Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Zeke2417

All quiet here from JL. Ordered 55' on 30th March, hoping it's not too much longer now.
Wondering if I'll be lucky and get credit and a firestick also.

Geesus

Can anyone translate this?

After more than 15 days of using the great Sony A80J that left us with such a good taste in our mouths, a couple of days ago we received the MASTER Series from the Japanese firm: the imposing Sony A90J, top of the OLED range for the Smart TV sector in 2021. Is there much difference between the two? Does the A90J shine brighter? Is the disbursement worth it? in this post and video, we will try to answer all those questions.

The first thing to say is that both models have the latest: the famous XR Cognitive chip, two full HDMI 2.1 ports ([email protected] and VRR in a future firmware update), 16 ms of input lag, Google TV, Acoustic Surface +, both are 4K panels and with OLED technology and support the same standards: HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. In terms of image quality, in cleaning and video processing - treatment of areas in gloom, noise, posterization, banding, etc. - both devices are identical, something normal when sharing a processor. In addition, the brightness in SDR is also exactly the same; the same happens in other sections such as the Smart TV, sound or remote control - except that of the A90J is backlit - and the design, which varies between both Smart TVs.

If we move to the field of high dynamic range, HDR, here we already begin to find important differences, since the main difference between the two sisters is that the A90J has a rear dissipation panel to be able to give more brightness to the OLED subpixels, so that the image has more brightness not only 10% (small details such as flashes, reflections, etc.) but also 100% white screen, something that makes the image gain more "body" and intensity when there is a lot of white on the screen. The small details, lights, flashes, etc. are equally brighter on the A90J, giving a unique 3D and punch feeling, leaving the A80J somewhat flatter.

If we move to the field of Dolby Vision, again and as happened with the comparison with the C9, the differences are much more subtle if we stay in standard (Dark mode) since Dolby has a much darker image presentation than the HDR and also does not intervene in the tonemapping of the television. Even so, if we put them in Dolby Vision Home Theater mode, we find important differences in favor of the A90J, which are basically the same as in HDR10: more brightness and less restriction of the ABL (100% white screen).

Finally, in terms of shadow detail, scaling and motion interpolator, both televisions are exactly the same, giving the image an incredible "3D effect", presenting the movement smoothly but without adding "sober effect" and without generating movement artifacts (noise, pixelations, etc. around objects or characters when moving). Macroblocks are conspicuous by their absence in both models, making it clear that, again, Sony's processing chip is one of the best on the market and one of the main reasons to buy one of these two excellent televisions.

I'm presuming 'sober effect' is 'soap-opera effect' btw

tobyadams

Just got the refund. I paid with vouchers so have now managed to get £370 off the RRP which will do me nicely. Result.

I do wonder if it is maybe Sony financing this though, but either way, sorted.
Did they phone you? I still have not heard anything.

tobyadams

All quiet here from JL. Ordered 55' on 30th March, hoping it's not too much longer now.
Wondering if I'll be lucky and get credit and a firestick also.
Same, although 26th March. I think the credit and the fire stick is a given now that so many others have had it. I just have not heard anything from them yet!

shep1968

Still wondering why to buy this TV. You are all enthusiasts far and above the normal TV user, i get that, but the 55" A8 is nearly £1600 cheaper than this TV. Is it that much better? Dont get me wrong, i want it but struggling to sell it to my wife

SteveLA

I told my Sony centre about the JL good will gesture and he has said he will price match but if I leave it with him he will get me a better deal for the refund.

clnthl

Still wondering why to buy this TV. You are all enthusiasts far and above the normal TV user, i get that, but the 55" A8 is nearly £1600 cheaper than this TV. Is it that much better? Dont get me wrong, i want it but struggling to sell it to my wife
This was covered earlier in the thread but it all depends what you’re after there are several advantages in this years model. If you buy now you’ll be paying a premium for those new features, if you’re happy to wait till Black Friday then you get best of both worlds... but it’s gonna be an agonising wait.
at least it’ll have the catch up apps by then (hopefully)

kevjp

I told my Sony centre about the JL good will gesture and he has said he will price match but if I leave it with him he will get me a better deal for the refund.
I missed the bit about what's missing. What is missing for jl to give refund as I bought from a Sony centre.

IL Cattivo

I missed the bit about what's missing. What is missing for jl to give refund as I bought from a Sony centre.
They basically advertised the TV as having all the usual UK catchup apps, which at launch it won't. Therefore it could be deemed as being mis-sold, thus they are covering their butts with a sweetener to the consumer who have already parted with £

shep1968

This was covered earlier in the thread but it all depends what you’re after there are several advantages in this years model. If you buy now you’ll be paying a premium for those new features, if you’re happy to wait till Black Friday then you get best of both worlds... but it’s gonna be an agonising wait.
at least it’ll have the catch up apps by then (hopefully)
Problem is that i need a new tv before the end of May so cant wait. I have sky q so dont need the catch up apps, as long as it has netflix and amazon i'm good to go. I'm struggling to justify spending £2.8k on a tv no matter how much i can afford it.

clnthl

Problem is that i need a new tv before the end of May so cant wait. I have sky q so dont need the catch up apps, as long as it has netflix and amazon i'm good to go. I'm struggling to justify spending £2.8k on a tv no matter how much i can afford it.
If you can’t wait till the prices come down you’ll have to weigh up if you wanna spend more and pay the early adopters tax or get a mode from last year but miss out on some of the new features like hdmi 2.1. Guess the compromise would always be the new A80J if you’re looking at Sony models

shep1968

I'm not a gamer so 2.1 doesnt really matter to me. Was thinking of the AJ80 but that seems like 2nd best which is what sony want me to think i guess. Is it going to be that much poorer? Its a TV for at least 5 years, and interest free credit is always a plus i guess.

frago

Guys finally tomorrow I will have in crete - greece the a90j 55 inch, off course I will try to give you a review from my likes!

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Guys finally tomorrow I will have in crete - greece the a90j 55 inch, off course I will try to give you a review from my likes!
I love Crete! Went there a couple of years ago...

(Koutouloufári)​

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Get excited....

games133

Whitch sony center did you ring mine with Carlisle one. I was going ring tomorrow. What apps arnt available so I can well badger hom lol

K0MP081

Just received this from my Richer Sounds contact - getting close now!
00E44989-39FD-48C9-93DF-E0513124E1E8.jpeg

SteveLA

Whitch sony center did you ring mine with Carlisle one. I was going ring tomorrow. What apps arnt available so I can well badger hom lol

I emailed mine about JL getting deliveries from tomorrow and I’ve not got a delivery date yet and then mentioned they are even getting £100 back due to not being released with YouView, so I said I would cancel and go with JL and they offered the price match, but I will wait and see if they follow through with the refund.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021