a GZ950 so for me if there's even one area that feels like a step down it makes me a little apprehensive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes chap, films and box-sets work but, if i try to watch a live channel, you get sound for maybe a few seconds, and a live picture paused... then nothing, just frozen and unresponsive.

In the first week, it definitely worked and I was impressed with it as I have Boost.

I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, as well as stopping the app and clearing the cache, clearing data and clearing cached data within internal storage for the TV.
I had exactly the same sort of issue with live channels on NOW freezing, the exception being SKY News HD which still works. The solution for me was to disable EARC.

How bad do you find the near black on the A90j? Is it anywhere near as bad as it looks in VTs video? I'm coming from a GZ950 so for me if there's even one area that feels like a step down it makes me a little apprehensive!
Near black on the sony? I’m as fussy as hell and I don’t see any issues at all… that’s pre calibration..

I had exactly the same sort of issue with live channels on NOW freezing, the exception being SKY News HD which still works. The solution for me was to disable EARC.
That is weird. Live channels work fine for me with eArc enabled. It is more annoying for people when there is no universal reason for these issues occurring.

Motion

I've been recommended by a calibrator to set motion off and film mode off for sky q. I use external apple tv and told to set motion to custom with min min and film mode full. I have done this and motion seems OK. If people want to experiment with that for a while. Cheers

It’s out of the box, but with some tweaks as all GZ2000s have too much red, the near black on the Sony isn’t bad per say, but it’s just nowhere near as good as the Panasonic, if your coming from a Panasonic you will notice the difference, but if your coming from a Sony or LG they are better near black than last year

Lovely and I nearly bought one but the panny stutter drives me mad and once you see it you always see it.
Yeah the panny stutter can bother a lot of people, and considering that low ire banding and the grid bother the shit out of me, I’m surprised the stutter doesn’t bother me

I'm really susceptible to near black posterisation and I'm not having a problem with the A90J. It is certainly an improvement over my AF9 in that regard and light years ahead of the B6.

My 83A90J is currently being unloaded at my store! This was just posted on their Facebook. Will receive it next week after an in-store ISF calibration. :)

FB_IMG_1623411785393.jpg

Last edited:
Who thought putting that many TVs on a wooden pallet was a good idea!?

Who thought putting that many TVs on a wooden pallet was a good idea!?
I get nervous just watching this photo with tvs at top. Is the pressure on the tvs on the bottom really good?

Motion

I've been recommended by a calibrator to set motion off and film mode off for sky q. I use external apple tv and told to set motion to custom with min min and film mode full. I have done this and motion seems OK. If people want to experiment with that for a while. Cheers
Did you tell the calibrator you would be using the match frame rate function on the ATV4K?

My 83A90J is currently being unloaded at my store! This was just posted on their Facebook. Will receive it next week after an in-store ISF calibration. :)

View attachment 1526218
Just had an email from richer sounds saying delivery on monday - only to be followed up with a phone call saying the TV is going to be 2 weeks and the wall mount is coming on Monday :(

Bit of advice please. I was looking to put a soundbar under by 65 with the feet in the soundbar position. Any recommendations on a good soundbar to fit underneath?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom