Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

fluxedman

There is no perfect TV yeah. It has nothing to do with a negative comment.. This place is actually for owners of the TV.. And yeah I know I can sometimes respond in a very sarcastic way but trust me there were many people before you who posted comments about how lg is better and Bla Bla Bla.. It gets kinda tired after some time.

Its cool, this place has more testosterone then a Star Wars vs Star Trek convention, it was inevitable.

eng33

Well finally pressed the button and ordered an 83” A90J…. Currently I’m running a B&O Stage sound bar with my Sony KD-65A1 set, but apart from the increased bass I haven’t really been especially blown away by it. Anyone running a sound bar with an A90J and think it’s a much better audio solution than the built in screen speakers etc?

wxman2003

Well finally pressed the button and ordered an 83” A90J…. Currently I’m running a B&O Stage sound bar with my Sony KD-65A1 set, but apart from the increased bass I haven’t really been especially blown away by it. Anyone running a sound bar with an A90J and think it’s a much better audio solution than the built in screen speakers etc?
I have a Klipsch Cinema 800 5.1 system and it sounds a lot better than the tv speakers. You can only do so much with tv speakers. If Sony would allow for a subwoofer to be attached to the tv, it may sound better, but since they don't, even a cheap soundbar with a subwoofer will sound significantly better than the tv speakers.

Geesus

Well yeah, I was attempting to work out if the ABLs better or not so I needed to draw up a comparison from older sony OLED sets to the latest 2021 OLEDs or A90j.

It would be pretty hilarious though if I did ask A80j owners if the A90j ABL is better, id probably not make it out alive from there.

I don’t know how best to explain this to you, but the A90J is a different TV than the A80J. The fact that you thought the A90J thread was the best place to ask about dimming versus LG on a TV that this thread isn’t even created for, blows my tiny mind.

Why not ask in any LG owners thread the same question? Looking at your posting history you haven’t done this. It is very odd.

San5324

I have the Samsung q90r (7.1.4) and I'm trying to find somebody to buy it in Holland.. I want the Sony ht-a9.

Tim2049

I don’t know how best to explain this to you, but the A90J is a different TV than the A80J. The fact that you thought the A90J thread was the best place to ask about dimming versus LG on a TV that this thread isn’t even created for, blows my tiny mind.

Why not ask in any LG owners thread the same question? Looking at your posting history you haven’t done this. It is very odd.
Sweet geesus, leave the guy alone, he's being perfectly decent. If his aim was a little off so bloody what...

lgans316

Distinguished Member
My 2020 A8 dims aggressively during HDR football.

As much I love OLEDs, this is one of the reason I am switching to a 75ZH8.

Thankfully my Panny GZ OLED has a very relaxed ABL and ASBL. If Panasonic had a 77 with their custom heat sink I would have been all over it.

a5ian300zx

Hi,

Does anyone know how to change the screen aspect ratio setting? Mine are just locked, get feature not available message all the time regardless of input selected.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG20211204142602.jpg
    IMG20211204142602.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 48

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Does anyone know how to change the screen aspect ratio setting? Mine are just locked, get feature not available message all the time regardless of input selected.

Thanks
What content are you trying to change the aspect ratio for and why?

a5ian300zx

What content are you trying to change the aspect ratio for and why?

Media player, noticed the TV went into full pixel mode which had small borders and top and bottom even thought he file was encoded in full resolution.

I need to find out how to unlock it so I can change it.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I've never noticed any dimming of sports and like most lads on here I watch skys HLG broadcast of prem matches. Watched my team EFC get slaughtered by Liverpool in the Merseyside Derby.. in glorious high definition to prolong the torture...didn't see any dimming was hoping for a complete black screen

skywalker1010

Hi,
I have 'finally' got my 83" A90J on order, coming from JL tomorrow, cannot wait. Been a long journey over the last 12 months looking at everything from 8K QLED to various OLEDs. This new set is replacing 14 faultless years with a 52" Samsung LE52F96BD LCD. So 4K and HDR is 'hopefully' going to be a revelation! Now as a complete OLED Virgin, what do I need to be checking for and how on this screen when it is first fired up?. I read about uniformity and banding testing (hopefully nothing present on the new panel), but are these checked with just the Spears & Muncil disk or are there YouTube videos I can pull up on screen.

I have read about the D Nice calibration settings, obviously I want to get some hours on the panel before I need to go tinkering.

But any helpful suggestions in preparation for tomorrow would be great.

Thanks

Jenz

Hi,
I have 'finally' got my 83" A90J on order, coming from JL tomorrow, cannot wait. Been a long journey over the last 12 months looking at everything from 8K QLED to various OLEDs. This new set is replacing 14 faultless years with a 52" Samsung LE52F96BD LCD. So 4K and HDR is 'hopefully' going to be a revelation! Now as a complete OLED Virgin, what do I need to be checking for and how on this screen when it is first fired up?. I read about uniformity and banding testing (hopefully nothing present on the new panel), but are these checked with just the Spears & Muncil disk or are there YouTube videos I can pull up on screen.

I have read about the D Nice calibration settings, obviously I want to get some hours on the panel before I need to go tinkering.

Thanks
More experienced users will advise shortly but I like what I posted here:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I have a Klipsch Cinema 800 5.1 system and it sounds a lot better than the tv speakers. You can only do so much with tv speakers. If Sony would allow for a subwoofer to be attached to the tv, it may sound better, but since they don't, even a cheap soundbar with a subwoofer will sound significantly better than the tv speakers.

I had the 75ZH8 yesterday for few hours yesterday and it sounded as good a decent mid-end LCR.
Technology has come a long way.

12.5W + 12.5W + 12.5W + 12.5W + 5W + 5W (2 mid-range speakers, 2 subwoofers and 2 tweeters)

The Z9J has even more powerful speakers:

12.5 W + 12.5 W + 20 W + 20 W + 5 W + 5 W + 5 W + 5 W (2 midrange speakers, 4 tweeters, 4 subwoofers).

BigBoss83

Hi,

Thanks
I’m not experienced yet, but i advise you to first enjoy the set and don’t go looking for faults. Set the picture mode to custom and watch a few uhd 4k movies via disc and or stream. If you don’t see any issues then that’s a good sign at least.
More experienced users will advice later:)

San5324

Hi,

Thanks

Don't search for anything.

DJJez

anyone know if the price of the 83 is gonna drop to £5K anytime soon?

Jenz

Mine was £5.4 during Black Friday that was the best I’ve ever seen it. Needed it for Xmas so didn’t wait for Jan sales.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
M&K Sound launches V+ Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon launches DHT-S517 Dolby Atmos soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett