Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

can i ask do you see the marantz in the 'list of bravia sync devices' on the sony? i could do a system reset on the sony but i don't want to bother as i know im not keeping the denon anyway
Yes. If your not seeing your Denon, just go to settings channels & inputs, External inputs- External device setup, just make sure you here your audio from your Denon and that it says configure and your done.

Yes. If your not seeing your Denon, just go to settings channels & inputs, External inputs- External device setup, just make sure you here your audio from your Denon and that it says configure and your done.
i can see it on external input 3.. and do the setup external device and i choose audio device and hear the test music.. trouble is next time on turn on the tv.. there's no audio at all.. when i try the quick setup on the denon and click tv audio connection it just freezes so i think there's probably something off

Whilst current 77 and 83 inch OLED owners no longer cares about lower sizes no matter the hype surrounding QD-OLED.

My 65 tellies look like 55 now lol.:laugh:

No room for bigger than 65" so not a problem for me :)

i can see it on external input 3.. and do the setup external device and i choose audio device and hear the test music.. trouble is next time on turn on the tv.. there's no audio at all.. when i try the quick setup on the denon and click tv audio connection it just freezes so i think there's probably something off
Process of elimination, check HDMI leads, check HDMI configuration in Tv and Denon. HDCP issue, unfortunately I’m not there so can’t analyze your Audio/video chain.

Can someone please explain to me how the device below can produce Dolby Atmos sound if the source is coming from the TV's Optical output?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/wireless-speakers-docks-accessories/wla-ns7

1647075641272.png

I have always understood Dolby Atmos to only be available through HDMI as Optical is incapable of carrying the bandwidth required to support it?

The fact that Sony have quoted 'Dolby Atmos' capability here is a little confusing or potentially misleading?

My guess is that this device is run by some clever software to reproduce a Dolby Atmos'like spatial effect to its supported headphones, but is not the real deal so to speak?

Last edited:
Can someone please explain to me how the device below can produce Dolby Atmos sound if the source is coming from the TV's Optical output?

View attachment 1666212

I have always understood Dolby Atmos to only be available through HDMI as Optical is incapable of carrying the bandwidth required to support it?

The fact that Sony have quoted 'Dolby Atmos' capability here is a little confusing or potentially misleading?

My guess is that this device is run by some clever software to reproduce a Dolby Atmos'like spatial effect to its supported headphones, but is not the real deal so to speak?
Maybe max dolby digital 5.1. No way in hell it will be able to produce Dolby atmos (lossy is not even possible). The bandwidth is simple not enough

View attachment 1666212

It’ll be taking the 5.1 and doing some kind of upmix into “Atmos”, presumably adding height channels primarily. Many amps do a similar thing with tech such as Dolby Surround. It’s not true Atmos in the sense it isn’t reviving an actual Atmos track, just an approximation of the effect of height channels.

Do you need this on stereo headphones? No. No you do not.

It’ll be taking the 5.1 and doing some kind of upmix into “Atmos”, presumably adding height channels primarily. Many amps do a similar thing with tech such as Dolby Surround. It’s not true Atmos in the sense it isn’t reviving an actual Atmos track, just an approximation of the effect of height channels.

Do you need this on stereo headphones? No. No you do not.
I use the pseudo atmos on my marantz..not true atmos in any way..but it does expand the soundstage and sounds good at that. Only have room for a 5.1 system in my living room

View attachment 1666212

What is the USB-C connection doing there? Just power?

What is the USB-C connection doing there? Just power?
Guess so... No other way to power it as Optical doesn't have the capability.

USB (TV) > USB-C (Wireless Device)

I use the pseudo atmos on my marantz..not true atmos in any way..but it does expand the soundstage and sounds good at that. Only have room for a 5.1 system in my living room
Oh yeah, works well on surround setups, I use it myself to add height to 5.1 sources. I never hear a difference on headphones, though.

Hello
I'm considering the A90j as an award-winning alternative to my LG 55C9, bought a little over two years ago. However, I have a question that I hope will be answered. I want to know if, thanks to the radiator on the A90j panel, depreciation and wear will be slower compared to a lower-end OLED TV? I ask this question because after only 2 years, the C9 image has significantly reduced its quality, especially the brightness, which even when it was new, was not impressive, but now it is too dark and often loses detail.
I guess with this rate of aging, after another year, or at most two, my LG will not be fit for normal use. So I hope that as a product of a higher class A90j, it will have a longer life, or... ?

Hello
I'm considering the A90j as an award-winning alternative to my LG 55C9, bought a little over two years ago. However, I have a question that I hope will be answered. I want to know if, thanks to the radiator on the A90j panel, depreciation and wear will be slower compared to a lower-end OLED TV? I ask this question because after only 2 years, the C9 image has significantly reduced its quality, especially the brightness, which even when it was new, was not impressive, but now it is too dark and often loses detail.
I guess with this rate of aging, after another year, or at most two, my LG will not be fit for normal use. So I hope that as a product of a higher class A90j, it will have a longer life, or... ?
Panel wear is from the pixels being used and building up heat. The harder they’re driven, the hotter they get and the quicker it occurs. Any OLED equipped with a heatsink, A90J included, should be able to mitigate heat and therefore panel wear more effectively than one without.

That said, if you are experiencing that severe quality drop from an OLED within 2 years, I’d take it up with LG or the retailer via warranty if possible. It should take tens of thousands of hours of use for the panel brightness to be noticeably changed… something can’t be right unless you’ve been running it 24 hours a day for the entire time.

Panel wear is from the pixels being used and building up heat. The harder they’re driven, the hotter they get and the quicker it occurs. Any OLED equipped with a heatsink, A90J included, should be able to mitigate heat and therefore panel wear more effectively than one without.

That said, if you are experiencing that severe quality drop from an OLED within 2 years, I’d take it up with LG or the retailer via warranty if possible. It should take tens of thousands of hours of use for the panel brightness to be noticeably changed… something can’t be right unless you’ve been running it 24 hours a day for the entire time.
It is used for about 7-8 hours a day, most often by children. The brightness is always at maximum because it is too dark. Maybe it contributed to the rapid wear?

Is turning off logo luminance detection off really a good idea? Surely every oled tv has this for a reason and none of them give you the option to turn it off in the regular menu. Didn’t the older OLEDs without these prevention settings get the old burn in?

Most definitely. I would go LED if that’s your use case.
I appreciate your opinion, and I think it is extremely reasonable. That's exactly what I did, I bought a Samsung QN95A, but I returned it last week because it had a dead pixel.
So I decided to try high-end OLED, but I'm worried that it might be the same as with the C9.
For standard viewing, movie series and sports, do you use the maximum brightness setting on your A90j?

Most definitely. I would go LED if that’s your use case.
It is used for about 7-8 hours a day, most often by children. The brightness is always at maximum because it is too dark. Maybe it contributed to the rapid wear?
and is one of the primary reasons I refuse to risk forking out OLED'esq money for our lounge TV when its primary use is by Children during the day & the Wife @ night, where even more alarmingly the content can often be found paused while they've been distracted for long periods of time elsewhere or via mobile devices...

Screensavers & heatsinks may mitigate the risk in the case of the A90J but not all TV's are as good at protecting themselves like this one.

I appreciate your opinion, and I think it is extremely reasonable. That's exactly what I did, I bought a Samsung QN95A, but I returned it last week because it had a dead pixel.
So I decided to try high-end OLED, but I'm worried that it might be the same as with the C9.
For standard viewing, movie series and sports, do you use the maximum brightness setting on your A90j?
Personally no, mine runs at 100 nits for SDR as I mainly watch in a dark room. I would honestly advise against driving any OLED as hard as you are for a multitude of reasons.

Even so, I would still go to LG about your C9. Even 8 hours x 730 days (2 years) equals 5840 hours - barely enough to achieve 3 panel refreshes. Maximum brightness should only halve at 50,000 hours, so even with your heavy usage you shouldn’t be seeing any serious degradation.

Personally no, mine runs at 100 nits for SDR as I mainly watch in a dark room. I would honestly advise against driving any OLED as hard as you are for a multitude of reasons.

Even so, I would still go to LG about your C9. Even 8 hours x 730 days (2 years) equals 5840 hours - barely enough to achieve 3 panel refreshes. Maximum brightness should only halve at 50,000 hours, so even with your heavy usage you shouldn’t be seeing any serious degradation.
I don't believe those hours that the manufacturer says it has to withstand the OLED panel. There are many allegations in the network that wear begins almost immediately after the first month, but becomes visible after 1-2 years. I'm not an expert, but in my experience it probably is.
The warranty expired a few months ago (at the end of last year) In addition, there is no damage, except for the dark picture, which was dark from the beginning, not as now, but still dark. I know that I can hardly prove such damage, I also know that in such cases they usually say that the cause is improper operation. Therefore, I do not think to wasting my time and nerves looking for warranty service.
I am interested in the A90J because now in my country, there is a very good offer, probably because of the upcoming premiere of the new models. But if, even with this top Sony model, it is likely to lose some of its qualities in two years, it will be too disappointing for me.

I don't believe those hours that the manufacturer says it has to withstand the OLED panel. There are many allegations in the network that wear begins almost immediately after the first month, but becomes visible after 1-2 years. I'm not an expert, but in my experience it probably is.
The warranty expired a few months ago (at the end of last year) In addition, there is no damage, except for the dark picture, which was dark from the beginning, not as now, but still dark. I know that I can hardly prove such damage, I also know that in such cases they usually say that the cause is improper operation. Therefore, I do not think to wasting my time and nerves looking for warranty service.
I am interested in the A90J because now in my country, there is a very good offer, probably because of the upcoming premiere of the new models. But if, even with this top Sony model, it is likely to lose some of its qualities in two years, it will be too disappointing for me.
Fair enough. I’d not risk another OLED in your situation and given your experience.

Fair enough. I’d not risk another OLED in your situation and given your experience.
Thanks man! Your proposals were the most pragmatic and sensible. I will also look at the new models with mini-LED panels, but I will continue to monitor the A90J.
Because you mentioned that you're watching your TV, 100 nits, but that can't guide me, can you tell me, on the brightness scale in the settings menu, 100 nits, half a scale, or less than half ?

Thanks man! Your proposals were the most pragmatic and sensible. I will also look at the new models with mini-LED panels, but I will continue to monitor the A90J.
Because you mentioned that you're watching your TV, 100 nits, but that can't guide me, can you tell me, on the brightness scale in the settings menu, 100 nits, half a scale, or less than half ?
The factory calibration targets the Judd whitepoint offset (x: 0.3067, y: 0.318) which 42 Brightness will give you 100nits on a10% window.

But all A90J are pushing Blue out of the box, so setting the correct white point D65 / 3127 x 329 once the grey scale is set correctly a 10% window and a brightness setting of 44 will give you 100 nits in SDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom