Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
What's odd about all this though mate is that BBC ITV and 5 are on the google TV Chromecast so I am not entirely sure its the platform which is the problem
It's a similar situ with the FireTV devices mate.. The Chromecast most likely has a different GoogleTV version.

For example, the FireTV Cube used to have the full-blown iPlayer [4K/UHD/HLG]
A while back the HLG part of the app broke and it can now only play up to UHD level (without the HLG)

The new FireTV Firestick 4K Max however can play the full spectrum of iPlayer [4k/UHD/HLG]

The only difference between the Cube and the Max is the FireOS version of the Max is a slightly higher version, the actual iPlayer app is exactly the same ver across both.

It's all about the underlying OS that makes it just so messy when it comes to iPlayer compatibility.

Chamberlain

So how is everyone’s uniformity looking on these sets including 100% white ?

Mine was pretty clean with vertical banding, some blue tint along the bottom though but wasn’t a big deal tbh. However the grid bothered me that was visible from a normal viewing distance in both sdr and hdr.

Sadly my A80J is even worse with grid and it’s got banding and tint as well lol.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Mine was pretty clean with vertical banding, some blue tint along the bottom though but wasn’t a big deal tbh. However the grid bothered me that was visible from a normal viewing distance in both sdr and hdr.

Sadly my A80J is even worse with grid and it’s got banding and tint as well lol.
What size A80J ?

D

Deleted member 433786

It's a similar situ with the FireTV devices mate.. The Chromecast most likely has a different GoogleTV version.

Hi mate, I get what your saying but this is a bit different I think, the Chromecast runs google TV based on android 10, same as Sony. It isn't proprietary and will be built from the same source, my gut feeling is its licensing which is the problem, like you say, possibly youview, and that will be on Sony not google to sort

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Hi mate, I get what your saying but this is a bit different I think, the Chromecast runs google TV based on android 10, same as Sony. It isn't proprietary and will be built from the same source, my gut feeling is its licensing which is the problem, like you say, possibly youview, and that will be on Sony not google to sort
So we have Youview on the 2020 Sony models (Android)

The 2020 'Chromecast with GoogleTV' has the UK Catchup apps, but appears not associated with Youview, according to the certified iPlayer supported list.

It's a bit of a mess, cause Google appear to have bought licenses for their own streaming device for the UK catchup apps, but seem unwilling to fork out more to service the TV's which their GoogleTV service reside on, those being the 2021 Sony & Hisense units..

Looks like a deal needs to be brokered between Google & Sony for who and how the UK Catchup Apps are to be licensed and serviced to the 2021 TV's associated with these two companies.

D

Deleted member 433786

So we have Youview on the 2020 Sony models (Android)

The 2020 'Chromecast with GoogleTV' has the UK Catchup apps, but appears not associated with Youview, according to the certified iPlayer supported list.

It's a bit of a mess, cause Google appear to have bought licenses for their own streaming device for the UK catchup apps, but seem unwilling to fork out more to service the TV's which their GoogleTV service reside on, those being the 2021 Sony & Hisense units..

Looks like a deal needs to be brokered between Google & Sony for who and how the UK Catchup Apps are to be licensed and serviced to the 2021 TV's associated with these two companies.

Ha Ha clear as mud isn't it, but I do think its up to the Hardware Vendors not the os maker, it has always been this way, for example Sony had both NOW and Apple TV long before the any other google/android TV devices (available through Sony Select), ALL4 is available on older Sony Sets but not on android tv boxes.

Also on older Sony Sets to access UK catchup services you would either have to go through Sony Select or by using the Sony Select shelf on the homescreen, apart from MY5 they have never shown on the play store.

wxman2003

View attachment 1611443

My 83" A90J arrived yesterday. Just barely into the elevator. I guess I could have pushed it in without the rollers.
Took some planning lifting it onto a rather high entertainment stand, but up and running now.

The HDR is glorious. Not as bright and blinding as my iPhone 12 Pro Max or Samsung S21 Ultra, but those are tiny devices and have not the impact of 83".

Since my last set was 64", I have to get used to lifting my head up to view most of the 83" screen.

1 early issue.
I get very low volume when paired with Apple Airpod Pro via Bluetooth.

Any Apple TV 4K users?
Any video improvement from the 2021 Apple TV 4K over the 2017 version? Thinking of adding it for my A90J.
Thanks.
Congratulations! Get the 2021 ATV4K. It fixed the elevated black DV bug that plagued the 2017 version.

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
Congratulations! Get the 2021 ATV4K. It fixed the elevated black DV bug that plagued the 2017 version.
I am a fan of the ATV4K box however, I can't really see much point in it when the A90J already has pretty much every native app you could want, bar of course, for now, the UKTV catch up apps. But you can get around this by casting to the built in chromecast anyway. So I'm not really sure what you're gaining unless you have lots of things bought from iTunes and want access to the extras, or you want to access ATV+ content in the max quality they provide, or you want the match frame rate functionality (frame rate stuff which can mostly be acheived with the native apps and the correct Motionflow & Film mode/Cinemotion settings)?

BigBoss83

is it normal that the picture settings you set on the home screen don’t carry over to the internal apps disneyplus, youtube, netflix and prime? And the picture settings i set for the above apps also don’t carry over to the app plex… so when i change picture settings to optimize my experience, i have to change it once for the 4 apps, then for plex and to my blu ray player hdmi input. The settings i set when i got the a90j for the home screen was for nothing it seems.

andykillsu

is it normal that the picture settings you set on the home screen don’t carry over to the internal apps disneyplus, youtube, netflix and prime? And the picture settings i set for the above apps also don’t carry over to the app plex… so when i change picture settings to optimize my experience, i have to change it once for the 4 apps, then for plex and to my blu ray player hdmi input. The settings i set when i got the a90j for the home screen was for nothing it seems.
Yes because all the picture settings are done on a per input per app bases so you can have whatever settings you want on each app/input.

PineappleSorbet

Novice Member
Hello AV Forums users,

I’ve got the 55 A90J but I understand these things are best getting calibrated? Input sources are: PS5, Sky Q, Apple TV and 4K BD.

Does anyone know of any professional calibrator covering the Midlands/Birmingham area?

Please and thanks!

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Hello AV Forums users,

I’ve got the 55 A90J but I understand these things are best getting calibrated? Input sources are: PS5, Sky Q, Apple TV and 4K BD.

Does anyone know of any professional calibrator covering the Midlands/Birmingham area?

Please and thanks!
Steve Kemp has done a lot of the calibrations of peoples 2021 Sony's from this forum this year.
Does an excellent job IMPO.

ISF calibration | Display and sound calibration | United Kingdom

Otherwise head on over to the map & list of UK calibrators located here > Find a TV and Projector Calibrator

eng33

Hi all, considering an A90J purchase as an upgrade from my current 65” A1. At the moment I’m using a Harmony Elite remote but really want to get rid of it and just use the TV remote. As I have a Oppo 4K blu-ray player located in a different room (although plan to move this into the sideboard the TV is sat on) I still need a remote solution that will work for devices not ‘in line of sight’. Question is will it be possible to use the remote that comes with the A90J to control the Blu-ray player when located behind a wooden door? I guess I’m thinking of an iR blaster / receiver set-up? Thanks.

andykillsu

Hi all, considering an A90J purchase as an upgrade from my current 65” A1. At the moment I’m using a Harmony Elite remote but really want to get rid of it and just use the TV remote. As I have a Oppo 4K blu-ray player located in a different room (although plan to move this into the sideboard the TV is sat on) I still need a remote solution that will work for devices not ‘in line of sight’. Question is will it be possible to use the remote that comes with the A90J to control the Blu-ray player when located behind a wooden door? I guess I’m thinking of an iR blaster / receiver set-up? Thanks.
You just use HDMI-CEC to control the player with the A90J remote.

eng33

Many thanks for the reply, excuse my ignorance but had never heard of HDMI CEC until you just mentioned it! Quick Google and now I know! So next dumb question, currently (and would still be my preference with A90J) the blu-ray player is connected to HDMI 3 ARC input on the TV via a B&O Stage sound bar in a HDMI pass-through configuration. In this set up, how does the HDMI CEC work from the Sony remote, ie how do I request the blu-ray player to switch on? Just select that input with the input select button? Thanks again.

andykillsu

Many thanks for the reply, excuse my ignorance but had never heard of HDMI CEC until you just mentioned it! Quick Google and now I know! So next dumb question, currently (and would still be my preference with A90J) the blu-ray player is connected to HDMI 3 ARC input on the TV via a B&O Stage sound bar in a HDMI pass-through configuration. In this set up, how does the HDMI CEC work from the Sony remote, ie how do I request the blu-ray player to switch on? Just select that input with the input select button? Thanks again.
Once you have a TV with eARC, you will be able to see the player through the soundbars input and it will come up as another option under HDMI-3. I don't think this is possible on a regular ARC TV.

stewjoy

Hello AV Forums users,

Please and thanks!
Canary Jules, he lives in Leicester.

StewBucks

You wait ages for a bus…
1638400147704.jpeg

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I'd read that the panny JZ2000 have introduced a firmware update with VRR 120 hz using the mediatek chip with no other supporting processor and resolved the half resolution issue so your getting full 4k 120 htz. And workd perfectly This is good news for us So we just need that update.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BBC licence fee to be scrapped in 2027
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett