Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

I know there's a big update on ps5 this week. And everyone has "insider" tweets and info but people are saying VRR in this update surely the tvs at the sametime ? This fella is supposed to be reliable..this his tweet
Tidux isn't really known to be reliable. He's more of a "throw everything against the wall and see what sticks" type.
While I can see VRR arriving soon on PS5 and more Bravia TVs, his tweet seems to be an educated guess based on those PS5/TV videos and other information from Sony in the last few weeks.

Yes doing the Restart worked. All Internal Apps playing. Think I should probably do a Restart once a month.

Thanks Again.

I sometimes did it once every few days.. Kinda annoying but it's an easy fix for my Netflix solution... Glad to hear it worked out for u 2 bro.

It is very dependant on settings used. Those of us running SDR under 150-ish nits won’t see it because the dimming algorithm only kicks in around this threshold - so while it’s possible you’ve never seen it, the behaviour is there on all Sony OLEDs (and I’m sure on others, I’ve just not owned them to verify).

To the original poster - the short answer is no there is no setting that eliminates this behaviour as it is part of the TV protecting itself from image retention (caused by the static scoreboard in the football, most likely). You can stop it from doing it however by lowering a combination of the Brightness and Peak Luminance setting - from memory I think Brightness on 20 with Peak Luminance on Medium will be about the highest it can go before these protection measures kick in.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for taking the time! I will definitely tinker with my brightness settings then.

Guys from what I see on Sony website the latest firmware should have added VRR support now. Can anyone confirm this is the case (and it works)?

Cheers

Guys from what I see on Sony website the latest firmware should have added VRR support now. Can anyone confirm this is the case (and it works)?

Cheers
Link? Latest software added

v6.4304 which added the catch up apps. to uk services in December 2021 nothing since​

This year's A90J and sonys tvs I believe will launch with VRR that when I expect we will get ours.unless they decide to launch it at the same time as ps5 update

Last edited:
Hi All, I currently have a 55" XH90 and am thinking of upgrading to the 55" A90J. We watch a lot of Sky Q content (pretty much all is HD).
I'm happy enough with Sky on the XH90 but I'm worried that the new A90J may actually look worse after seeing some of the comments here. I wonder if anyone had made a similar move from the XH90 and could offer thoughts?

Also, we use the Sony remote to control Sky Q at the moment, I assume that still works with the A90J?

Last edited:

Cheers
If you are looking at the NL firmware, the latest on there did add support for some TVs in that region but not the A90J from what I can tell, though my language skills aren’t perhaps of an A+ standard.

• Voegt ondersteuning toe voor VRR (alleen voor de serie X85J-X86J-X89J)
Which according to Google Translate means VRR has been added just to those TVs listed.

If you are looking at the NL firmware, the latest on there did add support for some TVs in that region but not the A90J from what I can tell, though my language skills aren’t perhaps of an A+ standard.

Which according to Google Translate means VRR has been added just to those TVs listed.
You are correct.

I was looking at the UK website but I can see now that I misread. ☹️

Thanks for taking the time! I will definitely tinker with my brightness settings then.
Unfortunately Sony does not give you the ability to turn off ASBL in the SM like LG does. With it turned off in the SM, you can crank OLED light to 100 on the LG's and not get that dimming due to static logos.

I have this issue too (posted a page or two back about it). So far I’ve done a complete factory reset on my TV, recreated my All4 account to remove any database obscurities and it’s still doing it. I haven’t found a way to turn the AD off on the tv app, so resorted to binging Friday Night Dinner on my ATV box…
Has anyone found a fix for this yet? It's driving me mad!!

Has anyone found a fix for this yet? It's driving me mad!!
You need to talk with the makers of the app... All Sony does or doesn't allow the apps on its TV. This is clearly an App bug

Can’t believe this TV is still £2400 I mean seriously ? I was expecting it to be like £1500 by now when is the damn price going to drop I’ve been waiting since last April

Can’t believe this TV is still £2400 I mean seriously ? I was expecting it to be like £1500 by now when is the damn price going to drop I’ve been waiting since last April
Nope because it is still part of the official launch of 2022 TVs... The price is more than worth it.

I'm finding motion with motion flow high and smoothing to 1, clearness 0 is perfect . Especially on the free to air digital here in NZ . Also really impressed with the upscaling on the 1080i broadcast quality we get. Watching transformers the dark knight right now on free tv and it's excellent .

Anyone know if the A90j will support the Netflix new AV1 codec? And is the firmware updated yet?

Anyone know if the A90j will support the Netflix new AV1 codec? And is the firmware updated yet?
I have been able to play AV1 codec streaming content directly to the TV via the onboard YouTube app, so no reason why it cannot do the same via any other streaming source.

How you can identify which CODEC is being used via Netflix is another question though as the [i+] button on the remote only displays the bitrate and resolution whereas it would be nice to see the CODEC info too like is displayed on YouTube..??

Last edited:
I have been able to play AV1 codec streaming content directly to the TV via the onboard YouTube app, so no reason why it cannot do the same via any other streaming source.

How you can identify which CODEC is being used via Netflix is another question though as the [i+] button on the remote only displays the bitrate and resolution whereas it would be nice to see the CODEC info too like is displayed on YouTube..??

You are better off with buying Apple TV 4K which can display developer HUD or FireTV stick with Developer Tools.

Here are some screenshots from ATV 4K Developer HUD.

Attachments

• IMG_20201106_215510666_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201106_215510666_HDR.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20201222_165308625.jpg
    IMG_20201222_165308625.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20210213_234302184_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210213_234302184_HDR.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 55
So is the internal A90j Netflix app using the AV1 codec yet? If not, anyone have any idea when?

So VRR must be releasing on Monday then. That's the last day of January after all. 😁

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom