Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Shenoizy

I didn't realise you could have two customer picture modes. Having one for daytime and one for night time could well be the solution. Thank you.

Shenoizy

Bye the way just looking to see if any of the Sony OLED owners tv had a thin protective removable film over it or not. I think most screens tend to have this my Panny 65" OLED had one and when Phil Hinton does his tv reviews/unboxing there is usually a peel off film on the screen. I have looked and think there may be one although they usually have a bit of extra where you can start to peel it off and can't see anything obvious.
I've heard that Sony don't put this film on their screens any more. It's probably an environmental saving on plastic sheets. I did find a slim film that you can remove from the bottom bezel though. This covers the IR sensor and Sony logos.

Shenoizy

Unlock the two custom picture modes, using the Calman app, and then you will have one setting for night time and one for day time. At night, I find brightness at about ~33 is as high as you want to go, during the day it is probably best to max it out if you have a fairly bright room.
I didn't realise you could have two customer picture modes. Having one for daytime and one for night time could well be the solution. Thank you.

Shenoizy

My new A90J 83" is being delivered tomorrow although it won't get installed for a few days as we have a guest till Thurs so sometime over the following few days is most likely.

A question for you Sony owners, we shall be using the tv for regular tv viewing via a humax pvr but also Netflix/Prime and Bluray. The apps will be via a Fire stick 4k and humax/bluray player all plugged into my Denon X4500 avr and then connected by one HDMI lead via earc.Then control everything via the AVR.

I have a google account but don't use it for anything so do you guys set it up with google tv mode or the other more basic setup.

I probably won't be using any of the tv apps other than maybe BBC I-player as the firestick 4k has a quirk where the newer versions (mine is only a year old) can't do UHD 4k on the BBC so would need to use the inbuilt I-player for that.

Do you see any problems setting up that way or is using the full blown google tv the way to go.
I'm a recent owner too. I started with the basic setup and then moved over to the Google account. I haven't seen much benefit yet other than pooling all your recommendations and watchlist into yet another location to find things from.

Having a watchlist each for Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime etc. is useful but can also be confusing so maybe having them all collated in Google (eventually) will help. I think it also helps with Google voice search. Plus the interface, screen savers etc. seem to be handled better through the Google TV system.

Shenoizy

Hi @kbfern and welcome to the A90J thread. :)

So I use my Google account to login to the GoogleTV OS of the A90J and am fine with this.

While I don't have a 3rd Party AVR or Humax PVR I do have a SKYQ UHD box and a FireTV Cube (2nd Gen) connected via HDMI to the A90J. So currently I have no need for eArc use as my audio doesn't return back to a device controlling speaker separates like yours. That being said, many others on here do and will be able to better advise you on that front. [I do most of my viewing of an evening or night and use a Sony SRS-N7 neckband speaker to simulate 3D Dolby Atmos surround sound] Keeps the sleeping family happy. ;)

In terms of app usage here is what I use and on what device. (Advised by the guy who pro isf calibrated my set)

A90J
Netflix
Disney+
Bravia Core
UK CatchUp Apps (iPlayer, ITV Hub etc..)
PLEX
ATV+

FireTV Cube
Amazon Video
IPTV

The reasoning behind watching Amazon Video (Prime) via the FireTV Cube is because it has the ability to match the frame rate of their content, whereas the others don't from that device and neither does the A90J's Prime App.

BBC iPlayer from the A90J's YouView apps is capable of outputting in UHD/HLG whereas the FireTV Cubes iPlayer app can't. So it's things like these where there are slight advantages of using an app from one device over another.
This is super interesting @IL Cattivo. I got rid of my Amazon 4K Firestick as I thought the built in app on the TV would do it all for me. I forgot that you cannot install Amazon apps on the TV so I miss some of that functionality.

I've also found that lip synchronisation for some movies on Amazon Prime is way out on the built in app but can't tell if it's just the one movie (The World Is Not Enough) or a few of them. What's the implication of not matching frame rate?

I'm hopefully that this shouldn't matter if I'm watching 4K HDR content but that's new to me so maybe I'm wrong.

JonnyMan

Has anyone else lost Freeview channels after the last update? I seem to have lost all HD ones (channels 1-4) and can't work out how to get them back!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
As a new owner of the 83" A90J who will clock up lots of hours over a year (approx 5k per year) I am warry of image retention. With my other set a Panasonic GZ950 65" with 10k hrs at 2 years old it has a panel maintenance schedule built in to help prevent image retention.

It works every time you switch off after the tv has been on for over a couple of hours and does a quick 10 min screen wash program (you don't see anything on the screen while it does this). Also each and every 1k hours it does a more thorough 80 min maintenance cycle. So after 10k hours my tv seems to be totally free of any screen burn which is great.

So that brings me to the Sony, it's a new tv to me so still getting to know it but with my hours of use I am keen to know if Sony has something like this going on in the background. I just looked through the online manual and it mentions panel refresh. And points out to use this sparingly only once a year.

Help Guide | You are concerned about an image retention. (only models equipped with an OLED panel)

Am I missing something here or is this the only preventative method built in to ensure image retention is kept to a minimum or is something else going on on the background like I have with the Panasonic.

It mentions pixel shift in that help guide and says:
  • [Pixel shift] is a feature that helps prevents image retention by automatically moving the image at fixed intervals. Under normal circumstances, keep this option enabled.
So is this what is going on in the background constantly to help with image retention. If it is why is it not automatically on and not an option to use or not.

King Dazzar

I got rid of my Amazon 4K Firestick as I thought the built in app on the TV would do it all for me. I forgot that you cannot install Amazon apps on the TV so I miss some of that functionality.

I've also found that lip synchronisation for some movies on Amazon Prime is way out on the built in app but can't tell if it's just the one movie (The World Is Not Enough) or a few of them. What's the implication of not matching frame rate?

I'm hopefully that this shouldn't matter if I'm watching 4K HDR content but that's new to me so maybe I'm wrong.
Recently I had some lip sync issues with Prime Video too on my Z9J - coincidently since the last fw update. But restarting the TV would fix it every time. I've been seriously considering going with an Nvidia Shield. As much as I hate some aspects of Google TV, I do like Smart Tube next...

supermariojj

Has anyone else lost Freeview channels after the last update? I seem to have lost all HD ones (channels 1-4) and can't work out how to get them back!
It's happened to me once where i lost a few SD channels (even before the update) but after a re-tune they came back. My brother has the Sony A84J and is always complaining of loosing HD & SD channels regularly, but again after a re-tune they are all there. No aerial issues on both sets. Could be a software issue ?

JonnyMan

It's happened to me once where i lost a few SD channels (even before the update) but after a re-tune they came back. My brother has the Sony A84J and is always complaining of loosing HD & SD channels regularly, but again after a re-tune they are all there. No aerial issues on both sets. Could be a software issue ?
Yes very strange. Have retuned twice. Once using extended tuning range and can't get them back. Will just have to use in built apps

Geesus

Distinguished Member
As a new owner of the 83" A90J who will clock up lots of hours over a year (approx 5k per year) I am warry of image retention. With my other set a Panasonic GZ950 65" with 10k hrs at 2 years old it has a panel maintenance schedule built in to help prevent image retention.

It works every time you switch off after the tv has been on for over a couple of hours and does a quick 10 min screen wash program (you don't see anything on the screen while it does this). Also each and every 1k hours it does a more thorough 80 min maintenance cycle. So after 10k hours my tv seems to be totally free of any screen burn which is great.

So that brings me to the Sony, it's a new tv to me so still getting to know it but with my hours of use I am keen to know if Sony has something like this going on in the background. I just looked through the online manual and it mentions panel refresh. And points out to use this sparingly only once a year.

Help Guide | You are concerned about an image retention. (only models equipped with an OLED panel)

Am I missing something here or is this the only preventative method built in to ensure image retention is kept to a minimum or is something else going on on the background like I have with the Panasonic.

• [Pixel shift] is a feature that helps prevents image retention by automatically moving the image at fixed intervals. Under normal circumstances, keep this option enabled.
So is this what is going on in the background constantly to help with image retention. If it is why is it not automatically on and not an option to use or not.
I honestly wouldn’t worry. As long as you keep your TV plugged in, it performs small compensation cycles automatically after a certain number of hours and it warns you when a proper longer one is due. The A90J is as resilient as any OLED when it comes to image retention and burn-in because of its heat-sink Which dissipates the heat and makes image retention disappear more quickly.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Hi Geesus thanks I was not worrying more needed clarification that the tv has some form of panel maintenance. I am reassured that with Pixel shift that is switched on and there are automatic compensation cycles along with the aluminium heat-sinks I have no concerns even with the high annual hours use the tv will get.

Just spent the last 3 hrs looking at my first 4k UHD discs I have run on this set getting the set installed yesterday. Revenant, Greatest Showman and Hans Zimmer live in Prague (1080p but for the Atmos).

And am stunned by the difference between streamed 4k that I watched last night and the UHD disc and even the 1080p Zimmer disc.

I already had a 65" Panny OLED for 2 years so was used to the blacks colours and contrast but on this 83" sat at 7ft I was mesmerized. This set is a step up from my Panny probably from the extra scale from the much larger set.

So glad I have upgraded to this set and at the price it was a steal. I have a 1080p JVC pj and it can't get near the performance of the OLED and whilst it gives up some scale to the 100" projected image I will take the OLED all day long.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The stand on the 83A90J is a massive deal-breaker for me unless I change my AV unit.

77A80J stand positions are way better than the A90J as it occupies less footprint and so easy to fit.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Hi Geesus thanks I was not worrying more needed clarification that the tv has some form of panel maintenance. I am reassured that with Pixel shift that is switched on and there are automatic compensation cycles along with the aluminium heat-sinks I have no concerns even with the high annual hours use the tv will get.

Just spent the last 3 hrs looking at my first 4k UHD discs I have run on this set getting the set installed yesterday. Revenant, Greatest Showman and Hans Zimmer live in Prague (1080p but for the Atmos).

And am stunned by the difference between streamed 4k that I watched last night and the UHD disc and even the 1080p Zimmer disc.

I already had a 65" Panny OLED for 2 years so was used to the blacks colours and contrast but on this 83" sat at 7ft I was mesmerized. This set is a step up from my Panny probably from the extra scale from the much larger set.

So glad I have upgraded to this set and at the price it was a steal. I have a 1080p JVC pj and it can't get near the performance of the OLED and whilst it gives up some scale to the 100" projected image I will take the OLED all day long.

Most of the wow factor and immersion comes due to size. Panasonic 77LZ2000 should go neck and neck or better the A90J in many areas.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Just get a VESA mount.

I can't wall mount but do have a custom mount stand but sadly the lowest position would still be higher and I have to look up a bit instead of looking straight. My AV stand height is 50 cm. If it was 40 then the custom stand would be perfect. :(

kbfern

Distinguished Member

Could this work for you, I was going to use this had I gone for the 77" Sony but having gone with the 83" it fits on top of my 2 subwoofers perfectly.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Most of the wow factor and immersion comes due to size. Panasonic 77LZ2000 should go neck and neck or better the A90J in many areas.
Quite possibly but it ain't out for a couple of months at least and will cost quite a bit more than what I paid for the 83" A90J.

v8hawkeman

I've clocked up over 4K hours in a year on my A80J and don't have any image retention.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I switched the tv on this morning and a message popped up that there was a firmware update.

Has anyone had this on their A90, mine may not have been on the latest firmware as I only got it last week so maybe it's a firmware that has been out for a while rather than a brand new one.

I have not updated yet as I see a few on here with A80/90 have been reporting wi-fi drop outs which so far has not happened with my tv although it's early days yet but have probably watched 5-6 hrs of streamed stuff so far. But then again streaming is from my firestick which is plugged into my Denon avr. Therefore the tv is not using the wi-fi for that so it may not be an issue for me anyway.

Jenz

I switched the tv on this morning and a message popped up that there was a firmware update.

Has anyone had this on their A90, mine may not have been on the latest firmware as I only got it last week so maybe it's a firmware that has been out for a while rather than a brand new one.

I have not updated yet as I see a few on here with A80/90 have been reporting wi-fi drop outs which so far has not happened with my tv although it's early days yet but have probably watched 5-6 hrs of streamed stuff so far. But then again streaming is from my firestick which is plugged into my Denon avr. Therefore the tv is not using the wi-fi for that so it may not be an issue for me anyway.
I find that firmware doesn’t come the same day for all users. Like you I had one a few days back and installed fine with no issues.

BarryMcKelvey

Hi

I hope that you guys don’t mind that I’m popping over from the Panasonic JZ Series Thread?

Us Panasonic JZ Series owners are experiencing 120Hz Sound Dropout issues with the Xbox Series X, and VRR only capable of 48 - 60Hz with the PlayStation 5, when these devices are connected directly to our TV’s via a HDM1 2.1 Ultra Fast Cable.

Are any of you guys seeing the same on either your Xbox Series X or PlayStation 5?

Thanks in Advance

Barry :)

djbullard

I came from an LG G1, eArc issues irritated me no end (another story) so I got a Panasonic JZ1500 which I returned for the A90J.
On the Panasonic the Xbox at 4K 120hz with Dolby Atmos did drop out and it made me take it back because it bugged me.
I have both the PS5 and the Xbox. Both connected with a 2.1 switch to my A90J. The PS5 looks absolutely stunning on this tv as it has the auto calibration with “Made for PlayStation”. It is capable of VRR 48-120Hz.
I have had issue with it and Dolby Atmos with the Xbox Series X. However after a minute or so it sorts itself out. It is a little annoying though. But my only irritation with this tv. Otherwise it’s flawless. eArc works perfectly, picture is stunning, would of preferred all ports be 2.1 but willing to sacrifice to get the better picture. Out of the TV’s I’ve had it knocks all the others out of the water in terms of picture quality and I’m really picky.

Attachments

• 10647236-38EA-4110-8AD2-EFA7D9768FD6.jpeg
    10647236-38EA-4110-8AD2-EFA7D9768FD6.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 36

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand