Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

The panels are manufactured in different places for different reasons Poland for us, Mexico for the Americans and Japan I believe. I'm wondering if it makes a difference in the panel lottery? There are good 65" out there. B the installer got a dude and his second 65 inch was a good one.

USA ones are assembled in Mexico. Europe ones assembled in Slovakia or some place like that, Asia ones in Japan.
All parts still come from Asia, they are just assembled locally to that regions as it works out cheaper for import fees etc in the long run by shipping parts rather than full products.

Can any owners please comment on the sound quality on this set, which claimed to be the best of any TVs. The reason is that I would like to get rid of my budget Soundbar, which has a subwoofer and looks messy on the TV bench. I like to have a clean and uncluttered look on the TV bench, which I'll get a new white TV unit to have a contrast with the black TV.

I like to upgrade from my last gen 50 inch Pana Plasma to a high end 65 inch OLED.
My shortlist is:
A90J
JZ1500
G1
A90J - I'm leaning for the Sony but subject to satisfactory more reviews and then a price drop during the summer. As it is it's too bloody expensive around £3.5K. I'm expecting to be £3K around summer then I'll bite. Have to see Vincent's review for its near black performance against Pana JZ1500, if it's the same then, bring it on!

Why I'm leaning - It has the premium sound, the extra brightness and ace Sony upscaling/picture and all the TV apps with Google TV. Reverting back to my old Sony Trinitron ownership.

JZ1500 - Though I've been a Pana Plasma owner for my last 3 TVs,
I fear the current model will give me some heartache over it's OS and lack of popular built in apps. I've got a HD Firestick for my GT60 and don't want to plug in another Firestick 4K for a high end 2021 TV, to access popular streaming services also sharing smartphone video clips on the TV might be cumbersome. Though it'll have an excellent picture, comparable to A90J. Sound won't be as good as the A90J.

G1 - Never had a Korean branded TVs before. LG have refined their OLEDs with G1 being their best offering. Excellent OS system and brighter than previous years and above wall; best for wall mounting with their slim build, never mounted a TV on the wall before and this one would look ace! Why is not on top of my list: sound not as good as A90J, picture quality won't be good as the Sony/Pana and perceived quality control over Japanese sets.

I could get a high end Soundbar but I live in a terraced house and of course, you can't put the volume to a even a mid level in the evening, as I don't want to upset my neighbor, who normally don't complain about my TV noise, it's because I don't watch it loud on my current budget soundbar.

Can any owners please comment on the sound quality on this set, which claimed to be the best of any TVs. The reason is that I would like to get rid of my budget Soundbar, which has a subwoofer and looks messy on the TV bench. I like to have a clean and uncluttered look on the TV bench, which I'll get a new white TV unit to have a contrast with the black TV.

I like to upgrade from my last gen 50 inch Pana Plasma to a high end 65 inch OLED.
My shortlist is:
A90J
JZ1500
G1
A90J - I'm leaning for the Sony but subject to satisfactory more reviews and then a price drop during the summer. As it is it's too bloody expensive around £3.5K. I'm expecting to be £3K around summer then I'll bite. Have to see Vincent's review for its near black performance against Pana JZ1500, if it's the same then, bring it on!

Why I'm leaning - It has the premium sound, the extra brightness and ace Sony upscaling/picture and all the TV apps with Google TV. Reverting back to my old Sony Trinitron ownership.

I fear the current model will give me some heartache over it's OS and lack of popular built in apps. I've got a HD Firestick for my GT60 and don't want to plug in another Firestick 4K for a high end 2021 TV, to access popular streaming services also sharing smartphone video clips on the TV might be cumbersome. Though it'll have an excellent picture, comparable to A90J. Sound won't be as good as the A90J.

G1 - Never had a Korean branded TVs before. LG have refined their OLEDs with G1 being their best offering. Excellent OS system and brighter than previous years and above wall; best for wall mounting with their slim build, never mounted a TV on the wall before and this one would look ace! Why is not on top of my list: sound not as good as A90J, picture quality won't be good as the Sony/Pana and perceived quality control over Japanese sets.

I could get a high end Soundbar but I live in a terraced house and of course, you can't put the volume to a even a mid level in the evening, as I don't want to upset my neighbor, who normally don't complain about my TV noise, it's because I don't watch it loud on my current budget soundbar.
Be interested to hear the response to your queries on the sound too fella?

In exactly the same position, have an old 6-year Samsung Soundbar with a separate BT Sub and would like to de-clutter and preferably get rid completely.

I hear the Surround Sound effects are pretty good on the A90J's, nowhere near what an AV, SB and speaker setup are going to give you, but still very solid nonetheless.

My A90J, when it does arrive, will be in my office right next to my daughter's bedroom and right on top of the living room, so evening viewing will most likely be much quieter than normal daytime viewing, but would still like to know if you can still hear the spatial effects of both surround and atmos at lower volume levels.

Plan B has always been Headphones.

I've just read the review on rtings. They seem to be saying thats its not that much better than the A8.

My shortlist is:
A90J
JZ1500
G1

I am one of the lucky few who already owns an A90J. The sound is really good. I have a LG SJ9 soundbar and it is quite close. The soundbar is a bit better but the main difference is bass. The SJ9 comes with a pretty decent subwoofer so the TV just can’t win that one. However, sound quality is very good and even if the bass is not as deep as what I get from the subwoofer, it does have very very good bass for a TV. If I didn’t already have the soundbar, I’d be happy with the sound from the TV. If you don’t want to use a soundbar, this TV should right at the top of your list.

Regarding the G1, that’s the other TV i was considering with the A90J (and A9G). The picture quality is maybe not as good as the Sony, but we are splitting hair here I believe. However, in Canada the G1 is only 500$ less and you need a 100$ stand if you don’t want to wall mount it making it just 400$ less than the A90J, so for me the decision was easy. If the price difference been 1000$ or if I was a gamer, I’d have probably bought the G1.

Just chiming in - I have a 55” A90J on order from Richer Sounds (17th in queue apparently). This will replace my 3rd duff HZ2000 and hopefully will now be a keeper...

(first one had a load of faint horizontal lines appearing in bright content, next two had awful reverse vignetting)

Either way, I’m well excited for this set!!

Just chiming in - I have a 55” A90J on order from Richer Sounds (17th in queue apparently). This will replace my 3rd duff HZ2000 and hopefully will now be a keeper...

(first one had a load of faint horizontal lines appearing in bright content, next two had awful reverse vignetting)

Please let us know your comparisons from your experience with the HZ2000.

Please let us know your comparisons from your experience with the HZ2000

I am one of the lucky few who already owns an A90J. The sound is really good. I have a LG SJ9 soundbar and it is quite close. The soundbar is a bit better but the main difference is bass. The SJ9 comes with a pretty decent subwoofer so the TV just can’t win that one. However, sound quality is very good and even if the bass is not as deep as what I get from the subwoofer, it does have very very good bass for a TV. If I didn’t already have the soundbar, I’d be happy with the sound from the TV. If you don’t want to use a soundbar, this TV should right at the top of your list.

Regarding the G1, that’s the other TV i was considering with the A90J (and A9G). The picture quality is maybe not as good as the Sony, but we are splitting hair here I believe. However, in Canada the G1 is only 500$ less and you need a 100$ stand if you don’t want to wall mount it making it just 400$ less than the A90J, so for me the decision was easy. If the price difference been 1000$ or if I was a gamer, I’d have probably bought the G1.

I am a gamer, albeit a rather casual one but, my A90J will definitely be used for mixed content.

I don't play COD or anything like it (FPS shooters or FPS anything), more racing games and RPGs.

I'm really hoping for improvement in motion handling, compared to the C9 and a PQ when watching films that will make anyone watching go "WOW!"

I love the idea of the fitted bracket and flush finish with the G1 but, that's the only appealing thing (to me).

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the rather large and cumbersome bracket I have to something that will fit flush but, when you can't do these things yourself, it always feels like a bit of a burden to ask somebody else to do it.

I just think with our limited living room, a flush fitting TV to the wall will accentuate the aesthetics of the A90J, rather than having it sit proud and be able to see behind.

My wife keeps saying she wants a feature wall... I said I can always get a 65" TV and make that a feature wall as it would cover the wall the TV goes on.

I can't repeat her reply in polite company:eek:.

Ordered from Richer Sounds. So excited I joined this forum. Hoping to get some tips/tricks for optimum settings. Also hope it doesn't take too long to arrive, hoping for next week 🤞

Ordered from Richer Sounds. So excited I joined this forum. Hoping to get some tips/tricks for optimum settings. Also hope it doesn't take too long to arrive, hoping for next week 🤞
Congratulations my friend...did you get a delivery date or approximate yet?

@amgf have you tried the new Bravia CORE service yet via your A90J?

Sony recommend a minimum 43Mps D/L speed.

Actually, there's more here too - "BRAVIA CORE features Pure Stream which offers streaming between 30 Mbps – 80 Mbps. To access Pure Stream at 30 Mbps, you must have a minimum internet speed of 43 Mbps. To access highest quality Pure Stream available at 80 Mbps you must have a minimum internet speed of 115 Mbps," explained Sony.

Actually, there's more here too - "BRAVIA CORE features Pure Stream which offers streaming between 30 Mbps – 80 Mbps. To access Pure Stream at 30 Mbps, you must have a minimum internet speed of 43 Mbps. To access highest quality Pure Stream available at 80 Mbps you must have a minimum internet speed of 115 Mbps," explained Sony.
God bless Virgin Fibre Optic... I believe those figures are rather generously put out there.

"April" is the only approximate date so far! I think I remember them saying hoping for 14th April on the phone but couldn't be sure. In the meantime at least the free headphones are very good.
The G1 is £3000 the A90J is £3500 if you sell the headphones could get £200 bringing it to a£300 difference so really just about what you want.

"April" is the only approximate date so far! I think I remember them saying hoping for 14th April on the phone but couldn't be sure. In the meantime at least the free headphones are very good.
Same here - not sure what I will do with my free headphones but I do have some rowdy colleagues at work I’d like to tune out!! 🤣

I've just read the review on rtings. They seem to be saying thats its not that much better than the A8.

They completely ignore near-black handling differences. Most people looking at their measurements forget that they are often incomplete and don't tell the whole story. They're sometimes also innacurate, like they remeasured some of the 2020 OLEDs once they got new equipment and pre-calibration scores changed significantly.

Yes I did. I just watched the free content for now. Waiting to spend my 10 credits on stuff I really want to see and that I can’t access anywhere else. It works fine and didn’t have any streaming issue of any kind. My internet speed is 220mps and I use an ethernet cable because I don’t trust wifi with the TV (my old LG C7 would lose signal or get real slow at times) so this is not an issue for me.

I think this is a nice perk from Sony!

Yes I did. I just watched the free content for now. Waiting to spend my 10 credits on stuff I really want to see and that I can’t access anywhere else. It works fine and didn’t have any streaming issue of any kind. My internet speed is 220mps and I use an ethernet cable because I don’t trust wifi with the TV (my old LG C7 would lose signal or get real slow at times) so this is not an issue for me.

Sorry, I thought for purchasing the Master Series range TV we all got 12-24 months of all the Bravia Core features for free? What are these 'credits' ??

Sorry, I thought for purchasing the Master Series range TV we all got 12-24 months of all the Bravia Core features for free?
You do, you also get 10 free movies to keep forever once the 24 months is up.

Remember that due to the Ethernet port in the Sony you will only get the higher 80mbps quality movies if you connect via WiFi

You do, you also get 10 free movies to keep forever once the 24 months is up.
Phew... Thanks for the clari mac :smashin:

Remember that due to the Ethernet port in the Sony you will only get the higher 80mbps quality movies if you connect via WiFi
I'd imagine 100mb Ethernet would be sufficient, the 126mb recommended I imagine is to include for overheads for say if someone else is using the broadband in your house, or your devices are downloading updates etc and eating into the bandwidth.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom