Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

As much as I want returnal, not paying 70 quid no way..I can wait. It will look awesome on the A90J though I suspect.

I'm still waiting for a price drop on Demons Souls but, I have plenty of back catalogue to work my way through.

I'm really excited for the PS5 upgrade to Wreckfest tomorrow, cheers @Ashy :thumbsup:.

If you're looking for a discount ebay have a 20% off code at the moment, more info here gents: Save 20% on Returnal, Resident Evil Village, Nier Replicant, Monster Hunter: Rise and more

Examples:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Another pointless update from me -

Not watched much UHD stuff yet other than BT Sport Ultimate but played a lot of PS5 stuff and have to say it looks absolutely glorious. A real improvement over my A1. Really pleased from that perspective :D

Another pointless update from me -

Not watched much UHD stuff yet other than BT Sport Ultimate but played a lot of PS5 stuff and have to say it looks absolutely glorious. A real improvement over my A1. Really pleased from that perspective :D
How have you connected your PS5?

Now john lewis are now offering £100 gift card with A90J ..I give up!

Last edited:
Enjoying our tv quite a bit. We only started watching poldark on Netflix a few weeks ago and you can definitely see an improvement on the a90 compared to my 4 year old LG e series. Watched Ghostbusters 2 on Bravia core and it looked pristine. What excites me about the tv is that it looks awesome already. Calibration will just take it that bit further. Watched some of a New Hope earlier on Disney plus and also looked amazing. The LG wasn’t bad but this just looks better. Not really surprising given its a 4 year new set.

Thanks @games133 and @Doctor Bravestone. Great to hear about the panel quality. I have a 6 year old LG and the yellow stain down the middle is one of the most irritating aspects of it, but honestly I've seen much newer OLEDs that are as bad or worse.

Regards audio adjustment, the "delay the picture", i.e. negative adjustment on the sound is quite key because my amp adds 50ms audio delay as a minimum, and sometimes more. Had I known this, I may not have bought it, but having paid £4k for the thing I am kind of stuck with it. So I need the TV to add zero, or ideally less than zero audio delay, otherwise the lip sync error makes it unwatchable.

Thanks @games133 and @Doctor Bravestone. Great to hear about the panel quality. I have a 6 year old LG and the yellow stain down the middle is one of the most irritating aspects of it, but honestly I've seen much newer OLEDs that are as bad or worse.

Regards audio adjustment, the "delay the picture", i.e. negative adjustment on the sound is quite key because my amp adds 50ms audio delay as a minimum, and sometimes more. Had I known this, I may not have bought it, but having paid £4k for the thing I am kind of stuck with it. So I need the TV to add zero, or ideally less than zero audio delay, otherwise the lip sync error makes it unwatchable.
There is an A/V Sync option in there. 0-250ms adjustment. I'm surprised your amp doesn't feature one too.

There is an A/V Sync option in there. 0-250ms adjustment. I'm surprised your amp doesn't feature one too.
It does. 50ms to 250ms audio delay. Which means the amp is always delaying the audio by at least 50ms, hence the problem. If the TV delays the sounds as well, then I am ****ed.

Does eArc not sort out the audio delay issues (that’s assuming your AVR supports eArc).
I used to have audio issues with my E7 connected to a Yamaha Avr that had eArc. My C9 doesn’t have any, assumed it was eArc at work ..

Anyone found a solution for the Dolby vision raised blacks on the ATV(not the TV app)

Anyone found a solution for the Dolby vision raised blacks on the ATV(not the TV app)
I'm hoping the new apple tv 4k box out soon solves this, if not then major fail :(
Can you just knock the black level back one? brightness or whatever sony call it.

I'm hoping the new apple tv 4k box out soon solves this, if not then major fail :(
Can you just knock the black level back one? brightness or whatever sony call it.
Yeah I keep seeing d nice saying it’s a hardware issue with Apple TV? Maybe new version won’t have it

Does eArc not sort out the audio delay issues (that’s assuming your AVR supports eArc).
I used to have audio issues with my E7 connected to a Yamaha Avr that had eArc. My C9 doesn’t have any, assumed it was eArc at work ..
Dunno - the TV doesn't support it. It supports ARC, (and the amp supports eARC) but when I try it, I don't get any sound. Maybe ARC and eARC are not compatible? It's not something I am very clued up about, tbh.

Arc and earc should have no compatibility issues which has been Bourne out by some of my own kit which have worked seamlessly when linked together

4K 120Hz SDR is fine, 4K 120Hz HDR introduces banding in the image. It is not sure yet whether this is a hardware limitation or something that can be fixed by firmware.

Edit - it is worth mentioning that LG OLEDs have similar issues with banding, but for some reason they don't draw the same criticism as Sony. If anything the Sony set produces better results than any LG manages with 120Hz SDR as Sony has far better processing.

Banding is probably LG's weakest area, trouble with the A90J is that the TV is also reducing resolution, like the XH90, but not as badly, also like the JS1500/2000 too, which Panasonic have admitted to.

Just testing the 'OK Google' hands free voice function on the TV and it works really well, can turn tv on/off, change inputs etc.. all hands free.

Front mic indicator can be turned off in the settings, if you don't like that showing.

Funny thing is when you ask google asistant to 'turn the TV on', the on screen display message says 'turning tv off 'and says 'turning on', when you've ask to turn off lol 🤣

Just testing the 'OK Google' hands free voice function on the TV and it works really well, can turn tv on/off, change inputs etc.. all hands free.

Front mic indicator can be turned off in the settings, if you don't like that showing.

Funny thing is when you ask google asistant to 'turn the TV on', the on screen display message says 'turning tv off 'and says 'turning on', when you've ask to turn off lol 🤣
Ah cool, I mind when I tried it on a sony a while back, Soon as you turned it on for hands free voice an amber led came on and you couldn't turn it off, So that LED can be turned off now?
LED's on the tv while watching is a big nop from me.

Yeah it seems to work a lot better than I was expecting. My wife normally hates my new tv’s but this has turned her around. She managed to turn it on, launch Netflix and get it playing one of her shows without picking up the remote.

Ah cool, I mind when I tried it on a sony a while back, Soon as you turned it on for hands free voice an amber led came on and you couldn't turn it off, So that LED can be turned off now?
LED's on the tv while watching is a big nop from me.

Yeah, can be turned off so no led's on the tv, i don't like any led's showing either, have darkened out my other kit with a sticker pack you can buy just for this purpose.

Yeah, can be turned off so no led's on the tv, i don't like any led's showing either, have darkened out my other kit with a sticker pack you can buy just for this purpose.
Sounds good, got a Sony A84J 77" on order and it has hands free built in mic so will give it another whirl :thumbsup:

Hello Mr Gumble! There's no exact right or wrong here as many argue the benefits of 2.2 vs 2.4 and vice versa.

On the Sonys, Gamma at 0 = 2.2 and -2 = 2.4, bizarre I know. Personally, I watch in a dark room and prefer -2 (2.4) for the extra contrast and pop it produces. You may prefer 0 (2.2) if you like a more even image, or indeed 0 works to retain more shadow and mids details in brighter conditions (during day time viewing, for example).

This gets muddied a little bit with HDR, as there isn't technically a gamma in HDR content... so the slider on the Sonys becomes a manipulative tool (but its there because of the way Sonys map their SDR configurations to HDR, mainly affect you if you calibrate). HDR content should have the gamma at 0 for correct tracking... fortunately the Sonys retain the different settings for SDR and HDR within the same picture mode when it comes to Gamma, so if you want dark room excellence set to -2 in SDR, and then 0 when feeding it an HDR signal and it will always change depending on source, even on the same input. :)

As for Colour, Expert 1 is the most accurate out of the box and closest to D65. In my preference any of the others are too blueish, but that's how I like my images (closest to creator's intent). The main advantage of Expert 1 is access to the 20pt calibration controls... I don't believe they are accessible in the non-Custom for Pro modes though. As for "Warm 2", I'm guessing you mean that being the most accurate temperature on another brand (LG?), in which case, Expert 1 or 2 will match that as far as out of the box settings.

Hope that helps you sir! 👍🏻
Once you unlock custom 1 and custom 2, you gain 20 point control for every picture mode including vivid. However, any 20 point adjustments you make in custom are then applied to all the picture modes. And then if you make an adjustment in standard for example, it applies to changes to all the other modes. Doesn't make sense, but any 20 point adjustment you make in any picture mode, becomes a universal change for all picture modes. The only thing that doesnt change is the CMS settings. At least with each picture mode you could have a different set of CMS values.

Last edited:
Once you unlock custom 1 and custom 2, you gain 20 point control for every picture mode including vivid. However, any 20 point adjustments you make in custom are then applied to all the picture modes. And then if you make an adjustment in standard for example, it applies to changes to all the other modes. Doesn't make sense, but any 20 point adjustment you make in any picture mode, becomes a universal change for all picture modes. The only thing that doesnt change is the CMS settings. At least with each picture mode you could have a different set of CMS values.
Do you mind if I ask what you have your brightness set at for SDR please @wxman2003 ?

I've been experimenting with different material most of the day. At first I was sold on it being set at 40, then tried 35 which I felt is a little too dark. I reckon ideally it should be somewhere in between possibly but, no higher than 40.

I can't remember the figure that broadcast SDR material is mastered in, is it something like a 100nits? Maybe somebody better informed knows.

I'm curious to know the measurement in nits of the brightness with it set at 40.

@Doctor Bravestone if I were to tell you what I've disabled under 'custom', would you be kind enough to please correct me if I've disabled something in error thinking it is adding processing to the image or is actually detrimental to the PQ?

Ambient light sensor = off

Brightness = 40

Reality Creation = off

Smooth gradation = off

Motionflow = off

Film mode = Low

Anything else not mentioned hasn't been adjusted and obviously for streaming apps Film mode = High.

I appreciate anybodies input in fact, I don't wish to monopolise your time Mr Bravestone:).

Last edited:

Same issue here. Kind of makes having picture presets useless.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom