Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

This is the Sony UK site yeah? I am led to believe that stock was due in over the weekend. Could have arrived at some retailers a little earlier I guess.

3 stars though??? Probably a Panny/LG/Sammy fanboy having a laugh!!

Exactly this ^^^

I've been thinking about the VT video overnight (what a life!) and something concerns me...

VT mentions right at the beginning that the menu looks like it is in HDR.

Now, Sony have this bloody annoying habit of the weird way they implement HDR. Via their 4K UHD spinners, you have to toggle DV on or off, it isn't automatic. This is why I own DP-UB820 instead of a Sony X800M2.

I've got the PS5 and for some inexplicable reason, they've taken the unnecessary decision to do the same. They have the option to set HDR to 'auto;, which is the default, but there's nothing automatic about it - HDR is on all the time for everything, including the menus. And not every game has been natively rendered in HDR.

So, I've disabled it altogether but, check on a games list which games are actually in HDR and which aren't.

I hope there is some way to disable HDR for menus because it really isn't required.

Maybe an owner would be kind enough to check please?
Didn't he just say the opening scene looked HDR, its the same scene as the AG9 firmware

I've also purchased the a90j. This is my first oled and first 65. I'm getting it from the Sony center Carlisle. I was originally going get it from JL but they ran out 65. Looked and currys they to sold out. Any how manged get one from sony center. And I'm getting the new 1000m4 headphones already have the m3's.

They also said they cover burn in for 5 year and if I see and defects they going replace the tv as well. I rent them yesterday and said they not in the country yet. And I was one first to get mine. Not to sure that.

Hoping get it next week. Like rest of you.

I'm thinking of getting the tv calibrated. Or even try do it myself.

I'm wondering what what the sound fro. Tv going be like for center speaker used in a 5.1.2 system.

I've got a:-
p5 for games
Nvidia shield pro. Wifi speed 155 wired 156 mbs.
Sony x700 bluray player.
Onkyo amp acts as switcher for everything except for ps5.

I've also purchased the a90j. This is my first oled and first 65. I'm getting it from the Sony center Carlisle. I was originally going get it from JL but they ran out 65. Looked and currys they to sold out. Any how manged get one from sony center. And I'm getting the new 1000m4 headphones already have the m3's.

They also said they cover burn in for 5 year and if I see and defects they going replace the tv as well. I rent them yesterday and said they not in the country yet. And I was one first to get mine. Not to sure that.

I'm wondering what what the sound fro. Tv going be like for center speaker used in a 5.1.2 system.

p5 for games
Sony x700 bluray player.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

I know pics aren't the same as seeing the set in person but everyone who is getting one, feel free to post plenty of pictures playing all the go to eye candy like MCU, LOTR etc. Like to live vicariously 😂.
Pics are not doing it justice. Specular highlights are tough to measure or to picture.

The sony web site has a customer review posted on it - 3stars - now given there are about 3 sets currently known to exist in the UK who is it?????? Miss Marple get your skates on.

Or more likely some one is rating the wrong the TV model :thumbsdow
I reckon it was @jmacc trying to get those that ordered to cancel so he gets his sooner :laugh:

p5 for games
Sony x700 bluray player.
You say that the 5 year warranty covers against screen burn who is the warranty with as apart from jl’s extra 5 year warranty which actually says it covers screen burn I’ve not heard of any manufacturer offer a warranty for screen burn on a OLED-I would ask for it in writing.

I spoke to the Sony shop and mentioned JL 5 year protection of screen burn. They said they would cover for it. I'm going make sure that screen burn is covered for the 5 years.

I spoke to the Sony shop and mentioned JL 5 year protection of screen burn. They said they would cover for it. I'm going make sure that screen burn is covered for the 5 years.
need to get that in writing mate :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply I was ordering mine from jl just because of their extra warranty but with all the jl’s stores closing I’m a little bit worried but getting one direct from Sony with the same warranty cover would be much better as I cannot see Sony going out of business 😁

The tv warranty is direct with Sony , so IF screen burn is going to be covered it will be at the stores discretion, not via the Sony warranty , as has already been mentioned , GET IT IN WRITING

So for some who hasn’t been to the forum across the pond, have we had any uniformity pictures in here yet?

So for some who hasn’t been to the forum across the pond, have we had any uniformity pictures in here yet?

I'm going have to say no. I don't think anyone in the UK has there UK version a90j yet.
We only have a handful of European & Canadian A90J owners who grace this thread so far. None have reported any major issues as of yet and so far are very happy with what they're seeing.

Hoping UK distribution starts next week, 3rd week of April at the latest. 🤞

John Lewis still saying ‘within four weeks’ here in the U.K. but lots of noise saying next week. Which is it?!

John Lewis still saying ‘within four weeks’ here in the U.K. but lots of noise saying next week. Which is it?!
Who knows Toby... Basically it's JL's Website v's JL's Customer Services. One says one date while the other says another!! :confused:

The website says that and that might be for new orders. A few of us have had orders in between 4-6 weeks already. All I know is I was told I would be contacted Monday to arrange delivery. If that doesn't happen just have to wait.

However she did ring the supplier whilst I was on the phone and that's what she was told. We will know soon enough.

These types of things are always changeable anyway

Last edited:

I think I ordered from RS the same day as you, going by one of your previous posts, and my store is not committing to a date, but has confirmed, my order will be fulfilled via the first batch.

That said, I'm not sweating on it. I've asked once re delivery and that's all I will do.

For me, it will get here when it gets here:thumbsup:.

5% gray scale on YouTube. In total darkness of course
Full darkness might be hard to do. Buy I'll have stay up past midnight to try it. B the installer had one tv he sent back. Tbh thoe I dowt I'd see it but want try make sure if I. Spending £3500.

How did I miss this thread. Hoping for that phone call on Monday!
Get it on yer Watchlist fella (without the email notifications)... :smashin:
This will be the thread of all threads when us UK folks all get our A90J's...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom