Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

all the ports do DV dont they?
it's just 3 and 4 you have to select 120hz or DV?
Unfortunately, OOTB... all 4 ports are set to 'Standard' and thus require you to enable one of the two 'Enhanced' options to get HDR/DV.. :facepalm: , but yes... HDMI 3 & 4 are indeed those two.

Unfortunately, OOTB... all 4 ports are set to 'Standard' and thus require you to enable one of the two 'Enhanced' options to get HDR/DV.. :facepalm: , but yes... HDMI 3 & 4 are indeed those two.
aye, but hdmi 1 and 2 still do dolby vision 60hz don't they?

I can’t seem to get Dolby Vision working on the Blu-ray player (Sony x700) I have manually turned DV on but still only seem to only get HDR10?

The player is connected to a Denon receiver (x2300w) which is connected to HDMI 3 (ARC/eARC)
Anyone with the same issue or have any ideas why?
Dumb question but are you playing a DV disk??

all the ports do DV dont they?
it's just 3 and 4 you have to select 120hz or DV?

Could this be another case of enabling 1 of the 2 Enhanced features of the HDMI port your BR player is connected to? 'Enhanced w/Dolby Vision' ?

Thanks Jmacc + IL Cattivo! I had to change it from enhanced to Enhanced w/DV!
All sorted now, thanks again!
Dumb question but are you playing a DV disk??
Haha yeah i double checked, it was Aquaman and Bumblbee that i tried.

If you guys want to check your panel for the grid and to see how bad it is, Jupiter’s legacy in HDR on Netflix episode 7 from 26 min to 30.5 min, it’s a torture test
Guess this will be part of tonight's viewing :eek::eek:

Not really bothered about the grid as I only see it in some bright hdr content and need to be nose close.

Nowhere near as bad as some panels I seen on AVS,some look horrendous

Anyone got any recommendations on hdmi cables? I bought some high quality cables prior to the TV arriving but hadn't known to check for the hdmi certification, they do seem to do the job though but they are very stiff which makes tidying things up at the back of the TV a bit challenging... and as I use a swivel stand I'm a little concerned about long term stress on the hdmi ports when I move the screen about...
Anyway... so I'm thinking of trying a different brand...
I'd recommend these cables:
Amazon product ASIN B08NW5XN3B
They're official, well priced, and have been able to play anything I've thrown at it. With my previous cables, I was getting an audio sync issue when playing Dolby Vision via Apple TV, these cables solved that.

8K HDMI 2.1 Cable 1m,Maxonar (Certified) Ultra HD 48Gbps High Speed 8K60 4K120 eARC RTX 3090 HDR10 4:4:4 HDCP 2.2&2.3 Dolby Compatible with Playstation 5/PS5,Xbox Series X, Roku/Fire/Sony/LG TV Amazon product ASIN B08TLMCZJL
I’ve found these ones pretty good. Certified and pretty good in terms of being flexible.

If you guys want to check your panel for the grid and to see how bad it is, Jupiter’s legacy in HDR on Netflix episode 7 from 26 min to 30.5 min, it’s a torture test
Watched that episode last night, and then went back to see if I could notice it today, and could not see any grid, even a foot away. Using D-Nice enhanced settings.

Guess this will be part of tonight's viewing :eek::eek:

Not really bothered about the grid as I only see it in some bright hdr content and need to be nose close.

Nowhere near as bad as some panels I seen on AVS,some look horrendous
Watched that episode last night, and then went back to see if I could notice it today, and could not see any grid, even a foot away. Using D-Nice enhanced settings.
It’s definitely there on mine, but I would really say it looks more like, low bitrate blocking than a grid structure TBH

Update on my settings for motion freaks amongst us.

Sky q input I have amended to put motion as custom min and 1 whilst film mode is set to off. Now things are a lot smoother for me. Same setting for apple TV box. Happy again!

Thank you so much for that. I had not ventured into the SONY offers app.:blush: I've now received my voucher code and successfully redeemed it. Thank you.
Still not on the Sony app on my Irish set

Sky q input I have amended to put motion as custom min and 1 whilst film mode is set to off. Now things are a lot smoother for me. Same setting for apple TV box. Happy again!
Did changing the film mode do anything?

Did changing the film mode do anything?
I think from my perspective it made it smoother without any form of judder. I'm very sensitive to motion and have experimented with the different settings for sky q and apple tv. Football and movies. I think this is the best setting so far for me. I got rid of my Panasonic hz1500 because of motion issues despite a really good picture quality.

Sony has just released the spec for the 83” A90j. And the first thing that stands out is that it’s 12mm thicker than the 65” version!
It also has 4 subwoofers and not 2

is it just me that’s a little bit worried that the 83” is the same thickness as the cheaper LG c1 series?

I don’t see any reason that the 83” Sony should be any thicker! Unless it’s using a different panel?

Do you mean that your motion settings are now Custom with Smoothness set to Min and Clearness set to 1? Just remember that you should not use Clearness (aka BFI) for HDR / DoVi content as its only suitable for SDR.

Out of curiosity i,ve just watched that on my AG9 ,and no sign of any grid , it did however show 2 thin bands just off centre of the screen around half way through the timestamp , which is weird as i,ve never seen them before and they don't show on any slides

I think from my perspective it made it smoother without any form of judder. I'm very sensitive to motion and have experimented with the different settings for sky q and apple tv. Football and movies. I think this is the best setting so far for me. I got rid of my Panasonic hz1500 because of motion issues despite a really good picture quality.
I have a GZ950 and set my IFC to Dejudder 2 and Deblur 2 and don't have any motion issues. Sony motion is OK but I find there are less fine tune options for motion settings. Would not set Sony smoothness to anything above 1 as it will be an SOE party all over the place.

I have a GZ950 and set my IFC to Dejudder 2 and Deblur 2 and don't have any motion issues. Sony motion is OK but I find there are less fine tune options for motion settings. Would not set Sony smoothness to anything above 1 as it will be an SOE party all over the place.
I have smoothness to max, bfi disabled and film mode max. There are a lot of artefacts but any other setting just looks really jumpy to me. IFC on Panasonic on max was much smoother.

That being said, I think the panel has settled in, it's much brighter and the colours do pop. Changing gamma to 0 made a huge difference.

I have smoothness to max, bfi disabled and film mode max. There are a lot of artefacts but any other setting just looks really jumpy to me. IFC on Panasonic on max was much smoother.

That being said, I think the panel has settled in, it's much brighter and the colours do pop. Changing gamma to 0 made a huge difference.
You're on the wrong forum! 🤣😂😉

Sony has just released the spec for the 83” A90j. And the first thing that stands out is that it’s 12mm thicker than the 65” version!

is it just me that’s a little bit worried that the 83” is the same thickness as the cheaper LG c1 series?

I don’t see any reason that the 83” Sony should be any thicker! Unless it’s using a different panel?
Also replied the below to you in your thread.

If you look at 77" models from LG and Sony they are always about 1cm thicker then the 65" and 55" models, could be due to a larger power supply maybe?
it's the plastic hump that houses the electronics that is thicker, not the actual panel.

so you can put your tinfoil hat away :D

Out of curiosity i,ve just watched that on my AG9 ,and no sign of any grid , it did however show 2 thin bands just off centre of the screen around half way through the timestamp , which is weird as i,ve never seen them before and they don't show on any slides
Like a white sharp edge?

Hi Chipsteruk

Do you have a link to the spec please?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom