Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Can anyone get teletex on their A90J ? When i press the teletex button on the remote nothing happens. I'm sure it worked on my previous A1.
I used to be able to get that service back in the 80's & 90's on my old 24" Sony Trinitron CRT, but wasn't aware it existed these days..

Oh, the footie score page refreshes.. The memories!!

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
According to the spec online it says it has teletex, it's the button next to the "0" and below the "9" on the remote.
ooohhh lets browse some holidays...

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
According to the spec online it says it has teletex, it's the button next to the "0" and below the "9" on the remote.
Only if the feed which is coming through on the TV supports that service will it work.
Some countries may still run that kind of service but I'm not aware the UK still does.?

The www essentially destroyed it pretty much globally.

In the UK the BBC's 'Ceefax' Teletex service shut down in 2012.

djgarf

Standard Member
Only if the feed which is coming through on the TV supports that service will it work.
Some countries may still run that kind of service but I'm not aware the UK still does.?

The www essentially destroyed it pretty much globally.

In the UK the BBC's 'Ceefax' Teletex service shut down in 2012.
didnt realise it was still active that long
oh how i miss bamber boozle quizzes

StewBucks

I used to be able to get that service back in the 80's & 90's on my old 24" Sony Trinitron CRT, but wasn't aware it existed these days..

Oh, the footie score page refreshes.. The memories!!
Remember when you wanted page 1 but you started at page 2 of 16 and had to wait for all the pages to roll around. Then you’d get distracted waiting miss it and have to wait all over again. Thank god for fast text.

Anyone remember Bamboozle or the videogame magazine page on channel 4. Those where the days.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
just for info

A90J in America has just dropped $2000 dollars from today so retails now $5997! 65" will price drop by $500 dollars to $3297

i can only see a £200 drop on 55 and 65" in the UK which i think has been that price for a while and nothing on the 83" inch yet for those that are interested

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
didnt realise it was still active that long
oh how i miss bamber boozle quizzes
Remember when you wanted page 1 but you started at page 2 of 16 and had to wait for all the pages to roll around. Then you’d get distracted waiting miss it and have to wait all over again. Thank god for fast text.

Anyone remember Bamboozle or the videogame magazine page on channel 4. Those where the days.

It is still mocked to this day by people like Moi...

When I'm watching something on the TV and it's boring me to death I often quote..

"Rather watch fishing on Teletex"

Geesus

Distinguished Member
Just to conclude my minor tangent. Went with the P9 suggestion in the end and couldn’t be happier. In the most extreme parts of the house we are still getting 250Mb which seems a decent result for a budget outlay.

That speed pretty much covers any aspect of streaming and if full speed is needed for downloading the router isn’t far away and that is a rare occurrence.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
How is the vertical banding on the 83A90J? Any owners here who have had panel issues?

I am on my second 77A80J as the first one had 2 3 inch wide bands which stood out really bad. The second one has 5 1 cm wide bands. So far there hasn't been any improvements.

I am okay with thin and faint bands but mine is a bit thick and at times it does look distracting. Noticed the bands on 6 out of the 9 movies I had watched.

Return window ends in 3 weeks. In 2 minds as of now.

kevjp

How is the vertical banding on the 83A90J? Any owners here who have had panel issues?

I am on my second 77A80J as the first one had 2 3 inch wide bands which stood out really bad. The second one has 5 1 cm wide bands. So far there hasn't been any improvements.

I am okay with thin and faint bands but mine is a bit thick and at times it does look distracting. Noticed the bands on 6 out of the 9 movies I had watched.

That's a shame. I have 65 and not a single blemish or band at all.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

I suppose the bigger you go the more issues you might see. although i thought with these panels banding and DSE had all but been eliminated..i guess not

DJJez

my 83" A90J is flawless

Replicant

Has anyone noticed motion issues when using the internal BBC iplayer app, just started watching Superman & Lois and loads of motion issues , switched back to the Apple TV and its fine. Not sure if its a settings issue. Internal Netflix & Disney+ apps are fine

andykillsu

Has anyone noticed motion issues when using the internal BBC iplayer app, just started watching Superman & Lois and loads of motion issues , switched back to the Apple TV and its fine. Not sure if its a settings issue. Internal Netflix & Disney+ apps are fine
Do you have have Cinemotion on high?

Ashy

Haven't seen motion issues but the aspect ratio doesn't look quite right to me, anyone had this and if so, fixed it?

Hamad138

A90J will have motion Issues because the Android Version doesn't support frame rate matching.

Android 12 supports it though, so the TV need an Android update. Also the Apps needs updating

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
My God, is he still pissed that the Sony A90J came in a brown box? I mean come on man.

This guy is a supreme bellend...just click bait...and knows nothing about tvs..

Woodymogs

Haven't seen motion issues but the aspect ratio doesn't look quite right to me, anyone had this and if so, fixed it?
The AR on iPlayer wasn't quite right on my A80J initially (it was vertically stretched, but not by much).

I went into the settings and changed, played around with, the picture format settings (auto/wide etc). (You need to be in HD to do so, they'll be unavailable in 4k). IIRC, I think I may also have restarted the TV before putting the settings back to default. Either way, some combination of changing then restoring the settings rectified the problem for me, so hope this may work for you too.

Ashy

The AR on iPlayer wasn't quite right on my A80J initially (it was vertically stretched, but not by much).

I went into the settings and changed, played around with, the picture format settings (auto/wide etc). (You need to be in HD to do so, they'll be unavailable in 4k). IIRC, I think I may also have restarted the TV before putting the settings back to default. Either way, some combination of changing then restoring the settings rectified the problem for me, so hope this may work for you too.
Thanks mate, I'll take a look

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

dCS announces Bartók 2.0 firmware upgrade
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audiovector unveils QR 7 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification