Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

It may not require it but their own service recommends a higher speed.
The would of thought the higher recommend speed is not for the TV service, more so you have 80mbps free at all times for the service. It only takes someone else on the house to stick UHD Netflix on and the bravia core will reduce its quality of it can’t maintain 80mbps from the router. That is why I assume they say faster for a ‘optimal’ viewing, words to that effect. 81mbps should be enough for the Pure Stream service, with not network interruptions. It just depends on how much tolerance Sony want to give.

Sony chipsets also have a low buffering zone size too so I would of thought speed about 100mbps wouldnt offer much of a buffer anyway. This is the reason I use a Shield Pro for 100mbps remuxes on my Sony Oleds.

That being said, Sony should include a 1gbps network port, they are so cheap.

Last edited:
I have the 55" on order from John Lewis - still saying 5 weeks to delivery 😥

Just getting everything ready to go but have a question about the aerial connection. From all the press shots I have seen, there seems to be just this on the back:

1617877654372.png

Question is, how do you then connect this kind of cable for Freeview?

1617877727760.png

I realise that this is probably a very noob question, but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

I have the 55" on order from John Lewis - still saying 5 weeks to delivery 😥

Just getting everything ready to go but have a question about the aerial connection. From all the press shots I have seen, there seems to be just this on the back:

View attachment 1490852

Question is, how do you then connect this kind of cable for Freeview?

View attachment 1490857
I realise that this is probably a very noob question, but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

Thanks in advance!
These aerial ports change from region to region, I'd wait and see what's on the back of the Europe model before buying anything..

Just got off the phone with John Lewis for an update. they rang Sony while i was on the phone the stock is coming into JL warehouses on Monday 12th April...they will be ringing me on Monday to arrange delivery. I don't know whether this applies to everyone, my order went in 15th March and I'm based in the northwest although for online orders don't think that matters.

Just got off the phone with John Lewis for an update. they rang Sony while i was on the phone the stock is coming into JL warehouses on Monday 12th April...they will be ringing me on Monday to arrange delivery. I don't know whether this applies to everyone, my order went in 15th March and I'm based in the northwest although for online orders don't think that matters.
Now that is excellent news, best I've heard in a month.

I was a 5th March pre-orderer (65") with John Lewis and am based in Oxfordshire, so looking like the middle to end of next week if these are indeed the facts. Perfect timing before my boys birthday who will be having my old LG. Phew....

Ordered my 55” on the 26th March. Based just outside london in Dartford so fingers crossed!

sounds promising... my order is with richersounds ireland... ill drop them an email to see if anything stirring their end.. they did say they get stock updates every few days... ive bit of painting to get done in the living room so if its end of april ill be happy

Richersounds still have end of April as their date. Nothing more specific

Let's hope JL are right for everyone! I always take these things with a pinch of salt until its confirmed.

I know pics aren't the same as seeing the set in person but everyone who is getting one, feel free to post plenty of pictures playing all the go to eye candy like MCU, LOTR etc. Like to live vicariously 😂.

Ha ha ha.. Wish we all had the dough to import our sets from the US.
Guess we're not the only ones that are impatient and looks like he was starting to feel left behind after the plethora of unboxing vids for this set around other parts of the world.

What does he do if that's a bad set or develops issues? I guess he just chucks it and buys another one next week when they're available in the UK... More money than sense some people!!

Ha ha ha.. Wish we all had the dough to import our sets from the US.
Guess we're not the only ones that are impatient and looks like he was starting to feel left behind after the plethora of unboxing vids for this set around other parts of the world.

What does he do if that's a bad set or develops issues? I guess he just chucks it and buys another one next week when they're available in the UK... More money than sense some people!!
With 300,000 subscribers trust me he's raking it in! And good luck to him probably being economical with the truth over the cost.be interesting to his thoughts as that quantum fella has trashed the Sony on purpose and people believe him!

Last edited:
Hey guys, got my 65" 2 days ago. The TV is amazing!!!

I know that OLEDs have weird widespread warped screens which is fine. But on my panel I have one "pinched" spot that is bugging me big time. Everytime I walk by and see the reflection it looks like the screen has a dent. Would you say this is normal?

Link to video (Better visible in motion):
Download Video

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-09 um 10.22.29.png

Hey guys, got my 65" 2 days ago. The TV is amazing!!!

I know that OLEDs have weird widespread warped screens which is fine. But on my panel I have one "pinched" spot that is bugging me big time. Everytime I walk by and see the reflection it looks like the screen has a dent. Would you say this is normal?

Link to video (Better visible in motion):
Download Video

View attachment 1491392
Can you see it during normal viewing? If not wouldn't worry about it

Apparently the reflection is normal. It’s mentioned on avs forum

Apparently the reflection is normal. It’s mentioned on avs forum
Fairly normal for oleds to have this to varying degrees.

it is not as d-nice arrogantly replied to someone and said because of Sony's acoustic surface though, I guess he can't be right all the time :smoke:

I remember around 2016 a lot of the b6 55" oled models had a right big circle pinch to the bottom right of the screen, this was like a proper big dent the size of an apple, looked terrible in reflections but not really noticeable when the screen was on unless you have reflection problems in your room anyway.

Last edited:

I've been thinking about the VT video overnight (what a life!) and something concerns me...

VT mentions right at the beginning that the menu looks like it is in HDR.

Now, Sony have this bloody annoying habit of the weird way they implement HDR. Via their 4K UHD spinners, you have to toggle DV on or off, it isn't automatic. This is why I own DP-UB820 instead of a Sony X800M2.

I've got the PS5 and for some inexplicable reason, they've taken the unnecessary decision to do the same. They have the option to set HDR to 'auto;, which is the default, but there's nothing automatic about it - HDR is on all the time for everything, including the menus. And not every game has been natively rendered in HDR.

So, I've disabled it altogether but, check on a games list which games are actually in HDR and which aren't.

I hope there is some way to disable HDR for menus because it really isn't required.

Maybe an owner would be kind enough to check please?

The sony web site has a customer review posted on it - 3stars - now given there are about 3 sets currently known to exist in the UK who is it?????? Miss Marple get your skates on.

Or more likely some one is rating the wrong the TV model :thumbsdow

The sony web site has a customer review posted on it - 3stars - now given there are about 3 sets currently known to exist in the UK who is it?????? Miss Marple get your skates on.

Or more likely some one is rating the wrong the TV model :thumbsdow
This is the Sony UK site yeah? I am led to believe that stock was due in over the weekend. Could have arrived at some retailers a little earlier I guess.

3 stars though??? Probably a Panny/LG/Sammy fanboy having a laugh!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom