Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

So I went to the Cinema for like the first time in ages, probably since prior to the 1st lockdown.
I watched DUNE.

Now, I'm not being funny... but I think I'm done with Cinema's now since I've got this TV. The projection onto that big screen was just nowhere near in the same ballpark as this OLED TV. There was very little clarity, the whole film was riddled with a charcoal haze instead of deep blacks and really what I saw simply didn't do the film any kind of justice other than the sound system.

I can't wait to see it properly in much better detail, clarity, contrast and with proper black levels when it's released to a decent UHD/HDR/DV format.
What kind of cinema screen did you watch it on?

I saw the midnight release of No Time To Die at the Odeon Luxe in Leicester Square in the 'Dolby Cinema'. It was class.

In general though, whenever I go to the cinema, I always try to watch in the larger screens that have Dolby Atmos.

For Showcase this is their xPlus screens.
For Odeon this is their iSense screens.
For Vue this is their Xtreme screens.
For Cineworld this is their Superscreen screens.

All 4 of thess types of screens are larger than normal, use Sony 4K digital projection and also (should) have Dolby Atmos sound.

Sometimes there is a film that comes out which is worth watching at an IMAX screen if there is one within someone's vicinity. However, apparently IMAX screens don't have Dolby Atmos sound. I haven't been able to confirm that though.

I always try and watch in 2D where possible as well, not overly bothered at all about 3D.

I sometimes have to watch films in standard cinema screens with normal cinema screen surround sound. This is because the Mrs gets free Odeon cinema tickets once a month with 02 priority. Can't complain too much though I guess seen as it's free, I just wish she'd inform me so I could steer us towards an iSense Odeon screen 😭

What kind of cinema screen did you watch it on?

I saw the midnight release of No Time To Die at the Odeon Luxe in Leicester Square in the 'Dolby Cinema'. It was class.

In general though, whenever I go to the cinema, I always try to watch in the larger screens that have Dolby Atmos.

For Showcase this is their xPlus screens.
For Odeon this is their iSense screens.
For Vue this is their Xtreme screens.
For Cineworld this is their Superscreen screens.

All 4 of thess types of screens are larger than normal, use Sony 4K digital projection and also (should) have Dolby Atmos sound.

Sometimes there is a film that comes out which is worth watching at an IMAX screen if there is one within someone's vicinity. However, apparently IMAX screens don't have Dolby Atmos sound. I haven't been able to confirm that though.

I always try and watch in 2D where possible as well, not overly bothered at all about 3D.

I sometimes have to watch films in standard cinema screens with normal cinema screen surround sound. This is because the Mrs gets free Odeon cinema tickets once a month with 02 priority. Can't complain too much though I guess seen as it's free, I just wish she'd inform me so I could steer us towards an iSense Odeon screen 😭
My local naff and run-down Cineworld. Probably the worst of the Cinema companies out there.
It was in one of their bigger screens at the venue, but nowhere near a 'SuperScreen'
The sound was alright, just the picture was atrocious!

My local naff and run-down Cineworld. Probably the worst of the Cinema companies out there.
It was in one of their bigger screens at the venue, but nowhere near a 'SuperScreen'
The sound was alright, just the picture was atrocious!

Only cinema I'm going (or at least used to go) were Dolby cinema.

However, apparently IMAX screens don't have Dolby Atmos sound. I haven't been able to confirm that though
They don’t because the IMAX standard has its own sound system that is required along with the dual projectors to be considered IMAX. I haven’t heard of any plans for them to start adding it either. They best screen I go to is 4DX or Marcus’s Ultrascreen which is a giant screen (As large/larger than most IMAX screens) with Dolby Atmos sound, I don’t think it has Dolby Cinema support. But not a big deal because another cinema near me has a Dolby Cinema screen. I watched a movie in it and honestly didn’t really see much of a difference compared to a regular screen, the Atmos effect was much more noticeable. Projectors are just too dim to do real HDR…

You will enjoy the immersion of the tv. And the highlights, the specular highlights. It’s awesome.
BigBoss83,

Sony A90J is said to have 750 nits brightness. Is this enough for HDR from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus? I have been watching these streaming HDR programs with the Apple Pro Display XDR and iPhone 12 Pro.

I never could get the rep at Best Buy to show how those QLED sets at up to 1500 nits play streaming HDR content. The OLED sets next to the LEDs always look bright enough, but since they are not WiFi connected, never saw how HDR shows appear on them.

There are some testers on Youtube that record on HDR, and the A90J did appear fantastic, so I guess those 750 nits figures are enough. Am I wrong?

BTW, did you sort out your 83" A90J set with your dealer? Do you have sunlight in the viewing area? My room has a large window about 16 feet away.

Thanks for sharing. :)

BigBoss83,

Sony A90J is said to have 750 nits brightness. Is this enough for HDR from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus? I have been watching these streaming HDR programs with the Apple Pro Display XDR and iPhone 12 Pro.

I never could get the rep at Best Buy to show how those QLED sets at up to 1500 nits play streaming HDR content. The OLED sets next to the LEDs always look bright enough, but since they are not WiFi connected, never saw how HDR shows appear on them.

There are some testers on Youtube that record on HDR, and the A90J did appear fantastic, so I guess those 750 nits figures are enough. Am I wrong?

BTW, did you sort out your 83" A90J set with your dealer? Do you have sunlight in the viewing area? My room has a large window about 16 feet away.

HDR is still stunning on these sets because they go darker than LCD TVs, so the range is as striking overall in my opinion. You won’t see many OLEDs going much brighter from this point on either way, for power reasons and screen life etc.

BigBoss83,

The thing is i came from a 2013 1080p sdr 55” model. Thus far i am very impressed with this tv. The motion is good because its a sony and the hdr is amazing at night. The highlights really pop. During daytime viewing hdr is not so impressive imo. Thats why i am gonna enjoy this set the most during night time when its dark. I’ll think you’ll be very impressed

BigBoss83,

The thing is i came from a 2013 1080p sdr 55” model. Thus far i am very impressed with this tv. The motion is good because its a sony and the hdr is amazing at night. The highlights really pop. During daytime viewing hdr is not so impressive imo. Thats why i am gonna enjoy this set the most during night time when its dark. I’ll think you’ll be very impressed
I haven’t tested prime yet. Disney is pretty good. On netflix i only saw squid game, which was good looking imo. Yesterday i saw a few movies on bravia core. This looked and sounds much better then netflix because of the high bitrate.

I still have to test uhd blu ray movies. I have to buy the panasonic ub824 for this. First thing to do next for me is wall mount this tv.

You are going to notice quality more the bigger your set, but on my portable 55”, Apple TV’s 4K streams look as good as the UHDs. Easily the best streaming quality out there for me.

Hello everyone!

First time posting here, I recently bought a Sony A90J and I'm starting to get used to watch content in HDR and DV.

This leads me to my question: Even if I disable HDR in the picture settings, it still automatically turns on when I watch a DV movie in Netflix or Disney+ (using the TV internal apps).

Is this a bug or am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone help me on how can I disable HDR/DV on this TV when using internal apps like amazon, netflix, disney+, etc

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone!

First time posting here, I recently bought a Sony A90J and I'm starting to get used to watch content in HDR and DV.

This leads me to my question: Even if I disable HDR in the picture settings, it still automatically turns on when I watch a DV movie in Netflix or Disney+ (using the TV internal apps).

Is this a bug or am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone help me on how can I disable HDR/DV on this TV when using internal apps like amazon, netflix, disney+, etc

Thanks in advance!
You can’t disable HDR, what you are disabling is the HDR Tone Mapping which I suggest you don’t disable, leave it on Gradation Preferred.

I haven’t tested prime yet. Disney is pretty good. On netflix i only saw squid game, which was good looking imo. Yesterday i saw a few movies on bravia core. This looked and sounds much better then netflix because of the high bitrate.

I still have to test uhd blu ray movies. I have to buy the panasonic ub824 for this. First thing to do next for me is wall mount this tv.

Have you tried some of those HDR walking around clips on YouTube in HDR, like this one in London?

On my iPhone 12 Pro Max and 32" Apple Pro Display XDR, the specular highlights are near blinding, and the overall effect is nearly 3D. In fact, the HDR effect on these smaller OLED mobile screens made me forget how wonderful 3D was on my old (now broken) Sony 4K 65" LED TV.

Please let me know how the above and other YouTube HDR clips look on your 83" OLED Sony and if you can, how the play compares with your latest iPhone or Android devices.

Thanks!

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!
If you feed the TV HDR content you must leave it enabled on the TV or it will not process correctly. Do not change the HDR Mode setting as this doesn’t turn off HDR, only how the TV expects the signal. If it’s mismatched everything will look terrible.

If you wish to reduce the luminance of HDR (presumably why you are turning it “off”?) while maintain correct mapping, find the Peak Luminance setting under Brightness and set it to Low or Off - this setting will be preserved.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to turn off the biggest leap forward in picture quality since well, forever?

Anybody knows if the vogel’s thin 550 is a good wallmount for the 83” a90j? I have no experience with wallmounts.

Attachments

• 69562FBC-0F65-474D-BC0D-1A7A82DB6235.png
    69562FBC-0F65-474D-BC0D-1A7A82DB6235.png
    309 KB · Views: 36
Have you tried some of those HDR walking around clips on YouTube in HDR, like this one in London?

On my iPhone 12 Pro Max and 32" Apple Pro Display XDR, the specular highlights are near blinding, and the overall effect is nearly 3D. In fact, the HDR effect on these smaller OLED mobile screens made me forget how wonderful 3D was on my old (now broken) Sony 4K 65" LED TV.

Please let me know how the above and other YouTube HDR clips look on your 83" OLED Sony and if you can, how the play compares with your latest iPhone or Android devices.

Thanks!

I’ll check tonight and report back.

Did anyone manage to root their A90J? I just need to change the dedicated buttons to something else. Tried Button remapper and it works ok up until the moment when you have to turn the volume up or down. So... anyone rooted?

If you feed the TV HDR content you must leave it enabled on the TV or it will not process correctly. Do not change the HDR Mode setting as this doesn’t turn off HDR, only how the TV expects the signal. If it’s mismatched everything will look terrible.

If you wish to reduce the luminance of HDR (presumably why you are turning it “off”?) while maintain correct mapping, find the Peak Luminance setting under Brightness and set it to Low or Off - this setting will be preserved.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to turn off the biggest leap forward in picture quality since well, forever?

Sorry, I wasn't too specific, I tried to turn off HDR on the "Video Signal" options. (from Auto to Off).

From what I heard Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest, this should do exactly that and disable that functionality. I would expect internal apps like Netflix to stream content in SDR like they do in every TV set that doesn't support HDR or Dolby Vision.

My main issue is watching content with dark scenes like horror movies and horror shows (like Midnight Mass) at night in a dark room, subtitles in Dolby Vision are way too bright. I tried changing the Peak Luminance from High to Mid (better but still bright) and Low (even Off) but picture would get too dark and lost too many shadow detail on those dark scenes.

I even tried to change subtitles format on Netflix (you can only do this using a web browser), with the best option being setting them to white semi-transparent to reduce the brightness, but when playing SDR content they get too dim, its not a good trade off.

Basically, for watching movies or shows that have a lot of dark scenes I prefer SDR, just because I use subtitles with every content and they get way too distracting because of the brightness and even hurts a little too much my eyes when watching at night.

Any help would be welcome! :)

Sorry, I wasn't too specific, I tried to turn off HDR on the "Video Signal" options. (from Auto to Off).

From what I heard Vincent Teoh from HDTVTest, this should do exactly that and disable that functionality. I would expect internal apps like Netflix to stream content in SDR like they do in every TV set that doesn't support HDR or Dolby Vision.

My main issue is watching content with dark scenes like horror movies and horror shows (like Midnight Mass) at night in a dark room, subtitles in Dolby Vision are way too bright. I tried changing the Peak Luminance from High to Mid (better but still bright) and Low (even Off) but picture would get too dark and lost too many shadow detail on those dark scenes.

I even tried to change subtitles format on Netflix (you can only do this using a web browser), with the best option being setting them to white semi-transparent to reduce the brightness, but when playing SDR content they get too dim, its not a good trade off.

Basically, for watching movies or shows that have a lot of dark scenes I prefer SDR, just because I use subtitles with every content and they get way too distracting because of the brightness and even hurts a little too much my eyes when watching at night.

Changing the HDMI Format will have 0 effect on the internal apps. If you only want to watch in SDR, you need something external.

Installing kodi along the Disney and Netflix addons will allow you to fetch the SDR streams

Thanks!

Just checked. It looks amazing on the tv. I also checked it on my iphone 10s and there is no comparison:)

So i got the 83” and i have to wall mount it next. I also have to buy a uhd blu ray player. From what i read the panasonic ub820 is the one to get. Here in holland there is a different kind of model. Anybody know the differences between the versions below? I want to buy the right one.

Panasonic DPUB820EFK - not available
Panasonic DP-UB824EGK - available soon

Thanks!

I tried as well.

The HDR is definitely brighter on my Samsung S20 Ultra but that's an OLED display that goes up to 1350 nits.

I'd rather watch it on my A90J 83" though!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom