Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

lgans316

Distinguished Member
If you have an Apple TV I would heartily recommend Infuse as it plays anything you throw at it Assuming you have a networked streaming setup.

I do have ATV and Zidoo dedicated media player but my question was about 4K HDR MKV playback via USB on this TV.

Cupp

As soon as the TV detects a DV signal it switches to DV mode on the TV. You can’t force it into Game mode unfortunately.

In the video, the input from the Xbox is LLDV and the output to the TV is HDR, so I don't know why you couldn't use Game Mode.

But I could be wrong.

a5ian300zx

I do have ATV and Zidoo dedicated media player but my question was about 4K HDR MKV playback via USB on this TV.

Hi,

How do you find the zidoo player? Does that playback 4k dolby vision from mkv? Any good?

I generally use the nvidia shield tv pro and plex or emby to playback 4k dolby vision in mkv

I did notice when I played back full truehd atmos track from a movie from Sony TV app to my Samsung Q950a that it all sounded off (low volume and vocals) and when I played back on the oppo it played back fine.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Hi,

How do you find the zidoo player? Does that playback 4k dolby vision from mkv? Any good?

I generally use the nvidia shield tv pro and plex or emby to playback 4k dolby vision in mkv

I did notice when I played back full truehd atmos track from a movie from Sony TV app to my Samsung Q950a that it all sounded off (low volume and vocals) and when I played back on the oppo it played back fine.

Zidoo is fine. Plays DV and HDR10+. No issues with it on the AV front. I don't use ARC. All my media devices are connected to HDMI IN of the bar.

StewBucks

I was like a kid all excited last night thinking of my new telly being delivered. Already planned to watch the football and have a movie night. Cables laid out in preparation. Then I get a text saying “Our apologies, due to adverse weather conditions, your order has been cancelled”Gutted :(

TonyM82

Not really sure what you mean because this TV will never do 4K 120 DV.
That’s what the VRROOM is for though isn’t it. From what I can gather the Sony TV’s EDID won’t allow it. The device on the video can play around with the EDID so the Sony TV will tick the boxes on the Series X. But without a dedicated gaming mode for Dolby Vision it introduces input lag.

San5324

I was like a kid all excited last night thinking of my new telly being delivered. Already planned to watch the football and have a movie night. Cables laid out in preparation. Then I get a text saying “Our apologies, due to adverse weather conditions, your order has been cancelled”Gutted :(

Dayum that suck.

Cupp

That’s what the VRROOM is for though isn’t it. From what I can gather the Sony TV’s EDID won’t allow it. The device on the video can play around with the EDID so the Sony TV will tick the boxes on the Series X. But without a dedicated gaming mode for Dolby Vision it introduces input lag.

I don't think it will be in Dolby Vision. In fact as soon as you turn on 120Hz the TV cannot do DV.

It will pre-processes the DV data into HDR, which any HDR display can show.

Here is an explanation how it worked on the Vertex:

Vroom will process the dynamic the metadata and the TV will receive HDR.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 433786

I don't think it will be in Dolby Vision. In fact as soon as you turn on 120Hz the TV cannot do DV.

Big thread on this here

and yep I expect it will be the same with the exception being it is a 4k120 signal

Cupp

Geesus

In the video, the input from the Xbox is LLDV and the output to the TV is HDR, so I don't know why you couldn't use Game Mode.

But I could be wrong.
You aren’t wrong. That is very interesting, although I’m not convinced that Dolby Vision and gaming is even necessary really.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Surely not 'Cancelled' Stew.. Just delayed in delivery yeah?
Although, hardly adverse weather conditions.. Been 30 mins of a snow shower earlier today which never settled due to it being wet on the ground.

The problem with some of these couriers is that if they get a sniff of any conditions below 2°c and wind speeds of 30+mph, it's all bets off for the day. Been nothing but a very chilly wind today where I am (Oxfordshire).

Although last night was a different story, so maybe if it was meant to be in transit between depos overnight, then that would most likely have put paid to today's delivery. :(

technoholic

Cancelled? Not delayed? Where in the country are you?

TonyM82

Ah okay, thanks for explaining. So it will look a little better and tick the boxes but won’t actually be proper DV. I might give it a miss then. HDR still looks great when gaming on this tv anyway.

StewBucks

Surely not 'Cancelled' Stew.. Just delayed in delivery yeah?
Although, hardly adverse weather conditions.. Been 30 mins of a snow shower earlier today which never settled due to it being wet on the ground.

The problem with some of these couriers is that if they get a sniff of any conditions below 2°c and wind speeds of 30+mph, it's all bets off for the day. Been nothing but a very chilly wind today where I am (Oxfordshire).

Although last night was a different story, so maybe if it was meant to be in transit between depos overnight, then that would most likely have put paid to today's delivery. :(
That was their wording but yeah only a delay in delivery. I’ve just this minute got another text with the same delivery slot so hopefully it’s back on. Weather up here in the northwest is a little windy but nothing like last night.

Doctor Bravestone

You aren’t wrong. That is very interesting, although I’m not convinced that Dolby Vision and gaming is even necessary really.
This. If you correctly set the games / HGIG console settings to the correct values, the main advantage of Dolby Vision is diminished. Don’t get me wrong I love it for movies, but Dolby Vision doesn’t hold as many advantages for gaming.

Cupp

I was one of the first 100 to pre-ordered the Vroom, months before the Dolby Vision for Xbox was even announced.

And I don't think Dolby Vision is even essential for movies with A90J tone mapping.

But I strongly believe there is value in having options. I rather the Vroom was able to do it and me not using it, than it not being able to do it at all.

Same reason why I upgrade the X800 to the X800M2.

Last edited:

a5ian300zx

Does anyone know if there has been any updates on the BBC iplayer and itv player apps yet?

johnemerson38

Standard Member
Hi everyone, trying to find out some information on what has happens when used all 10 credits on bravia core, how do you purchase more credits. Sony don't have any information on there website from what I can see.

wxman2003

Hi everyone, trying to find out some information on what has happens when used all 10 credits on bravia core, how do you purchase more credits. Sony don't have any information on there website from what I can see.
You cant purchase credits. However, you can do a factory reset on your tv, log back into Bravia Core and get another 10 free credits. I did that.

Geesus

I don’t think I have used any of my Bravia credits, and I don’t think I used any of that free Google Play store credit either. I wonder if that has an expiration date.

deon444

Distinguished Member
Only used 2 credits so far,one was bad boys for life:suicide::thumbsdow,the other was Lawrence of Arabia which I bought before on Blu-ray to watch on my Zt65, but never got round to watching.

As for the pic quality, I could never be happier with this A90J. Performs excellently on sports and 4k content is just stunning. No major tint or other uniformity issues. No near black flashing like I had with the Af9.

I do prefer the A90J to the GZ2000 I had ,and that was an amazing set as well but there really isn't all that much difference.

Will see next year what sony come up with if they are doing Qd Oled, but have no real urge to upgrade and would have to be an upgrade in size as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

NAD launches M23 hybrid stereo power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett