Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Thank you, I should have given more context. It's a large kitchen dinning room with a small sofa in front. Tv will be on the wall perpendicular to a large bifold glass door.
The G1 might not have a good enough sound and doesn't have android TV which I use with kodi. We don't want to plug a streaming device, hence android TV.
The question is with people mentioning brightness, will it still be fine since the sun will not shine directly but the TV will be next to the glass folding door.

I apologise for the levity in my previous post re your kitchen etc:).

I thought I was pushing the boat out when considering a second portable speaker for our home, one to go in the kitchen. That's what I call extravagant in our home.

I'm currently unfamiliar with Sony presets due to not having a Sony TV for over thirteen years but, on the LGs, you have the isf day and night options and for colour accuracy, you normally would be advised to use one of those.

It's my understanding those options are present on Sony's but, you have to unlock them somehow. If you're able to, I would suggest trying to use the isf day in a bright room. Most options that can cause things like SOE should be disabled.

I apologise for the levity in my previous post re your kitchen etc:).

I thought I was pushing the boat out when considering a second portable speaker for our home, one to go in the kitchen. That's what I call extravagant in our home.

I'm currently unfamiliar with Sony presets due to not having a Sony TV for over thirteen years but, on the LGs, you have the isf day and night options and for colour accuracy, you normally would be advised to use one of those.

It's my understanding those options are present on Sony's but, you have to unlock them somehow. If you're able to, I would suggest trying to use the isf day in a bright room. Most options that can cause things like SOE should be disabled.
Thanks ( we have a surround sound system in another room, the idea is to keep it as minimal. I will order the sony and hope it is fine (still overkill ) but if it is good my next negotiation with the wife is to get the 83 inch for the TV room . I am ashamed to say that most the TV will see is Teen Titans Go for my son & Real housewives for her ( my wife said not to tell anyone)

Thanks ( we have a surround sound system in another room, the idea is to keep it as minimal. I will order the sony and hope it is fine (still overkill ) but if it is good my next negotiation with the wife is to get the 83 inch for the TV room . I am ashamed to say that most the TV will see is Teen Titans Go for my son & Real housewives for her ( my wife said not to tell anyone)
If you've not had an OLED before and your son watches (lots of) kids TV, you should just be wary of the logos they employ on kids TV channels but, again, only if he's watching hours per day, regularly.

Image retention builds over time but, it is still quite rare, even more so on these newer sets that have features to offset the problem built-in and these new EVO panels on the A90J and G1 also use less energy.

If he's watching via the likes of Netflix, then there's no logo and no issue.

If you've not had an OLED before and your son watches (lots of) kids TV, you should just be wary of the logos they employ on kids TV channels but, again, only if he's watching hours per day, regularly.

Image retention builds over time but, it is still quite rare, even more so on these newer sets that have features to offset the problem built-in and these new EVO panels on the A90J and G1 also use less energy.

If he's watching via the likes of Netflix, then there's no logo and no issue.
thanks we don't have regular tv only Netflix/prime & disney. I guess I will have to order it. Wife don't care about the TV, I just want the best then be done for 5 years.

Bravia Core is a bust then - no Atmos and no DV.

It will need to evolve and quick otherwise there will be no takers beyond the free period.
Sounds like it's all a bit incremental, with lower consistent peak brightness than an HZ2000. If the JZ2000 has the new panel + the heatsink, it's going to blow it into the weeds.

Sounds like it's all a bit incremental, with lower consistent peak brightness than an HZ2000. If the JZ2000 has the new panel + the heatsink, it's going to blow it into the weeds.

Personally, I won't buy Panasonic. If VT's review of the A90J is similarly underwhelming, I'll stick with the devil I know and go for the G1.

But still have the unbearable micro stutter.

Personally, I won't buy Panasonic. If VT's review of the A90J is similarly underwhelming, I'll stick with the devil I know and go for the G1.
Not suggesting you should buy Panasonic, not suggesting anyone shouldn't buy Sony. Each to their own.

Doesn't the Panasonic only boost white pixels though to achieve that brightness? I think the Sony takes a different approach.

The proof of the pudding.....

Look at reviews from what hifi for example. They rate certain products with 5 stars but they are rubbish. When my set turns up I'll hope its working as I want it and I personally don't care what nit numbers are so long as the pq is good. Simple as.

Look at reviews from what hifi for example. They rate certain products with 5 stars but they are rubbish. When my set turns up I'll hope its working as I want it and I personally don't care what nit numbers are so long as the pq is good. Simple as.

I can't afford to make a mistake as getting TVs swapped for me means relying on the generosity of my family, well, my brother-in-law.

So, I rely on reviews so as not to pick a lemon.

I respect the view of Flat Panels more than Rtings but, my opinion, and money, will be spent depending on what VT and AV Forums reviewers say.

Their reviews can't come quick enough because I will need to change my pre-order to a G1 pretty quickly before my order is fulfilled... sometime in 2023:rolleyes:.

Doesn't the Panasonic only boost white pixels though to achieve that brightness? I think the Sony takes a different approach.
Yes, but it's effective. Although it's alleged to cause desaturation of colours, in the real world that doesn't seem to be the case. Although Sony use the same WOLED panel of course.

Just as a quick aside Kev - as you know I don't share your issues with 24Hz material, but have had occasional issues with 50Hz, so recently been experimenting. I used to have IFC on min, but I have now shut that off totally and am using BFI on min instead - which I find better.

What clinched it for me was the ultimate torture test - scrolling through Sky programmes horizontally at the bottom of the screen - using BFI, it is 90% better than with IFC. I haven't noticed any flickering at all with it. Perhaps slightly darker picture, so I just upped the luminance a couple of clicks.

So worth trying with your new TV if you need to.

Yer, the reviewer is really downbeat and hard on the A90J.

However, I've re-read the review and the A90J is their highest ever scoring TV?!

Very odd.
I didn't read it that way at all. He was very positive about the PQ I thought, he just made the point that with all OLEDs using the same panel, there isn't any massive differentiation between them, which is fair enough.

He was a bit down on Bravia Core, but then it does sound a bit half ars*d. That's only a minor issue overall though. I think the problem is that this TV has been so overhyped prior to release that anything other than a mega glowing review declaring it the bestest, brightest OLED in the history of the whole world comes across as a bit of a disappointment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom