Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

My 65A90J will be showing up in a few hours. Replacing the Samsung 75QN90A that has been nothing but problems for the last 2 weeks.
Got all excited, until I hovered over the username and saw '- From USA' 😭

Enjoy @wxman2003 :smashin:

The most disturbing thing about that video is how the G1 somehow handles near black worse than the GX. LG have long been weak in this area, but it is troubling, and far more of a worry than a pink tint when watching at extreme angles. Hopefully it isn't replicated in the A90J

Has anyone seen any details on what SOC this TV has and also the A80 please?
I'm interested to know how snappy the UI is and whether the A90 is any better than the A80.

Got my 65A90J a few hours ago. Running some break in slides. TV is virtually flawless out of the box. Here is a full white slide. The blue tint is caused by the camera. It is white. I didn't see any banding in the near black, but tv will need to run it's first 10 minute comp cycle after 4 hours of operation. There is a red tint off axis, but I don't see it until you get close to 60 degrees off axis. HDR is really impressive on this tv. Blows away my E6. It is a February build. First tv I have owned that I dont need to return because of QC issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3389.JPG
    IMG_3389.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 141
Got my 65A90J a few hours ago. Running some break in slides. TV is virtually flawless out of the box. Here is a full white slide. The blue tint is caused by the camera. It is white. I didn't see any banding in the near black, but tv will need to run it's first 10 minute comp cycle after 4 hours of operation. There is a red tint off axis, but I don't see it until you get close to 60 degrees off axis. HDR is really impressive on this tv. Blows away my E6. It is a February build. First tv I have owned that I dont need to return because of QC issues.
What size?edit seen it👍

Just had an email from Sony for my order. Looking good for shipping on the 23rd.

“Given the imminent arrival of the A90J, Sony and Google are working around the clock to provide the best possible experience for our customers. Our new 2021 Sony TVs will be shipped on 23rd April as originally communicated. For the time being, the catch-up services will not be available. Nevertheless, Sony and Google are discussing with YouView to provide catchup services such as BBC iPlayer, ITV, All4, and My5 as soon as possible for customers to access and enjoy via a software update in the future. This will enhance our audience’s viewing experience of our Google TV models which offer access to over 7,000 apps, Chromecast, and Airplay. All parties involved are working hard to ensure the catch-up services are made available as soon as possible and as promised earlier, we will be keeping you updated on this.”

So I'm still telling myself I will have the TV on the 26th, Anything sooner will be a bonus.

Just had an email from Sony for my order. Looking good for shipping on the 23rd.

“Given the imminent arrival of the A90J, Sony and Google are working around the clock to provide the best possible experience for our customers. Our new 2021 Sony TVs will be shipped on 23rd April as originally communicated. For the time being, the catch-up services will not be available. Nevertheless, Sony and Google are discussing with YouView to provide catchup services such as BBC iPlayer, ITV, All4, and My5 as soon as possible for customers to access and enjoy via a software update in the future. This will enhance our audience’s viewing experience of our Google TV models which offer access to over 7,000 apps, Chromecast, and Airplay. All parties involved are working hard to ensure the catch-up services are made available as soon as possible and as promised earlier, we will be keeping you updated on this.”

So I'm still telling myself I will have the TV on the 26th, Anything sooner will be a bonus.
Big congratulations 👍

Ok. Update on my 65A90J.

I have calibrated my 65 inch last night after some 20 hours of use to d-nice WP.

I can confirm that his posted settings including 20 point greyscale are indeed very good, DE errors of max. 3 so for those not calibrating they are excellent to go with.

My tv after calibration greyscale 0,2 avg and color 0,5! so superb results.

The ootb problems are gone: no more tinting, no more grid in bright white, so i now have the cleanest oled panel i have ever seen.

The PQ in HDR is unbelievable, 3D like and those spectacular highlights rival lcd light cannon quality.

The new video processor really delivers.

Hope for the UK guts that you can enjoy the best tv of the year really soon too.

What on Earth does this mean?!

Edit: No YouView on release.

He did say this

Reading between the lines, not certain, but it would look like the delay may have been due to technical issues around Youview. We have seen this type of issue in the past with other brands. As it is a new platform (Android TV) All of the providers BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 have to sign off they are happy with the operation of their service on the platform. All is needed is one of the providers services not to function as expected and it delays all of the others. We don’t believe it will cause many issues as many users will have Sky, Virgin, Playstation, Xbox or other smart device attached to provide the service in the meantime.

Last edited:
s was
No Catch Up TV for BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 when released.

He did say this

Reading between the lines, not certain, but it would look like the delay may have been due to technical issues around Youview. We have seen this type of issue in the past with other brands. As it is a new platform (Android TV) All of the providers BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5 have to sign off they are happy with the operation of their service on the platform. All is needed is one of the providers services not to function as expected and it delays all of the others. We don’t believe it will cause many issues as many users will have Sky, Virgin, Playstation, Xbox or other smart device attached to provide the service in the meantime.
So we are saying that the standalone iPlayer app for example won’t be available?! I find this difficult to believe. I’d be more inclined to think it has something to do with the youview integration specifically and not standalone apps.

s was

So we are saying that the standalone iPlayer app for example won’t be available?! I find this difficult to believe. I’d be more inclined to think it has something to do with the youview integration specifically and not standalone apps.

I'm sure it's YouView, Think I read it wrong, Don't think I've ever used YouView anyway.

Ok. Update on my 65A90J.

I have calibrated my 65 inch last night after some 20 hours of use to d-nice WP.

I can confirm that his posted settings including 20 point greyscale are indeed very good, DE errors of max. 3 so for those not calibrating they are excellent to go with.

My tv after calibration greyscale 0,2 avg and color 0,5! so superb results.

The ootb problems are gone: no more tinting, no more grid in bright white, so i now have the cleanest oled panel i have ever seen.

The PQ in HDR is unbelievable, 3D like and those spectacular highlights rival lcd light cannon quality.

The new video processor really delivers.

Hope for the UK guts that you can enjoy the best tv of the year really soon too.
Did you measure the out of the box settings for dE errors? I'm surprised that D-Nice's are more accurate than those.

We don’t believe it will cause many issues as many users will have Sky, Virgin, Playstation, Xbox or other smart device attached to provide the service in the meantime.
Many people also move to Android TV devices like the Shield Pro for this reason. Pretty much got every angle covered and everything in one place due to its mass-market popularity with phones. For example, You can't get the BT Sport App on an LG Smart TV because of some licensing and compatibility issue with their WebOS, So you have to install/use it through either an attached XBOX/PC app. SkyQ's boxes are locked down as to what you can install on them too, very little flexibility there at all.

Now TV is still not on Nvidia's system. Not a massive deal as the TV will have an app for that service.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom