Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

StewBucks

What I would say is to check the films your redeeming are 4K HDR. There’s a few 1080 only films and some 4K films that don’t advertise as HDR.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
What I would say is to check the films your redeeming are 4K HDR. There’s a few 1080 only films and some 4K films that don’t advertise as HDR.
And some say imax but there not

BigBoss83

so unfortunately i also noticed some agressive absl on my set. I just got my ps5 so i am playing god of war again. My god this game looks amazing on this set with hdr. However, when i am in combat and the hud appears, absl kick in after a few minutes. Anybody know how to minimize this with some settings?

Geesus

Distinguished Member
so unfortunately i also noticed some agressive absl on my set. I just got my ps5 so i am playing god of war again. My god this game looks amazing on this set with hdr. However, when i am in combat and the hud appears, absl kick in after a few minutes. Anybody know how to minimize this with some settings?
This is nothing to do with the HUD or the TV, the game dims. It is an artistic choice. See also Horizon: Forbidden West.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i’m-just-starting-gow-and-boy-does-the-auto-brightness-piss-me-off.40783/

BigBoss83

This is nothing to do with the HUD or the TV, the game dims. It is an artistic choice. See also Horizon: Forbidden West.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i’m-just-starting-gow-and-boy-does-the-auto-brightness-piss-me-off.40783/
I think what you are describing is something different as my brightbess dims when my hud appears when i’m in fightmode for a few minutes. When the hud goes away the game brightens up. I’ll test this without the hud appearing when i fight. I’ll report back. Thanks for the feedback.

Geesus

Distinguished Member
I think what you are describing is something different as my brightbess dims when my hud appears when i’m in fightmode for a few minutes. When the hud goes away the game brightens up. I’ll test this without the hud appearing when i fight. I’ll report back. Thanks for the feedback.
Ah ok. The only time I ever have dimming in games, is when I leave the pause screen on. I might just play different games, but I recently played the remaster of GTA 5 and there was no dimming at all and that has a pretty prominent HUD.

screemer

Can anyone help me with a problem im having with my Sonos arc system. I keep losing the surrounds, as are a lot of users, but after being on the phone to Sonos they say that they are seeing the arc is receiving PCM 5.1 not DD etc. I have the tv set to earc On. I just tried turning eARC off and hey presto, it shows DD5.1 etc etc. Im confused. Also, with it on it says atmos, when its off it says Atmos DD+. Any ideas?

Geesus

Distinguished Member
Can anyone help me with a problem im having with my Sonos arc system. I keep losing the surrounds, as are a lot of users, but after being on the phone to Sonos they say that they are seeing the arc is receiving PCM 5.1 not DD etc. I have the tv set to earc On. I just tried turning eARC off and hey presto, it shows DD5.1 etc etc. Im confused. Also, with it on it says atmos, when its off it says Atmos DD+. Any ideas?
Try removing the system from the app and set it up as an entirely new system. The only time I’ve had a problem with my Arc and the A90J is when I changed internet providers and it didn’t like re-allocating network access. Starting over fixed it. It has been flawless here with mine and my surrounds.

screemer

Try removing the system from the app and set it up as an entirely new system. The only time I’ve had a problem with my Arc and the A90J is when I changed internet providers and it didn’t like re-allocating network access. Starting over fixed it. It has been flawless here with mine and my surrounds.
What was it doing before? Only thing I have changed is Wi-Fi to Ethernet

Geesus

Distinguished Member
What was it doing before? Only thing I have changed is Wi-Fi to Ethernet
That could be why you are having issues. It seems to confuse the Arc when you change any aspect of your network, which kind of makes sense as they are all communicating with each other. I had to remove every speaker and start again.

screemer

ill try it tonight

Shenoizy

Does anyone have any recommendations about what to use my very soon to be expiring Bravia Core tokens on?

I have -
Spiderman - No way home
Uncharted
Ghostbusters -Afterlife
I haven't used any of my tokens yet, but believe they are valid for a couple of years from first registration. I haven't registered yet, so am waiting for some more titles to come on before I start the 24 month 'trial'.

Is there anywhere with a full list of Core titles that gets regularly updated?

Shenoizy

I've waited over ten years for a new TV, having owned a Pioneer KURO until now. The A90J upscaling is amazing so even when watching 1080p Blu Rays and content it looks really detailed. Pure 4K content is superb, especially with HDR or Dolby Vision which is stunning, probably because it sorts most of the picture settings out for you.

I used the AVForums settings video to help with most of the picture settings, but haven't done anything more detailed. My main issue is with standard definition content, or non HDR, what to set things at. During the day, a no eco-mode, full brightness etc. makes sense and looks good but there are times when the dark parts are too dark or shadow with some content. Then at night, in my dark room, this is too bright and almost blinding. So I sometimes change to an eco mode, so it doesn't hurt my eyes. I can't seem to get one setting that works for all content at all time. The auto-light sensor helps a little with this but then I'd like to know when I'm getting the best most accurate picture versus what is comfortable for the time of day. Lots to play with I guess.

Geesus

Distinguished Member
I've waited over ten years for a new TV, having owned a Pioneer KURO until now. The A90J upscaling is amazing so even when watching 1080p Blu Rays and content it looks really detailed. Pure 4K content is superb, especially with HDR or Dolby Vision which is stunning, probably because it sorts most of the picture settings out for you.

I used the AVForums settings video to help with most of the picture settings, but haven't done anything more detailed. My main issue is with standard definition content, or non HDR, what to set things at. During the day, a no eco-mode, full brightness etc. makes sense and looks good but there are times when the dark parts are too dark or shadow with some content. Then at night, in my dark room, this is too bright and almost blinding. So I sometimes change to an eco mode, so it doesn't hurt my eyes. I can't seem to get one setting that works for all content at all time. The auto-light sensor helps a little with this but then I'd like to know when I'm getting the best most accurate picture versus what is comfortable for the time of day. Lots to play with I guess.

Unlock the two custom picture modes, using the Calman app, and then you will have one setting for night time and one for day time. At night, I find brightness at about ~33 is as high as you want to go, during the day it is probably best to max it out if you have a fairly bright room.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
My new A90J 83" is being delivered tomorrow although it won't get installed for a few days as we have a guest till Thurs so sometime over the following few days is most likely.

A question for you Sony owners, we shall be using the tv for regular tv viewing via a humax pvr but also Netflix/Prime and Bluray. The apps will be via a Fire stick 4k and humax/bluray player all plugged into my Denon X4500 avr and then connected by one HDMI lead via earc.Then control everything via the AVR.

I have a google account but don't use it for anything so do you guys set it up with google tv mode or the other more basic setup.

I probably won't be using any of the tv apps other than maybe BBC I-player as the firestick 4k has a quirk where the newer versions (mine is only a year old) can't do UHD 4k on the BBC so would need to use the inbuilt I-player for that.

Do you see any problems setting up that way or is using the full blown google tv the way to go.

Ichigo7

Novice Member
Hi guys, first time here and my A90J 65 is coming soon and I’ve never been so excited. This is my first oled and so far what I’ve heard is that it’s the best out there. I’ve gone from a tv that didn’t have 4k to a 4k tv and now an oled, my only concern is the gaming and the hdmi. I’ve heard that the gaming is better on an lg but from what I’ve seen it looks better on the Sony I’d like some opinions from you guys. My next concern is only having 2 hdmi 2.1 ports, I don’t even really know the difference but people say it makes one, I would only be using my Apple tv and ps5 and maybe a soundbar but that I’m not sure about. Please give me your opinions and any tips would be appreciated thank you 😊.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
My new A90J 83" is being delivered tomorrow although it won't get installed for a few days as we have a guest till Thurs so sometime over the following few days is most likely.

A question for you Sony owners, we shall be using the tv for regular tv viewing via a humax pvr but also Netflix/Prime and Bluray. The apps will be via a Fire stick 4k and humax/bluray player all plugged into my Denon X4500 avr and then connected by one HDMI lead via earc.Then control everything via the AVR.

I have a google account but don't use it for anything so do you guys set it up with google tv mode or the other more basic setup.

I probably won't be using any of the tv apps other than maybe BBC I-player as the firestick 4k has a quirk where the newer versions (mine is only a year old) can't do UHD 4k on the BBC so would need to use the inbuilt I-player for that.

Do you see any problems setting up that way or is using the full blown google tv the way to go.
Hi @kbfern and welcome to the A90J thread. :)

So I use my Google account to login to the GoogleTV OS of the A90J and am fine with this.

While I don't have a 3rd Party AVR or Humax PVR I do have a SKYQ UHD box and a FireTV Cube (2nd Gen) connected via HDMI to the A90J. So currently I have no need for eArc use as my audio doesn't return back to a device controlling speaker separates like yours. That being said, many others on here do and will be able to better advise you on that front. [I do most of my viewing of an evening or night and use a Sony SRS-N7 neckband speaker to simulate 3D Dolby Atmos surround sound] Keeps the sleeping family happy. ;)

In terms of app usage here is what I use and on what device. (Advised by the guy who pro isf calibrated my set)

A90J
Netflix
Disney+
Bravia Core
UK CatchUp Apps (iPlayer, ITV Hub etc..)
PLEX
ATV+

FireTV Cube
Amazon Video
IPTV

The reasoning behind watching Amazon Video (Prime) via the FireTV Cube is because it has the ability to match the frame rate of their content, whereas the others don't from that device and neither does the A90J's Prime App.

BBC iPlayer from the A90J's YouView apps is capable of outputting in UHD/HLG whereas the FireTV Cubes iPlayer app can't. So it's things like these where there are slight advantages of using an app from one device over another.

San5324

Hi guys, first time here and my A90J 65 is coming soon and I’ve never been so excited. This is my first oled and so far what I’ve heard is that it’s the best out there. I’ve gone from a tv that didn’t have 4k to a 4k tv and now an oled, my only concern is the gaming and the hdmi. I’ve heard that the gaming is better on an lg but from what I’ve seen it looks better on the Sony I’d like some opinions from you guys. My next concern is only having 2 hdmi 2.1 ports, I don’t even really know the difference but people say it makes one, I would only be using my Apple tv and ps5 and maybe a soundbar but that Ps5 into hdmi 4, I’m not sure about. Please give me your opinions and any tips would be appreciated thank you 😊.

Apple in hdmi 1 or 2 and set it in enhanced.
Soundbar in hdmi 3 change the input to advanced.
Ps5 into 4 and in vrr mode.

TThen in the pst change the settings for vrr to automatic.

Also keep in mind that every input (add, hdr, dolby vision and game) need to be changed to your liking. It is a bit much in the beginning but afterwards you will be fine.. Start with sdr.. Just put Netflix on and in the home page change your settings there.. Then starts a hdr movie repeat, Dolby vision repeat once more.

Good luck :)

StewBucks

Hi guys, first time here and my A90J 65 is coming soon and I’ve never been so excited. This is my first oled and so far what I’ve heard is that it’s the best out there. I’ve gone from a tv that didn’t have 4k to a 4k tv and now an oled, my only concern is the gaming and the hdmi. I’ve heard that the gaming is better on an lg but from what I’ve seen it looks better on the Sony I’d like some opinions from you guys. My next concern is only having 2 hdmi 2.1 ports, I don’t even really know the difference but people say it makes one, I would only be using my Apple tv and ps5 and maybe a soundbar but that I’m not sure about. Please give me your opinions and any tips would be appreciated thank you 😊.
Having spent too much time researching, waiting and fretting over a hdmi 2.1 tv, my conclusion is just enjoy gaming on a top quality tv. The whole thing is over hyped in my opinion.

Geesus

Distinguished Member
If you only have a PS5 it is a non issue anyway. You don’t need one of the 2.1 ports for the Apple TV.

BigBoss83

Ah ok. The only time I ever have dimming in games, is when I leave the pause screen on. I might just play different games, but I recently played the remaster of GTA 5 and there was no dimming at all and that has a pretty prominent HUD.
Tested it without the hud elements ingame and there was no asbl. So i have to play games differently from now on if i have the options available for the hud elements:)

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV