Sony A90J OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread

That's the one I have my SSD drive plugged into to extend the TV's storage as its onboard storage is just pathetic. 5 additional apps installed above the ones that come with it and you're done!! :confused:

LOL I would never install anything else so I don't worry about that ha.

This leads me on to the 'Calman for Bravia' App.. I take it the Custom Pro 1 & 2 options won't disappear if it's uninstalled or should it always remain in place on a calibrated set?
They shouldn’t do. Why would you remove it out of interest?

They shouldn’t do. Why would you remove it out of interest?
I wanted to install a WiFi Analyser app from the Google Play Store on the TV and it said I had run out of storage..!! Pitiful for a £3.5k tv I have to say. I've resolved it by adding a USB SSD drive to TV, but before doing so was looking at apps I could get rid of first. Now I have 128GB of extra external storage on top of its paulty local storage I won't need to remove it now. :)

Maybe that's why they haven't released the catch-up apps yet, there's no room to install them :laugh:
Do you know what... that's actually a very good point.
Which tells me that this set may actually never see them.

i would think the catchup apps will come as part of a firmware update so will be installed in a different place to the apps you install yourself. the area they will of reserved for the system partition will be far larger than what is actually needed

i would think the catchup apps will come as part of a firmware update so will be installed in a different place to the apps you install yourself. the area they will of reserved for the system partition will be far larger than what is actually needed
Yeah, I would probably have to agree with that statement and is the reason why you can't actually permanently remove the in-built apps that came with the TV.
They're probably already there somewhere, just hidden from sight until the relevant fw update is pushed to expose them.

So i ordered the usb 3.0 gigabit to ethernet adapter (cable matters) from amazon.nl and i received the usb 3.1 gigabit to ethernet adapter. I plugged it in and it doesn’t connect to the internet. Is this because 3.1 isn’t supported on the tv? I tried the usb3 port and also the slower usb port and it doesn’t work.

Edit: my wifi was also turned off so that’s not causing it not work properly.

Last edited:
So i ordered the usb 3.0 gigabit to ethernet adapter (cable matters) from amazon.nl and i received the usb 3.1 gigabit to ethernet adapter. I plugged it in and it doesn’t connect to the internet. Is this because 3.1 isn’t supported on the tv? I tried the usb3 port and also the slower usb port and it doesn’t work.

Any 3.1 device should be backwards compatible with 3.0. Its throughput will just be at the level of 3.0 and not 3.1.

So I went to the Cinema for like the first time in ages, probably since prior to the 1st lockdown.
I watched DUNE.

Now, I'm not being funny... but I think I'm done with Cinema's now since I've got this TV. The projection onto that big screen was just nowhere near in the same ballpark as this OLED TV. There was very little clarity, the whole film was riddled with a charcoal haze instead of deep blacks and really what I saw simply didn't do the film any kind of justice other than the sound system.

I can't wait to see it properly in much better detail, clarity, contrast and with proper black levels when it's released to a decent UHD/HDR/DV format.

Then i guess it’s just not working on mine unfortunately.
That's odd.. cause it should..??

From wiki
The USB 3.1 standard is backward compatible with USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. It defines the following transfer modes:

• USB 3.1 Gen 1 – SuperSpeed, 5 Gbit/s data signaling rate over 1 lane using 8b/10b encoding (effective 500 MB/s); the same as USB 3.0
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 – SuperSpeed+, new 10 Gbit/s data rate over 1 lane using 128b/132b encoding (effective 1212 MB/s)

So I went to the Cinema for like the first time in ages, probably since prior to the 1st lockdown.
I watched DUNE.

Now, I'm not being funny... but I think I'm done with Cinema's now since I've got this TV. The projection onto that big screen was just nowhere near in the same ballpark as this OLED TV. There was very little clarity, the whole film was riddled with a charcoal haze instead of deep blacks and really what I saw simply didn't do the film any kind of justice other than the sound system.

I can't wait to see it properly in much better detail, clarity, contrast and with proper black levels when it's released to a decent UHD/HDR/DV format.
Same here. Gonna wait for the uhd blu rays:)

@BigBoss83

My boy is watching something on mine at the moment. But maybe you have to go into the settings somewhere and disable the onboard wireless from working first and then see if it's listed as an Ethernet device under USB devices or something afterwards? Pretty sure it won't allow both to be active at the same time...

I don't have a USB Ethernet device but will take a look once my boy has hit the sack.

I watched DUNE.

I watched it on HBO Now in 4K DV and it was similarly soft. I think that was just the intended style. Granted, it is a stream, so it will be interesting to see how it fares when it arrives on UHD. Cracking film though. It is another torture test movie for OLEDs too. Like Arrival before it.

@BigBoss83

My boy is watching something on mine at the moment. But maybe you have to go into the settings somewhere and disable the onboard wireless from working first and then see if it's listed as an Ethernet device under USB devices or something afterwards? Pretty sure it won't allow both to be active at the same time...

I don't have a USB Ethernet device but will take a look once my boy has hit the sack.
I already tried that. Also didn’t work.

I watched DUNE.

How was the actual film? Been looking forward to watching it.

Exactly the same situation here…any ideas to solve the issue? I have tried to buy TPLINK UE300, i’ll receive it next sunday ad i’ll try

Thanks again. The TP Link adaptor works great.

I had the 'Cable Matters' adaptor for less than two weeks and last week I was still getting between 420 and 451Mbps.

Since the software updates to the SONY TV on Saturday, the 'Cable Matters' adaptor now consistently yields a result between 107 and 121Mbps in a speed test. This is despite the router indicating that it has negotiated a link speed of 1Gbps.

The TP-Link adaptor works fine and I'm now getting a speed test result of 455Mbps.:lesson:
Hi, can i ask you you firmware version? I bought a cable matters adapter but it doesn’t work! Now i’ve bought this tplink and waiting for delivery

Hello, about to join this group and buy the 83" A90J.
This will replace my beloved 7.5 yo Sony XBR-65X900A (with 3D)
That said, has any of you compared the Samsung QN900A 8K 85" with the 83" A90J?
Love to learn what you found.
Thanks.

Hello, about to join this group and buy the 83" A90J.
This will replace my beloved 7.5 yo Sony XBR-65X900A (with 3D)
That said, has any of you compared the Samsung QN900A 8K 85" with the 83" A90J?
Love to learn what you found.
Thanks.
I’ve got a 65” A90J. Love the thing, my mates just got a 77” LG G1. It’s awesome. Get the 83” Sony 😁

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom