Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I'd imagine 100mb Ethernet would be sufficient, the 126mb recommended I imagine is to include for overheads for say if someone else is using the broadband in your house, or your devices are downloading updates etc and eating into the bandwidth.
I guess it all depends if the Bravia core app does some sort of speed test in the background before deciding what content to push. I wonder if it even makes it clear if people are getting the full quality stream or not...

I guess it all depends if the Bravia core app does some sort of speed test in the background before deciding what content to push. I wonder if it even makes it clear if people are getting the full quality stream or not...
or just connect by WiFi or get a usb to gigabit ethernet adapter.. bout time they just included a gigabit port though.. 2021 and all that..

or just connect by WiFi or get a usb to gigabit ethernet adapter.. bout time they just included a gigabit port though.. 2021 and all that..
Completely agree! Feels like such an odd feature to skimp on! Next thing you know there’ll be TVs on sale that don’t come with a stand in the box! 😂

Completely agree! Feels like such an odd feature to skimp on! Next thing you know there’ll be TVs on sale that don’t come with a stand in the box! 😂
LG with their super short power cable.. :facepalm::facepalm:
like come one.. would 0.5m extra hurt?

Remember that due to the Ethernet port in the Sony you will only get the higher 80mbps quality movies if you connect via WiFi
Ah damn, are you saying the Sony port can’t support my full 220mps?

If this is the case I’ll use the wifi hoping it is better than my old C7.

Ah damn, are you saying the Sony port can’t support my full 220mps?

If this is the case I’ll use the wifi hoping it is better than my old C7.
Unfortunately yes they are still using a port with max speed of 100mbps. Nobody really knows why!

LG with their super short power cable.. :facepalm::facepalm:
like come one.. would 0.5m extra hurt?
Remember wall mounting my current 49" LG in my old garden office. The plug barely dropped half way down the wall and I needed it to sit in a surge protecting 4-gang sat on the floor 2-3 feet away..!! Went even shorter when I cabled it in trunking!! Ridiculous thought process from LG...

Yes I did. I just watched the free content for now. Waiting to spend my 10 credits on stuff I really want to see and that I can’t access anywhere else. It works fine and didn’t have any streaming issue of any kind. My internet speed is 220mps and I use an ethernet cable because I don’t trust wifi with the TV (my old LG C7 would lose signal or get real slow at times) so this is not an issue for me.

I think this is a nice perk from Sony!

Argh, son of a nutcracker! I think I may be screwed here.

Well, I mean at the least it means I won't be able to benefit from the best PQ possible via that Sony service due to the limitations of our ISP.

We can only get 'up to 76Mps' which, in the real world, translates to 62Mbps BUT, all my AV gear is connected to an un-managed switch and Sky Q does it's best to take all of that 62Mbps.

I may have to consider a managed switch and restrict Sky Q. Only really keep it for the sport, bloody Spurs - enough to drive me to drink, hookers and drugs... in fact, forget the hookers and the drink.

Bloody Spurs - enough to drive me to drink, hookers and drugs... in fact, forget the hookers and the drink.
Serves you right for being a Lilywhite!

Already bought a USB to gigabit ethernet adapter, just need the A90J to go with it lol. Probably end up not using it and be put in the cupboard next to the unused echo dot I bought 2019 along with other waste of money purchases I won't use :facepalm:

Not even sure I will still get the Sony due to the uniformity issues,just need to see what the uniformity is like with the early adopters.

So plenty of slides needed :smashin:

Already bought a USB to gigabit ethernet adapter, just need the A90J to go with it lol. Probably end up not using it and be put in the cupboard next to the unused echo dot I bought 2019 along with other waste of money purchases I won't use :facepalm:

Not even sure I will still get the Sony due to the uniformity issues,just need to see what the uniformity is like with the early adopters.

Exactly the same here :rolleyes: :rotfl::laugh:

image.jpg

Follow up.
I tested my connection speed using Netflix, I was at 60mbps with ethernet cable!
Switched to wifi and hit 220mbps!! I thought I was smart using the ethernet... thank you guys!

Side note, I don’t see a web browser nowhere in the menu. Am I nuts? My 4 yo LG had a very poor but nonetheless functioning web browser. Is it there and I’m too blind to see it or does Sony just don’t care about that?

Got Ubiquiti UniFi PoE Access Points in my gaff. In fact, one AP is in my office on the wall and the TV will be sat directly underneath it... :D

Can already stream 4KHDR Dolby Atmos content smoothly over the internal WiFi network between my Nvidia Shield Pro & Plex Server (Mini-PC) and the AP's are being fed their external internet bandwidth from a Virgin Media Hub with 200 Mbps DL speed. So all cableless for me. :clap:

Follow up.
I tested my connection speed using Netflix, I was at 60mbps with ethernet cable!
Switched to wifi and hit 220mbps!! I thought I was smart using the ethernet... thank you guys!

Side note, I don’t see a web browser nowhere in the menu. Am I nuts? My 4 yo LG had a very poor but nonetheless functioning web browser. Is it there and I’m too blind to see it or does Sony just don’t care about that?
Its Google TV buddy, so Chrome has got to be lurking in there somewhere, probably an App download though... :smashin:

Its Google TV buddy, so Chrome has got to be lurking in there somewhere, probably an App download though... :smashin:
It’s what I believe but I can’t find anything... 🤷‍♂️
I’ll give it another try tonight.

Don't worry my good man, I will be testing for DSE, banding, uniformity vignetting as soon as I get it!!!

Follow up.

Do you have a 65 inch? If so have you checked uniformity and any other issues?

I did the YouTube tests for DSE, uniformity and banding and couldn’t find anything. That’s as good a set as I could hope.
Great and its 55 or 65?

Unfortunately yes they are still using a port with max speed of 100mbps. Nobody really knows why!
These TVs have nothing official that requires over 100mbps so it don’t require anything over 100mbps, so there is no need for it.

These TVs have nothing official that requires over 100mbps so it don’t require anything over 100mbps, so there is no need for it.
It may not require it but their own service recommends a higher speed.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom