Sony A90J OLED Owners and Discussion Thread

chiumeister

Standard Member
I tried as well.

The HDR is definitely brighter on my Samsung S20 Ultra but that's an OLED display that goes up to 1350 nits.

I'd rather watch it on my A90J 83" though!

Yes, I get that brighter part too on my S21 Ultra and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Compared with the 83 A90J, are the car headlights, neon signs, Store Front-lit windows, similar to the S20 Ultra output? (3D-like appearance?)

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The thing is i came from a 2013 1080p sdr 55” model. Thus far i am very impressed with this tv. The motion is good because its a sony and the hdr is amazing at night. The highlights really pop. During daytime viewing hdr is not so impressive imo. Thats why i am gonna enjoy this set the most during night time when its dark. I’ll think you’ll be very impressed

HDR not Impressive on daytime even on my light cannon ZD9. I would never watch HDR contents in a bright environment unless it's for casual viewing.

a1blues

Looking to do 4k 120hz on my pc. I have windows 10 and gigabyte radeon rx580 8gb graphics but cannot do beyond 60hz?
Is it possible with the a90j tv and do i need another type of gfx card? If so anyone had success with other cards?

andykillsu

Looking to do 4k 120hz on my pc. I have windows 10 and gigabyte radeon rx580 8gb graphics but cannot do beyond 60hz?
Is it possible with the a90j tv and do i need another type of gfx card? If so anyone had success with other cards?
You need a graphics card that has HDMI 2.1 to get 4K 120z

GAmbrose

For what? If it's just to have a desktop at 4k/120hz then anything with HDMI 2.1 will do.

If you want to actually play games at 4k/120hz you will need some serious computing power. I use a Asus Strix 3090, connected to an LG C9 because it has G-sync support.

The Sony A90J does not have this.

StewBucks

Richersounds have a £200 voucher off the 55" A90J if anyones interested (only £100 off the 65 & 83 strangely). Thinking I've held on so long for a Black Friday deal I might as well see what offers are on, but I very tempted by this one. Surely there should be at least £200 off come BF, hopefully a little more.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Richersounds have a £200 voucher off the 55" A90J if anyones interested (only £100 off the 65 & 83 strangely). Thinking I've held on so long for a Black Friday deal I might as well see what offers are on, but I very tempted by this one. Surely there should be at least £200 off come BF, hopefully a little more.
The problem with Black Friday is that it can often be a frenzy on some desirable items.
I've got my eye on another Sony TV (Not OLED) for the garage gym and am sure it will come down in price for BF, but then there is the risk that you're gonna get the hardcore shoppers that snap all the good deals up at 00:01 on the morning of the day... :mad: The last thing I want is to be left with a Sammy or LG.. 🤮

😂

StewBucks

The problem with Black Friday is that it can often be a frenzy on some desirable items.
I've got my eye on another Sony TV (Not OLED) for the garage gym and am sure it will come down in price for BF, but then there is the risk that you're gonna get the hardcore shoppers that snap all the good deals up at 00:01 on the morning of the day... :mad: The last thing I want is to be left with a Sammy or LG.. 🤮

😂
Agree not only are you competing with other customers you're probably competing with people who resell on eBay/Amazon too. Given this TV is a bit over my normal budget I'm hoping this will make it less of a instant Black Friday sell out for most and the masses will fight it out over the Technika TVs in ASDA. Code runs out today and I've had the thing in my basket twice! Think I might wait still. :confused:

Jenz

I also want an 83inch over Black Friday. Do Richer Sounds or JL honour price reductions if you were to buy one a few days in advance?

StewBucks

I also want an 83inch over Black Friday. Do Richer Sounds or JL honour price reductions if you were to buy one a few days in advance?
Last black Friday me and my brother where after a LG CX (yes I've been waiting for TV that long). He bought his over the phone and asked if they would honour price reductions on black Friday and they said yes, this was probably about 3 weeks before so not sure how long that they will honour it for. He found the TV £50 cheap on Black Friday at a different retailer and they gave him the £50. I get the impression they're very good with Guarantees and price matching, unlike some well known stores.

avanzato

Have you tried 8bit colour and 4.2.0 chroma? It should lower the bandwidth enough for an HDMI 2.0 card to do 120hz, at least I understand it does with Nvidia cards.

kevjp

Last black Friday me and my brother where after a LG CX (yes I've been waiting for TV that long). He bought his over the phone and asked if they would honour price reductions on black Friday and they said yes, this was probably about 3 weeks before so not sure how long that they will honour it for. He found the TV £50 cheap on Black Friday at a different retailer and they gave him the £50. I get the impression they're very good with Guarantees and price matching, unlike some well known stores.
Guys - saving £50 on a TV that costs £3500 might be an idea for some but for me a waste of time waiting. Get the TV if you want quality viewing. Otherwise pop to currys for a £500 TV. There are plenty there.

games133

BigBoss83,

Sony A90J is said to have 750 nits brightness. Is this enough for HDR from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus? I have been watching these streaming HDR programs with the Apple Pro Display XDR and iPhone 12 Pro.

I never could get the rep at Best Buy to show how those QLED sets at up to 1500 nits play streaming HDR content. The OLED sets next to the LEDs always look bright enough, but since they are not WiFi connected, never saw how HDR shows appear on them.

There are some testers on Youtube that record on HDR, and the A90J did appear fantastic, so I guess those 750 nits figures are enough. Am I wrong?

BTW, did you sort out your 83" A90J set with your dealer? Do you have sunlight in the viewing area? My room has a large window about 16 feet away.

Thanks for sharing. :)
I've used my phone as a hot spot in currys before signed into my account and started tv content to see what it was going be like. But make sure you sign out when done

BigBoss83

Good morning,

I ordered the panasonic ub824. Can someone please let me know if i should get normal hdmi 2.1 cables for it (1 for video out and 1 for audio out)? Or will i notice a difference in quality if i buy let’s say Audioquest hdmi 2.1 forest 48gbps cables? I hope someone can help me with this.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Good morning,

I ordered the panasonic ub824. Can someone please let me know if i should get normal hdmi 2.1 cables for it (1 for video out and 1 for audio out)? Or will i notice a difference in quality if i buy let’s say Audioquest hdmi 2.1 forest 48gbps cables? I hope someone can help me with this.

I have these connected to my UB820. Only ever use 'Certified' HDMI cables for my AV equipment.

AUDIO/VIDEO CABLE

Barney Gumble

Good morning,

As per @IL Cattivo has stated:), you only need certified HDMI leads and don't need to spend the fifty odd quid plus on fancy Dan cables such as AudioQuest chap.

You don't gain anymore 0s or 1s for that extra outlay I'm afraid.

andykillsu

So we got an update today that add VRR for certain TVs (not the A90J), but it did add the PS5 Auto HDR and Auto genre picture mode! You will get this message when you start up your PS5.

So something I noticed is that after it automatically adjusted the HDR, the Always Output HDR was selected. I am very confident that I had HDR on when supported selected before. Trying a few things it appears that this might be what the Auto HDR thing does. Because if it turn it back to on when supported, it will make things it the YouTube App extremely bright and over exposed look. But if you keep it on Always HDR it looks right. I confirmed with the settings that HDR was always on. So either it needs always HDR on or the HDR when supported thing is broken. The picture mode was always correctly switching to Game when I was in a game and to Custom when I went into YouTube or Netflix. But everything looks okay to me with HDR Always on 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 181C66DD-B775-4690-98C8-1CF689E7974B.jpeg
    181C66DD-B775-4690-98C8-1CF689E7974B.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 95

San5324

So we got an update today that add VRR for certain TVs (not the A90J), but it did add the PS5 Auto HDR and Auto genre picture mode! You will get this message when you start up your PS5.

So something I noticed is that after it automatically adjusted the HDR, the Always Output HDR was selected. I am very confident that I had HDR on when supported selected before. Trying a few things it appears that this might be what the Auto HDR thing does. Because if it turn it back to on when supported, it will make things it the YouTube App extremely bright and over exposed look. But if you keep it on Always HDR it looks right. I confirmed with the settings that HDR was always on. So either it needs always HDR on or the HDR when supported thing is broken. The picture mode was always correctly switching to Game when I was in a game and to Custom when I went into YouTube or Netflix. But everything looks okay to me with HDR Always on 🤷‍♂️

I also always switched to custom or game mode with always on.

San5324

Where do u get that notification?

San5324

I updated to the latest version but I don't have urs.

Attachments

• 16355006378808952421956495225039.jpg
    16355006378808952421956495225039.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 54

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky to share F1 decider with Channel 4 in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 8th December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Cabasse adds Apple AirPlay to Pearl Collection speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Vestel launches TV remote app for 50 TV brands