Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Nothing like that on my side. The auto backlit functions turns on at the slightest touch and doesn’t need anything to be working. First push works every time for me.
It has IR as well, so I turned off BT and it's working better now. I still think there is a problem with the remote and Sony will send me one when they have it in stock.

Just got my 55” yesterday. Incredible picture quality but unfortunately there are hairline scratches visible on the glass screen in a bright room or under flash. Call me picky but for the money i just can’t see why Sony does not put a film protector like LG does for shipping. And the residue left over by the stickers does not clean very well. I am thinking of returning and trying another one.
Since I was having remote issues with my 55", I lit up the area on the bezel on my TV and saw scratches along the bottom plastic strip (maybe from the plastic bag rubbing against it during transport). I can't see it unless it's lit up as well, but I agree with you that it shouldn't have any marks on it whatsoever. I'm just wondering if in my case they found an issue with mine when testing and took it apart or worked on it.

My second replacement AG9 came with a screen protector all over the screen that I had to peel off, was a very satisfying experience, my first two OLED's didn't have it, very strange 🤔 I'm closely following this thread, and Hoping all of you get a nice aj90 set, I'm still rocking the A9G and probably will for the next two-three years, cheers all!

Zipping around apps, scrolling through Google TV, getting in and out of apps is a tad slow. Nothing that is affecting content watching in any way. And that stupid energy saver notification is still there every time you make a change in picture or sound settings.
This was a fear of mine, was hoping with the new tv and revamp of google tv they may have sorted it out :(
From the responses Sony have been giving to people it doesn't look likely they will change it either.
They just state it's part of new EU energy efficient rules.. So why doesn't Panasonic, Philips, LG, Samsung do it then? o_O
It should be a one time tick here to agree thing..

I have a backup for the Google TV interface on the Sony in the form of an Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box. In fact, the Sony apps will most likely become the backup (With the exception of the Bravia Core App) with my Shield being the primary source for all other Apps etc.. (Netflix, Prime, BT Sport etc...)

This was a fear of mine, was hoping with the new tv and revamp of google tv they may have sorted it out :(
From the responses Sony have been giving to people it doesn't look likely they will change it either.
They just state it's part of new EU energy efficient rules.. So why doesn't Panasonic, Philips, LG, Samsung do it then? o_O
It should be a one time tick here to agree thing..
Well we're no longer in the EU so why gimp our tellies? It's even worse with German cars having opf filters and pathetic exhaust notes due to the EU regs and why we have to abide by that is beyond me.
Edit added.... If I had the choice I'd go new brighter panel with the latest spec over the next size up but its not a hard decision to make for me because I can't fit the 77 in my lounge!
Vincent had a good video explaining the brighter sets and why it's required a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I have a backup for the Google TV interface on the Sony in the form of an Nvidia Shield Pro Android TV box. In fact, the Sony apps will most likely become the backup (With the exception of the Bravia Core App) with my Shield being the primary source for all other Apps etc.. (Netflix, Prime, BT Sport etc...)
Google tv is not the issue, google tv looks nice.
it's the actual picture settings of all Sony TVs that now have the annoying pop up.

Google tv is not the issue, google tv looks nice.
it's the actual picture settings of all Sony TVs that now have the annoying pop up.

It’s hardly a deal breaker really is it ,I mean come on how many times do you actually change brightness per day ?

It’s hardly a deal breaker really is it ,I mean come on how many times do you actually change brightness per day ?
But will it do it if you switch from the pre-configured ISF Day/Night calibration modes?

Never said it was a deal breaker, just going by absolutely everyone saying it's a complete pain on the arse, as it looks from that video and the thread I linked.
many of us tinker in picture settings all the time, we are av enthusiasts after all.
imo and many others there is no defending this.

Last edited:
Never said it was a deal breaker, just going by absolutely everyone saying it's a complete pain on the arse, as it looks from that video and the thread I linked.
many of us tinker in picture settings all the time, we are av enthusiasts after all.
imo and many others there is no defending this.
Takes 2 seconds to get past it mate ,I agree it’s stupid to be put there in the first place ,but realistically how often do you change brightness ,it’s easy enough to make a day/night setting on these sets

It must be a pain on the arse for Sony owners as every Sony thread has people complaining about it, I mean this thread only has 2 owners and 1 of them has already mentioned it, the other owner is from Canada so doesn't have the pop up :rotfl:
In the above video its popping up all the time, not just brightness.
we can agree to disagree on this one :D

Pop ups on websites take 2 clicks of a mouse, doesn't mean there not a pain on the arse :rotfl:

Pop ups on websites take 2 clicks of a mouse, doesn't mean there not a pain on the arse :rotfl:
I,m just telling it how it is mate, 3 clicks of the remote when changing picture modes , id rather it wasn't there , but it is , and that's what it takes to change settings , probably less than 2 seconds , that at most I would do twice a day , in reality once a week :D, it would take me longer to post a complaint on the Sony site about it, than I spend time changing settings in a month

I,m just telling it how it is mate, 3 clicks of the remote when changing picture modes , id rather it wasn't there , but it is , and that's what it takes to change settings , probably less than 2 seconds , that at most I would do twice a day , in reality once a week :D, it would take me longer to post a complaint on the Sony site about it, than I spend time changing settings in a month
All I'm saying is along with many other people is that it's a pain on the arse, especially when fiddling with picture settings, which many of us do more than once a week.
im not saying Sony bad etc dont worry, I think it's reasonable to say it's unnecessary and a pain on the arse for some and a big pain on the arse for others.
so agree to disagree again :rotfl:

All I'm saying is along with many other people is that it's a pain on the arse, especially when fiddling with picture settings, which many of us do more than once a week.
im not saying Sony bad etc dont worry, I think it's reasonable to say it's unnecessary and a pain on the arse for some and a big pain on the arse for others.
so agree to disagree again :rotfl:
Mate non of this is aimed at you or anyone else , I agree its stupid of Sony adding it , , I,m just giving a balanced view of how long it takes to dismiss it etc .
If your a constant fiddler:eek:, then yes I can see it being a right pain in the arse , but in all honesty with Sony sets once you have got over the first few weeks ,all you really need is a Day/Night setting and that's about it , if you need to make changes in settings after that ,its 3 clicks job done

Mate non of this is aimed at you or anyone else , I agree its stupid of Sony adding it , , I,m just giving a balanced view of how long it takes to dismiss it etc .
If your a constant fiddler:eek:, then yes I can see it being a right pain in the arse , but in all honesty with Sony sets once you have got over the first few weeks ,all you really need is a Day/Night setting and that's about it , if you need to make changes in settings after that ,its 3 clicks job done
I never change my settings from isf night. Does the ambient sensor trigger it? Is there any way to automatically change isf day to isf night based on time of day?

I like to fiddle :blush:

when I get a new tv I spend weeks getting it dialled in to how I like it, then continue with small adjustments.

agree to disagree to agree to disagree, agree :D

I never change my settings from isf night. Does the ambient sensor trigger it? Is there any way to automatically change isf day to isf night based on time of day?
No to both questions to my knowledge mate

Could be the reason for the delay guys... Isolated UK firmware from the EU that has away with the annoying pop-up.. :laugh::D

It must be a pain on the arse for Sony owners as every Sony thread has people complaining about it, I mean this thread only has 2 owners and 1 of them has already mentioned it, the other owner is from Canada so doesn't have the pop up :rotfl:
In the above video its popping up all the time, not just brightness.
we can agree to disagree on this one :D
I’m so glad I don’t have it on my canadian A90j. I keep fiddling and adjusting, it’d drive me mad. Sony should just add a: « please never remind me ever » option and be done with it.

I was on the fence with other models and truth be told, this kind of crap could have swayed me to the G1 instead of the A90J. At some point we own the freaking TV and we should use it as we please without being reminded of a stupid power consumption that in the end doesn’t change much if anything. What’s next an audible warning when you set your toaster?

Yes annoying easily fixed with update. On the other hand if that is the only thing I need to worry about on my new tv..I'll be happy.

The panels are manufactured in different places for different reasons Poland for us, Mexico for the Americans and Japan I believe. I'm wondering if it makes a difference in the panel lottery? There are good 65" out there. B the installer got a dud and his second 65 inch was a good one.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom